News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

White House tells GM boss to step down

Started by jimmy olsen, March 29, 2009, 05:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2009, 08:23:20 AM
Industries that have very high fixed costs, sell commodities, and must determine capacity years in advance are tough places to make money. The nature of business is optimism, and the result is excess supply without significant variable costs to reduce.
Agreed.  Commodity producers with high fixed costs are really challenging the free market assumption.  I'm fairly convinced that for those markets, competition can actually become destructive rather than constructive, like we are taught to assume in Econ 101.  It's not like it's easy to lay low during the good times either, because then you'll have the same fixed costs, and all your clients with reckless competitors.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on May 29, 2009, 10:26:49 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2009, 08:23:20 AM
Industries that have very high fixed costs, sell commodities, and must determine capacity years in advance are tough places to make money. The nature of business is optimism, and the result is excess supply without significant variable costs to reduce.
Agreed.  Commodity producers with high fixed costs are really challenging the free market assumption.  I'm fairly convinced that for those markets, competition can actually be destructive rather than constructive, like we are taught to assume in Econ 101.  It's not like it's easy to lay low during the good times either, because then you'll have the same fixed costs, and all your clients with reckless competitors.

Econ 101 would say that investors would recognize this and make capital more scarce for these industries, imposing a prevention of overcapacity. But for some reason, people keep investing in airlines...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2009, 10:29:36 AM
Econ 101 would say that investors would recognize this and make capital more scarce for these industries, imposing a prevention of overcapacity. But for some reason, people keep investing in airlines...

Probably because the government is likely to step in and help them recover losses.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

I just bought a 1000 shares of GM @ .88. Goes down, no big loss. Company saved, potential profit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 29, 2009, 10:49:25 AM
I just bought a 1000 shares of GM @ .88. Goes down, no big loss. Company saved, potential profit.

Should've spent the money on lottery tickets.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on May 29, 2009, 10:54:51 AM

Should've spent the money on lottery tickets.

When the jackpot hits 200 million, I will.

DGuller

Company saved <> common shareholders saved.

crazy canuck

Lol Ed, the bankruptcy is going forward on either Sunday or Monday.

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on May 29, 2009, 11:02:25 AM

It is petty cash to me, so we'll see if my crazy investor-fu pays off.  :)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on May 29, 2009, 10:26:49 AM
Agreed.  Commodity producers with high fixed costs are really challenging the free market assumption.  I'm fairly convinced that for those markets, competition can actually become destructive rather than constructive, like we are taught to assume in Econ 101.  It's not like it's easy to lay low during the good times either, because then you'll have the same fixed costs, and all your clients with reckless competitors.
Oil companies have high fixed costs and produce a commodity, yet we don't see periodic collapses of oil companies.

And most airlines lease their planes these days I believe.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 29, 2009, 11:47:35 AM
Oil companies have high fixed costs and produce a commodity, yet we don't see periodic collapses of oil companies.

The fluctuation isn't quite so major for oil producers. Oil has a shelf life, so they don't have to write off unsold product immediately, unlike with sales of dated materials such as dated car models or seating tickets. Also, it's much easier to project and account for maintenance during the life cycle of leased equipment owned by oil producers than it is to project and account for the cost of leasing entire fleets of airliners- I think you'll find a closer comparison in petroleum transporters than in the oil producers.
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 29, 2009, 11:04:46 AM

I suggest investing your next $800 in Tim. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 29, 2009, 12:09:36 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 29, 2009, 11:04:46 AM

I suggest investing your next $800 in Tim. :)

Even at this point, GM is probably a better investment.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 29, 2009, 11:47:35 AM

A leased plane isn't necessarily all that different from a purchased plan financed with debt.

Oil companies are a great comparison and you have a good point. My explanation would be that in the past the oil industry was notorious for boom and bust cycles, but the current limitations on supply prevent too much production.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2009, 12:44:31 PM
Oil companies are a great comparison and you have a good point. My explanation would be that in the past the oil industry was notorious for boom and bust cycles, but the current limitations on supply prevent too much production.

But another explanation is that the better oil companies have very good management.

There is a similar dynamic in the steel industry (which also has issues of state support) - but the better managed companies seem to survive and even increase share.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson