Abdoulaye Wade of the Senegal has almost completed: Colossus

Started by Syt, November 22, 2009, 03:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

Quote from: Grallon
Nothing like like erecting monuments to the inflated egos of african leaders while their people are living in and eating shit.   :rolleyes: 

Silly 3rd worlders.

I'm with Neil. Versailles was built while the people of Paris were reduced to eating rats.

Basically all of the pre-XXth century great monuments anywhere were built at great suffering from the people. If leaders had no inflated egos, we would not have anything left of note from the past.

I do like the statue, but does it mean that Senegal has only recently discovered Metal Casting?  :huh:

Cecil

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 05, 2010, 07:54:29 AM
Nothing like like erecting monuments to the inflated egos of african leaders while their people are living in and eating shit.   :rolleyes: 

Silly 3rd worlders.

I'm with Neil. Versailles was built while the people of Paris were reduced to eating rats.

Basically all of the pre-XXth century great monuments anywhere were built at great suffering from the people. If leaders had no inflated egos, we would not have anything left of note from the past.

I do like the statue, but does it mean that Senegal has only recently discovered Metal Casting?  :huh:

Bah oldstyle colossus is bronze working. ;)

Neil

Quote from: Cecil on April 05, 2010, 08:13:43 AM
Quote from: Martim Silva on April 05, 2010, 07:54:29 AM

Silly 3rd worlders.

Bah oldstyle colossus is bronze working. ;)
Will Mali be overrun by phalanxes?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2010, 07:30:28 AM
Quote from: Grallon on April 05, 2010, 07:18:03 AM

Silly 3rd worlders.
Sort of like the Montreal Olympics?

Poutine isn't shit.

Admittedly, it may *look* like shit ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 05, 2010, 07:19:02 AM
The Big Ben and the Monument to Vittorio Emmanuele II were the other two that came to my mind...  :hmm:
To be fair the Palace of Westminster was built because the first one burned down.  Admittedly they didn't have to hire Pugin....

Initially they planned to move it into Buckingham Palace but that was rejected as too Royalist, similarly a neo-Classical design was rejected as too Republican.

Thinking of modern 'monuments' there aren't very many that spring to mind.  A few war memorials (the women of war in London - which I think is superb - and the Vietnam memorial spring to mind) aside from that the most impressive and remarkable public monumentry seems to be in Berlin.  The redeveloped Reichstag, complete with dome, the Jewish memorial, the new Chancellery and so on.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

It's not as if the money was ever going to be spent on the poor of Senegal. They got the statue and the president's Swiss bank account is slightly poorer than it would have been.

As for monuments in the UK, the secular ones are underwhelming; what I find most impressive are the dozens of cathedrals and thousands of churches that were built when the country had only a few million inhabitants.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 05, 2010, 02:42:09 PM
As for monuments in the UK, the secular ones are underwhelming; what I find most impressive are the dozens of cathedrals and thousands of churches that were built when the country had only a few million inhabitants.
I'd agree, the Churches and Cathedrals are England's museums really.  They're the repository of a lot of our history.  You see the architectural styles and shapes, the local posing of local potentates and the quiet seriousness of generations of wardens with plaques on the walls.  You're also confronted with the tragedy of our wars, when you stand in a church surrounded by the dead and only tens of houses in the village and there, on a wooden board, is the list of tens and twenties of local Great War dead.  You see their ages and their ranks and you imagine the family connections (often from them to someone on a marble plaque).  They're remarkable buildings with their real and historical communities.

I often go into churches just to see what's there and very often in countryside and city they're impressive and charming.  What I love is how you go into one and find some unexpected turn or feature that ties this small building and the small community buried around it to the more general historical narrative you have.  It's like the general flow of time rushing over this tiny pebble in some little village far away in Shires.

The Cathedrals too are in a class of their own, though for rather different reasons.

Scottish Churches are far less interesting/more depressing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Its the way in most European cities really...When I'm travelling my photos always seem to be mainly of churches
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on April 05, 2010, 03:33:38 PM
Its the way in most European cities really...When I'm travelling my photos always seem to be mainly of churches
It's true.  Each nation's churches have their own character though.  I always remember how disappointed I was when I stepped into one in Rome that looked superb from the outside only to discover it was owned by Romanian Seventh Day Adventists who'd white-washed everything and probably burned the statuary <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 05, 2010, 03:38:51 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 05, 2010, 03:33:38 PM
It's true.  Each nation's churches have their own character though.  I always remember how disappointed I was when I stepped into one in Rome that looked superb from the outside only to discover it was owned by Romanian Seventh Day Adventists who'd white-washed everything and probably burned the statuary <_<

:lol:

You'd love some of the baptist churches. A couple of box fans, peeling paint on the walls, a restroom that hasn't been cleaned since Jesus walked into the temple. Wood paneling on the basement walls.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive