Abdoulaye Wade of the Senegal has almost completed: Colossus

Started by Syt, November 22, 2009, 03:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 04, 2010, 08:57:08 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 22, 2009, 07:04:45 AM
It does have a very "Sovietesque" look to it.
Not that that's a bad thing - if there's one thing the Soviets did well, it was large, intimidating monuments and buildings.

The statue is done and I think it looks like it has much more of a fascist influence than a Soviet one. It has a distinct superheroic "Arayn" flair to it. Just need to change the facial features and it would like fine in Nazi Germany or Fascist Italy.

I agree. The Arayn influences here are remarkable.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Agelastus

I'd say the impression it gives of the man having his feet stuck in the rock of Africa is a perfect symbol to represent how modern Africa is still trapped by its' history, both recent and colonial.

And you're semi-naked but you still remember your hat? :lmfao: I thought Senegal was a French colony, not a British one. :hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Zanza

Quote from: Neil on April 04, 2010, 09:08:47 PM
Who cares?  It's not like many excellent European monuments weren't built while most of the citizenry lived in abject poverty.
I'd even go further: virtually no really impressive building, place or monument has been constructed by democratic rich European countries. All the really impressive architectural feats were by monarchies or dictatorships. Stuff like Baron Haussman's redesign of Paris would not work in modern times.

Jaron

I'll go even further than that:

The US didnt even pay for the fucking statue of liberty and all our other monuments are butt ugly. The Washington monument looks like an erection and all our other monuments are either war memories or lifelike statues (which we can all agree are the least sincere form of art)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zanza on April 05, 2010, 01:11:58 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 04, 2010, 09:08:47 PM
Who cares?  It's not like many excellent European monuments weren't built while most of the citizenry lived in abject poverty.
I'd even go further: virtually no really impressive building, place or monument has been constructed by democratic rich European countries. All the really impressive architectural feats were by monarchies or dictatorships. Stuff like Baron Haussman's redesign of Paris would not work in modern times.
France was a republic when the Statue of Liberty was built wasn't it?

What about all of America's monuments?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 22, 2009, 07:04:45 AM
It does have a very "Sovietesque" look to it.
Not that that's a bad thing - if there's one thing the Soviets did well, it was large, intimidating monuments and buildings.

The statue is done and I think it looks like it has much more of a fascist influence than a Soviet one.

Possibly, but since the two styles are identical how would anyone ever know?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 05, 2010, 01:17:34 AMFrance was a republic when the Statue of Liberty was built wasn't it?
The Statue of Liberty in Paris is not particularly impressive. It's just 10 meters or so high. The Eiffel Tower would be an exception though as it was built by the Third French Republic.

QuoteWhat about all of America's monuments?
Did you miss the word "European" in Neil's and my posts?  :huh:

The effect is most striking when you just consider the postwar period. Europe had unparalleled wealth like never before in its history and yet it did not create any really impressive monuments/plazas or even buildings as far as I can tell.

Some infrastructure projects (channel tunnel, San Bernhard tunnel, belt bridge, Millaut Viaduct etc.) are grandiose, but they probably all have a business case and thus don't really qualify for this debate.

Caliga

Perhaps looking upon this mighty statue will inspire the people of Senegal to be less poor.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

The statue is done and I think it looks like it has much more of a fascist influence than a Soviet one. It has a distinct superheroic "Aryan" flair to it. Just need to change the facial features and it would like fine in Nazi Germany or Fascist Italy.
Well, it was built by North Korea....
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on April 05, 2010, 03:13:27 AM
The effect is most striking when you just consider the postwar period. Europe had unparalleled wealth like never before in its history and yet it did not create any really impressive monuments/plazas or even buildings as far as I can tell.

Some infrastructure projects (channel tunnel, San Bernhard tunnel, belt bridge, Millaut Viaduct etc.) are grandiose, but they probably all have a business case and thus don't really qualify for this debate.
That hideous Louvre pyramid rather confirms your argument, but also makes us glad it is true.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 05, 2010, 01:17:34 AMFrance was a republic when the Statue of Liberty was built wasn't it?
The Statue of Liberty in Paris is not particularly impressive. It's just 10 meters or so high. The Eiffel Tower would be an exception though as it was built by the Third French Republic.

Yes.

Also, the Statue of Liberty isn't only 10m tall.

"The statue is 151 ft (46 m) tall, but with the pedestal and foundation, it is 305 ft (93 m) tall."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 05, 2010, 06:42:56 AM

Yes.

Also, the Statue of Liberty isn't only 10m tall.

"The statue is 151 ft (46 m) tall, but with the pedestal and foundation, it is 305 ft (93 m) tall."

:lol:

:hmm:

:huh:

I assume you are continuing this as a jest, Tim? After all, I'd hate to think your reading skills are that bad... ;)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Larch

The most hilarious thing to come from it is Waye's idea of claiming 35% of all tourism revenue generated by the statue as "author's rights".  :lol:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.