News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Desperate to travel...

Started by Capetan Mihali, November 16, 2009, 10:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Too old for gral as his testicles have descended.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Not to drag out this thread, but I'm looking at the week of Dec. 14 - 20 for my voyage to Quebec.  Is Quebec City worth the excursion?  I'd like to make a little side-trip at least to some non-metropolitan part of La Belle Province just to see what it's like.  Shawinigan?  Sherbrooke?

The other big decision is youth hostel vs. seedy hotel.  Youth hostels are going for 25-30 a night.   Pros are maybe some friendly conversation with other travellers; cons are sleeping in a public setting.  Seedy hotels going for 40ish on Rue Ste. Catherine.  Pros are privacy, ambiance; cons are loneliness, ambiance. 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Barrister

Youth hostel.  Meet up with other people, have fun.

Seedy hotel just means being woken by crack addicts at 3am in the next room.

Yes to Quebec city.  No to Sherbrooke or Shawinigan.  Not on the timeframe you're looking at (1 week).  But of course I've only ever been to Hull and a baseball game in Montreal.  I'm only going by what others have told me.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

I'm always surprised how easily disappointed I am by a cheap and seedy hotel.  All too often they are just cheap and seedy. 

Sometimes though you find ones with little communities living there.  In Casablanca in a seedy hotel and spent every night sat around the sofas talking to my other guests who were all relatively long-term.  A Dutch Moroccan who, for example, who came to Morocco for a month of every year to receive folk treatments for his weak chest (it looked to me like folk surgery) or the recently divorced mother who lived in a suite with a daughter because she didn't want to return to her parents in the country and hadn't the money to find a place of her own.

Other times they're actually just hidden gems.  I found one in the some tropical bit of Argentina (I forget the town) which was basically a dilapidated nineteenth century villa.  Each room was huge (bigger than most living rooms), as were the beds.  The shutters and the fans hadn't been updated in years but that just added to the charm and everything was clean.  While I was there I met a Swiss man who has been slowly travelling the world for ten years (he spends several months in every city).  He always wore a cream three piece suit with hat and looked like a mix between Blofeld and the man from Del Monte.  Apparently he'd discovered a system that let him beat the house at roulette - a system which he was always refining by changing notes and adding different figures.  He was a bit suspicious, though.  He would never let anyone prepare his drinks.  He had to boil his own water and would then carry around a large flask of self-prepared tea through the day which he'd top up as necessary.

Sometimes seedy is romantic, or enjoyable, or a step into a different world - and it's great.  All too often, however, it is just unpleasant :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Incidentally I love trains.  Best transport method :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 23, 2009, 10:51:56 PM
Not to drag out this thread, but I'm looking at the week of Dec. 14 - 20 for my voyage to Quebec.  Is Quebec City worth the excursion?  I'd like to make a little side-trip at least to some non-metropolitan part of La Belle Province just to see what it's like.  Shawinigan?  Sherbrooke?

The other big decision is youth hostel vs. seedy hotel.  Youth hostels are going for 25-30 a night.   Pros are maybe some friendly conversation with other travellers; cons are sleeping in a public setting.  Seedy hotels going for 40ish on Rue Ste. Catherine.  Pros are privacy, ambiance; cons are loneliness, ambiance.

Quebec will feel small enough no need to go Sherbrooke or Shawi.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grallon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 23, 2009, 10:51:56 PM

I do hope you will make time for us to drink some wine together.  Perhaps GF would also condescend to leave his distant suburb.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Caliga

Capetan Mihali does not drink... wine.  :menace:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grallon

Quote from: Caliga on November 24, 2009, 08:38:31 AM

So you two have met?  Well whatever he fancies he can have. ;)

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grey Fox

Ice cider is pretty good.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Grallon on November 24, 2009, 08:48:33 AM
You fail at literature. :(

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Grallon on November 24, 2009, 08:48:33 AM

G.

:lol:  No we unfortunately haven't, and wine is infinitely pleasing to me.  Though that ice cider sounds intriguing as well...

We'll just have to find a time that works for you and potentially Grey Fox (Oexmelin is still in Europe, I believe, and Viper is far away?).  I'll PM you both my contact information closer to the trip.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Hope they don't go all Dreyfus on you.

Caliga