Girl, 10, refuses to go to bed. Mom calls cops, girl gets tasered.

Started by Syt, November 21, 2009, 04:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 21, 2009, 11:09:36 AM
Big surprise, the nerd class would be in favor of beating the bullies.   :P

Actually I think it was intro to sociology. We had a wide spectrum of students in the class.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 21, 2009, 10:51:32 AM
Same goes for schools, I think.

Back in the day, teachers had a whole continuum of "institutionalized violence" at their disposal, from smacking a kid on the head to slapping them on a wrist etc. that could be used depending on the degree of offense. I don't know - maybe kids were not as bad back then (but I doubt it) but it was unthinkable to have cops called to school on a kid unless they committed some really serious crime.

These days teachers are scared shitless of being sued to they call cops at the slightest provocation. The end result is that kids get more violent responses for lesser offenses than before.

I don't know about this. I don't know if I trust teachers.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2009, 11:26:25 AM

Back in the day, teachers had a whole continuum of "institutionalized violence" at their disposal, from smacking a kid on the head to slapping them on a wrist etc. that could be used depending on the degree of offense. I don't know - maybe kids were not as bad back then (but I doubt it) but it was unthinkable to have cops called to school on a kid unless they committed some really serious crime.

These days teachers are scared shitless of being sued to they call cops at the slightest provocation. The end result is that kids get more violent responses for lesser offenses than before.

:yeahright:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Quote from: Jaron on November 21, 2009, 12:15:21 PM

:yeahright:

Case in point.  :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

grumbler

I know that I would not trust teachers in general with the power to physically assault a child, and I am sure that I would not want that power myself.  I would then be expected to use it.

I suppose a system could be established where a given person or group of people in a school could inflict some kind of corporal punishment, and they could be screened and trained for the job.  That would be preferable to calling in the cops to handle children who do not respond to non-physical calls for restraint.

I think a preferable system would be to have a school in each district or region where the perennial troublemakers could be assigned, and assign also to that school a faculty and administration that was trained in getting through to these kinds of troublemakers.  Either that, or send them to a private "military" school.  Those places work a lot better than one might think.

Edit:  and as for the OP, agree that the cops should have declined to get involved.  Child Protective Services can deal with cases like this.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

maybe the woman felt awkward disciplining her child in front of police. The way things are nowadays, you have to be cautious even giving your child a gentle smack in public. Especially around Europeans. :P

DGuller

In Ukraine, the attitude toward corporal punishment by teachers was way more relaxed.  I don't know if it was technically legal, but it has been practiced.

I remember two cases.  One time in the Ukrainian class, my rookie teacher thought I lied about doing homework, so she slapped my across my face with my thick notebook in some inexplicable fit of rage.  In the second case, in the English class, some asshole kept interrupting the class and pissing off the teacher.  Finally the male teacher asked the troublemaker to accompany him to the bathroom.  A couple of minutes later, after doing whatever it was that they were doing, the troublemaker came back almost in tears, slightly worse for wear, and not in a mood to disrupt the class anymore.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jaron

DGuller

Quote from: Jaron on November 21, 2009, 01:40:13 PM
Someone got roughed up in the ass. :P
I don't think so.  In Ukraine, people would look the other way if you hit someone, but gay sex was a HUGE no-no, especially between a teacher and a student.

dps

I don't, but I trust the students less.  And disrupting class and similar activities are like the girl in the OP refusing to go to bed--they shouldn't be matters for the police.

Martinus

I know I'm likely in a minority here but I don't think the premise of the system should be that a teacher can do less, in terms of corporal punishment, to a child than a parent. The difference should be rather in the scope of offenses each can punish a child for - but I don't have a problem with a teacher being able to do to a child that is disrupting the class the same kind of thing a parent can do to a child refusing to go to bed, for example.

Now, in general, I don't believe this should be *much* - I'm talking a slap on the wrist rather than a thorough trashing here - just talking about relative authority here.

Martinus

If you don't trust teachers, then why do you trust parents? At least teachers are trained for the job.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on November 21, 2009, 01:38:40 PM
In Ukraine, the attitude toward corporal punishment by teachers was way more relaxed.  I don't know if it was technically legal, but it has been practiced.

I remember two cases.  One time in the Ukrainian class, my rookie teacher thought I lied about doing homework, so she slapped my across my face with my thick notebook in some inexplicable fit of rage.  In the second case, in the English class, some asshole kept interrupting the class and pissing off the teacher.  Finally the male teacher asked the troublemaker to accompany him to the bathroom.  A couple of minutes later, after doing whatever it was that they were doing, the troublemaker came back almost in tears, slightly worse for wear, and not in a mood to disrupt the class anymore.

Yeah, in Poland during my youth it could have been similar (probably still a bit less drastic but similar). Now, while I find this objectionable, in principle, it does seem to be the lesser evil if you compare it to the modern situation in the West, does it not?