News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

White House tells GM boss to step down

Started by jimmy olsen, March 29, 2009, 05:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

:huh: I'm surprised. Didn't think they'd actually force out CEOs like that.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29946290/

QuoteNBC: White House told GM boss to step down
Comes on eve of Obama making major announcement about automakers

BREAKING NEWS
msnbc.com news services
updated 18 minutes ago

DETROIT - A senior Obama administration official has told NBC's John Yang that General Motors CEO Rick Wagoner was asked to step down by the administration.

The Associated Press reported that Wagoner will leave the struggling Detroit automaker immediately. The person asked not to be identified because Wagoner's plans have not been formally announced.

The move comes on the eve of President Obama unveiling his plan to reinvigorate the U.S. auto industry. Obama and other administration officials have said they would demand deeper restructuring from General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC before they would get any more government loans.

Both GM and Chrysler are living on a total of $17.4 billion in federal aid.

Associated Press contributed to this report.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 29, 2009, 05:08:50 PM
:huh: I'm surprised. Didn't think they'd actually force CEOs like that.

Obviously they wouldn't if they were not funding his corporation.

Anyway I have nothing to say on that matter until I see Obama's plan.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2009, 05:17:10 PM
That's a hefty assumption, that Obama actually has a plan, rather than just witchhunting.

When it's all over, you'll all wish that Bush could have served a third term.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on March 29, 2009, 05:56:11 PM

Considering how much Obama is on TV, I already do. I'll take Bush's neglect of the last year of his 2nd term over Obama the attention whore.

I better not miss an episode of NCIS because of that fucker. I need my Cote de Pablo fix every week.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

That's a hefty assumption, that Obama actually has a plan, rather than just witchhunting.

apropos your avatar, they will come to appreciate the glory that was Nixon one day  :cool:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 29, 2009, 06:01:12 PMConsidering how much Obama is on TV, I already do. I'll take Bush's neglect of the last year of his 2nd term over Obama the attention whore.

I love my rock star President.  :blush:
Unlike Clinton, he doesn't even try to be the center of attention.  ZOMG BARACK ATTACK...*THUMP*

Neil

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 29, 2009, 06:03:26 PM

Once the hippies are mostly dead.
apropos your avatar, they will come to appreciate the glory that was Nixon one day  :cool:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

KRonn

I guess this isn't too surprising, but GM's problems are systemic, and maybe not this guy's fault? Except if he's not putting through enough change and restructuring while the corp is in serious financial problems, and getting govt bailouts.

Scipio

If I'm Rick Wagoner, I have to say that I feel really conflicted.  ON the one hand, when GM goes down the tubes four months from now, you were already gone.  On the other hand, you're missing the opportunity to get sweet gov't cash.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Faeelin

Is it just me, or is there a strange divide in the tone between the way Obama handles the auto companies and the financial companies?

PDH

Quote from: Faeelin on March 30, 2009, 09:29:05 AM
Is it just me, or is there a strange divide in the tone between the way Obama handles the auto companies and the financial companies?
He really got screwed over way back when he got talked into buying an AMC Pacer.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Quote from: Faeelin on March 30, 2009, 09:29:05 AM
No, not just you at all.  I do find it disgusting that industries that actually make something and require relatively small bailouts are drug through the mud, while those who laid waste to the economy while in no danger of creating any tangible wealth get hundreds of billions quietly.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2009, 05:47:20 PM

:lol:

Meh it is still early in his Presidency I am still trying to be fair :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."