And we're back!

Main Menu

White House tells GM boss to step down

Started by jimmy olsen, March 29, 2009, 05:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Zanza2 on June 01, 2009, 03:08:50 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 01, 2009, 02:56:48 PM
"Since I was a kid, Chevy has represented the highest level of performance," said Hendrick,
:yeahright:

Southerners don't give a shit about German cars. It is Ford or Chevy or nothing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2009, 02:59:58 PM

I wish that were a discussion that politicians were having, but the answer isn't necessarily a foregone conclusion.

GM and Chrysler appear to be in such rough shape that without government support both would appear to be liquidated, not retsructured in bankruptcy.  The government would be on the hook for billions for honouring pensions for retired workers, since there is no ongoing business to support those workers.  The already decimated economy of Michigan (and Windsor, Ontario) would be finished off, leading to increased expenses for all manner of social services, plus the loss of tax income.  And are there national security concerns in losing your domestic automobile manufacturing capability (except for Ford)?

I'm not sure - with all that, is $70 billion worth it?

Oh, in coming to your $70 billion figure, does that include the money that Canada and Ontario are putting on the table?

$70 billion is US only, and excludes Chrysler. But it includes all the debtor in possession financing, which hasn't been spent yet.

I checked and the US pension plan underfunded status is $13.6 billion, with another $11.9 billion outside the US. The other US benefits are underfunded $30.0 billion, with another $2.9 billion worldwide. How much these would be put on the taxpayer, I don't know--it would certainly be less than 100%. I don't know the rules, but we could be talking as little as $10 billion if medical benefits aren't guaranteed.

Even if it is 100% on the backs of the taxpayer (and I know it isn't that high), that is still only $43.6 billion in the US, leaving $26.4 billion left over. With 243k employees worldwide, that is still over $100k per employee (and obviously we wouldn't pick up the tab of foreign countries).

I don't think there are any national security concerns--if a major war comes, we will use Toyota, Honda, and Mercedes plants the same as GM ones.

While you are talking about a lot of burdens in Michigan and the midwest, we are talking about so much money at this point I don't see how the cost/benefit works to the advantage of the course we are taking.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on June 01, 2009, 02:43:20 PM
So when you stop to think about $70 billion (plus more to Chrysler)--is this really still a defensible policy?

Depends on how much the government gets back.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 01, 2009, 03:14:00 PM
Southerners don't give a shit about German cars. It is Ford or Chevy or nothing.
:lmfao: Rick Hendrik owns dozens of dealerships, selling all kinds of makes.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 01, 2009, 03:14:00 PM

Actually, they do, because the Germans have plenty of car factories in the South. Mercedes-Benz has plants in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham (AL), BMW has a huge complex near Spartanburg (SC) and a car museum (called the 'Zentrum'), Volkswagen is heavily committed in Tennessee.

And the same for the Japanese: Honda has a factory in Lincoln (AL), Toyota in Huntsville (AL), Georgetown (KY) and San Antonio (TX).

These plants represent thosands of southern jobs.

Why do you think that Dixie congresspeople opposed a bailout of Detroit? Freebies to northern US car manufacturers=threat to southern jobs in German/Japanese factories.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 01, 2009, 03:26:02 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 01, 2009, 02:43:20 PM
So when you stop to think about $70 billion (plus more to Chrysler)--is this really still a defensible policy?

Depends on how much the government gets back.

Good point--I'm assuming they get back nothing. I won't be suprised if they actually put more in.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Do you guys remember a few months ago when CC suggested JR take over the car czar spot, and JR said no way he is qualified, you need someone with auto industry experience, credibility with unions, etc.

Well, this seems to be the guys we got:

The 31-Year-Old in Charge of Dismantling G.M.
by David E. Sanger
Monday, June 1, 2009
provided by
The New York Times

It is not every 31-year-old who, in a first government job, finds himself dismantling General Motors and rewriting the rules of American capitalism.

But that, in short, is the job description for Brian Deese, a not-quite graduate of Yale Law School who had never set foot in an automotive assembly plant until he took on his nearly unseen role in remaking the American automotive industry.

Nor, for that matter, had he given much thought to what ailed an industry that had been in decline ever since he was born. A bit laconic and looking every bit the just-out-of-graduate-school student adjusting to life in the West Wing — "he's got this beard that appears and disappears," says Steven Rattner, one of the leaders of President Obama's automotive task force — Mr. Deese was thrown into the auto industry's maelstrom as soon the election-night parties ended.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/107136/The-31-Year-Old-in-Charge-of-Dismantling-G.M.?mod=family-autos

I'd post his picture if I knew how. I'd know I'd feel better with JR there.

Oexmelin

QuoteA bit laconic and looking every bit the just-out-of-graduate-school student

Indeed.  :)
Que le grand cric me croque !

alfred russel

Ed Anger

Oh yes, for those concerned about my "nutty" GM stock purchase, will be pleased to know I sold them at a buck (or a buck and penny,I'd have to look), earning me ~12 cents profit on each share.

Better return than giving it to Tim.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

lustindarkness

Quote from: alfred russel on June 01, 2009, 04:33:14 PMI'd know I'd feel better with JR there.

Me too, can you imagine languish mentioned in a congress hearing?!
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 01, 2009, 04:50:02 PM
Oh yes, for those concerned about my "nutty" GM stock purchase, will be pleased to know I sold them at a buck (or a buck and penny,I'd have to look), earning me ~12 cents profit on each share.

Better return than giving it to Tim.

I don't know.  He'll make the same profit in about three years.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Hansmeister

Quote from: alfred russel on June 01, 2009, 04:33:14 PM
Do you guys remember a few months ago when CC suggested JR take over the car czar spot, and JR said no way he is qualified, you need someone with auto industry experience, credibility with unions, etc.

Well, this seems to be the guys we got:

The 31-Year-Old in Charge of Dismantling G.M.
by David E. Sanger
Monday, June 1, 2009
provided by
The New York Times

It is not every 31-year-old who, in a first government job, finds himself dismantling General Motors and rewriting the rules of American capitalism.

But that, in short, is the job description for Brian Deese, a not-quite graduate of Yale Law School who had never set foot in an automotive assembly plant until he took on his nearly unseen role in remaking the American automotive industry.

Nor, for that matter, had he given much thought to what ailed an industry that had been in decline ever since he was born. A bit laconic and looking every bit the just-out-of-graduate-school student adjusting to life in the West Wing — "he's got this beard that appears and disappears," says Steven Rattner, one of the leaders of President Obama's automotive task force — Mr. Deese was thrown into the auto industry's maelstrom as soon the election-night parties ended.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/107136/The-31-Year-Old-in-Charge-of-Dismantling-G.M.?mod=family-autos

I'd post his picture if I knew how. I'd know I'd feel better with JR there.

You're doing a heckuva job, Brownie.

Grey Fox

Less baby boomers in power position the better it is.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.