Girl, 10, refuses to go to bed. Mom calls cops, girl gets tasered.

Started by Syt, November 21, 2009, 04:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

The girl is 65 pounds and 4'6"?? Oh for fuck's sake. Slap the little bitch on the ass a few times, drag her kicking and screaming little butt into her room, and close the door. End of discussion.

Stupid mother....  <_<
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Strix

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Syt

Something I noticed: Report time 7pm. Is it common to send 10 year olds to bed at that time? I think I had 8 or 9 when I was that age. I know my (U.S. based) sister sent her daughter at that age to bed at 7, though (she'd often stay up in her room, watching some tv or playing before finally falling asleep).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Syt on November 21, 2009, 08:00:17 AM
Something I noticed: Report time 7pm. Is it common to send 10 year olds to bed at that time? I think I had 8 or 9 when I was that age. I know my (U.S. based) sister sent her daughter at that age to bed at 7, though (she'd often stay up in her room, watching some tv or playing before finally falling asleep).

I can't remember what my bedtime was at that age, but probably around 9, except maybe on weekends.
Of course, bad children get earlier bedtimes.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Berkut

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 21, 2009, 05:05:21 AM
If a cop is 'having a difficult time placing the cuffs' on a 10 year old he probably needs to find a new job

If a cop decides he needs to place cuffs on a 10 year old because her mom cannot handle her, he needs a new job. So does mom.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Lettow77 on November 21, 2009, 05:03:10 AM
Man, martinus, really quick to legislate the rights to breeding as a homosexual, arent we?

I dont mind your constant homo rights tirade. I even support it to some small extent. But children are a right a man has, ah..

Actually I think a big reason that such isn't done is because it is hard to do without seeming authoritarian like China and it is somewhat unfeasible to try to prevent people from having childre. Clearly if we require licenses for things like driving, we should "ideally"(?) require licenses for taking care of a child.  There are so many ways to fuck up a child that it is sad when child is born to unfit parents.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Strix

Quote from: Berkut on November 21, 2009, 10:36:07 AM
If a cop decides he needs to place cuffs on a 10 year old because her mom cannot handle her, he needs a new job. So does mom.

If a cop HAS cuffs that fit on a 10 year old he needs a new job and a new psych exam.

That being said, Rochester City Police get called all the time to local schools to deal with kids 10 and younger (not to mention 10 and up). The school doesn't want responsibility, so their policy is let the kid do what he wants and call the police. Sounds like mom did something similar. She probably didn't want CPS breathing down her neck, so called the local police.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Martinus

Quote from: Strix on November 21, 2009, 10:39:39 AM

If a cop HAS cuffs that fit on a 10 year old he needs a new job and a new psych exam.

That being said, Rochester City Police get called all the time to local schools to deal with kids 10 and younger (not to mention 10 and up). The school doesn't want responsibility, so their policy is let the kid do what he wants and call the police. Sounds like mom did something similar. She probably didn't want CPS breathing down her neck, so called the local police.

Stuff like this really makes me wonder if banning corporal punishment for kids was such a good idea. Paradoxically, by making it impossible for a teacher to, say, slap an unruly pupil on the wrist, we have led to an escalation of violence against children, only perpetrated by police - which is clearly excessive.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 21, 2009, 10:45:13 AM
Stuff like this really makes me wonder if banning corporal punishment for kids was such a good idea. Paradoxically, by making it impossible for a teacher to, say, slap an unruly pupil on the wrist, we have led to an escalation of violence against children, only perpetrated by police - which is clearly excessive.

:yes:

In high school I felt that the bratty kids in elementary school at the time would have been better off if they got spanked by their parents.  We had a debate in class and most people were in favor. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Same goes for schools, I think.

Back in the day, teachers had a whole continuum of "institutionalized violence" at their disposal, from smacking a kid on the head to slapping them on a wrist etc. that could be used depending on the degree of offense. I don't know - maybe kids were not as bad back then (but I doubt it) but it was unthinkable to have cops called to school on a kid unless they committed some really serious crime.

These days teachers are scared shitless of being sued to they call cops at the slightest provocation. The end result is that kids get more violent responses for lesser offenses than before.

Strix

It's hard to say. There are many factors involved. A major one is lack of discipline and respect at home. Some children lack the discipline to control themselves and are taught/learn at an earlier age that they cannot hit or really punished by teachers and the school system. That combo can create an out of control child.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Strix on November 21, 2009, 10:39:39 AM

The main reason cops get called to schools is, I think, because the schools are terrified of being sued if they so much as lay a finger on a child. That's why they let the cops deal with it.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Strix

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 21, 2009, 11:01:16 AM
The main reason cops get called to schools is, I think, because the schools are terrified of being sued if they so much as lay a finger on a child. That's why they let the cops deal with it.

Of course that's the reason. It might also be the reason Mom called them as well.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2009, 10:48:48 AM

:yes:

In high school I felt that the bratty kids in elementary school at the time would have been better off if they got spanked by their parents.  We had a debate in class and most people were in favor. -_-

Big surprise, the nerd class would be in favor of beating the bullies.   :P