Abdoulaye Wade of the Senegal has almost completed: Colossus

Started by Syt, November 22, 2009, 03:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on April 05, 2010, 01:11:58 AM
I'd even go further: virtually no really impressive building, place or monument has been constructed by democratic rich European countries. All the really impressive architectural feats were by monarchies or dictatorships. Stuff like Baron Haussman's redesign of Paris would not work in modern times.

I guess that Barcelona's "Sagrada Familia" is the exception to the rule, then. ;)

Cecil

Quote from: The Larch on April 05, 2010, 06:57:37 AM
I'd even go further: virtually no really impressive building, place or monument has been constructed by democratic rich European countries. All the really impressive architectural feats were by monarchies or dictatorships. Stuff like Baron Haussman's redesign of Paris would not work in modern times.

I guess that Barcelona's "Sagrada Familia" is the exception to the rule, then. ;)

Call us back when they finish the thing. Problem is that most of us are long dead by then. And even so I think the best description of the damn thing I saw would be tacky and tasteless. I prefer the cathedral tbh.

Neil

Not at all.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on April 05, 2010, 06:48:56 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 05, 2010, 06:42:56 AM
Quote from: Zanza on April 05, 2010, 03:13:27 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 05, 2010, 01:17:34 AMFrance was a republic when the Statue of Liberty was built wasn't it?
The Statue of Liberty in Paris is not particularly impressive. It's just 10 meters or so high. The Eiffel Tower would be an exception though as it was built by the Third French Republic.

QuoteWhat about all of America's monuments?
Did you miss the word "European" in Neil's and my posts?  :huh:

Yes.

Also, the Statue of Liberty isn't only 10m tall.

"The statue is 151 ft (46 m) tall, but with the pedestal and foundation, it is 305 ft (93 m) tall."

:lol:

:hmm:

:huh:

I assume you are continuing this as a jest, Tim? After all, I'd hate to think your reading skills are that bad... ;)
:weep:

People see what they expect to see.

I had no idea there was a statue of Liberty in Paris and assumed he was talking about the same statue I was.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grallon

Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2009, 03:55:11 AM

Women walk past rubbish heaps and unfinished homes in a neighborhood at the base of the nearly-completed 50-meter-high (328-foot-high) bronze statue dubbed the Monument of the African Renaissance in Dakar, Senegal.

Nothing like like erecting monuments to the inflated egos of african leaders while their people are living in and eating shit.   :rolleyes: 

Silly 3rd worlders.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

The Larch

Quote from: Neil on April 05, 2010, 07:05:35 AM

Not at all.

The Big Ben and the Monument to Vittorio Emmanuele II were the other two that came to my mind...  :hmm:

The Larch

Quote from: Cecil on April 05, 2010, 07:03:11 AM

Call us back when they finish the thing. Problem is that most of us are long dead by then. And even so I think the best description of the damn thing I saw would be tacky and tasteless. I prefer the cathedral tbh.

It is scheduled for 2026, so I guess that all of us will get to see it finished.  ;)

Cecil

Quote from: The Larch on April 05, 2010, 07:21:23 AM
Quote from: Cecil on April 05, 2010, 07:03:11 AM

It is scheduled for 2026, so I guess that all of us will get to see it finished.  ;)

:lmfao:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grallon on April 05, 2010, 07:18:03 AM
Nothing like like erecting monuments to the inflated egos of african leaders while their people are living in and eating shit.   :rolleyes: 

Silly 3rd worlders.
Sort of like the Montreal Olympics?

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on April 05, 2010, 06:55:57 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 05, 2010, 01:17:34 AM
What about all of America's monuments?
Does America actually have any nice monuments?

In Nebraska there is a cow made entirely from barbed wire.  It might be a buffalo. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: The Larch on April 05, 2010, 07:19:02 AM
The Big Ben and the Monument to Vittorio Emmanuele II were the other two that came to my mind...  :hmm:
The industrial revolution was glorious, wasn't it?  Mind you, neither of those countries were really democracies.

Neil

Silly 3rd worlders.
Why are they silly?  That's what civilized people do.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on April 05, 2010, 07:46:41 AM

Silly 3rd worlders.
Why are they silly?  That's what civilized people do.

Well how would Grallon know?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017