News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Desperate to travel...

Started by Capetan Mihali, November 16, 2009, 10:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stjaba

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 16, 2009, 06:06:35 PM

No.  And, also I am deathly afraid to fly.   :rolleyes:  In retrospect, making this thread was pretty pointless and I apologize.  Thanks everyone for the advice, though.

How do you get to down Tampa, then?

garbon

And, also I am deathly afraid to fly.   :rolleyes:

Hopefully you are rolling your eyes at yourself.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on November 16, 2009, 06:09:55 PM
And, also I am deathly afraid to fly.   :rolleyes:

Hopefully you are rolling your eyes at yourself.

Who else would I be rolling them at?   :huh:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

I don't know. It was weird that you were rolling them at all.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: stjaba on November 16, 2009, 06:09:09 PM

No.  And, also I am deathly afraid to fly.   :rolleyes:  In retrospect, making this thread was pretty pointless and I apologize.  Thanks everyone for the advice, though.

How do you get to down Tampa, then?

Xanax, Valium, Xanax, gin.  I've got to visit my grandfather every few years so I close my eyes and think of England.   :pope:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on November 16, 2009, 06:12:56 PM

I was trying to represent my feeling of realizing that a thread saying "I have no money, companions, idea what I am doing, or way of going anywhere: tell me where to go!" is kind of dumb.   :blush:

Jacob

If you don't want to fly, hop on the Greyhound to Montreal or Quebec city.  In March/ Feb it'll be cold and grey, but it'll still be something semi-exotic (Quebec more so).  The Greyhound trip itself will be an interesting experience as well.

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 16, 2009, 06:14:55 PM
I was trying to represent my feeling of realizing that a thread saying "I have no money, companions, idea what I am doing, or way of going anywhere: tell me where to go!" is kind of dumb.   :blush:

Quite fair.

Barrister

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 16, 2009, 06:14:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 16, 2009, 06:12:56 PM

I was trying to represent my feeling of realizing that a thread saying "I have no money, companions, idea what I am doing, or way of going anywhere: tell me where to go!" is kind of dumb.   :blush:

I didn't think it was dumb. :console:

I still think you have quite a few options for a week's vacation on $500 if you're willing to be very very frugal.

Being afraid of flying is dumb though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Rent a car, drive down to Charleston, get a fleebag motel outside of town, or a hostel.  500 clams should do you for 3 or 4 nights.

HisMajestyBOB

Hike the Inca Trail in Peru. You have to go with a tour group, so you'll be meeting a bunch of Europeans/Commonwealth people. Peru isn't that expensive if you don't go to high-class tourist hotels, and IIRC the tour fee was about $300-400, and includes everything. Hunt around for deals on airfare.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Monoriu

Go to the largest bus terminal in your city.  Get on a random bus, and see where it takes you. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on November 16, 2009, 09:29:04 PM
Go to the largest bus terminal in your city.  Get on a random bus, and see where it takes you.
Then you get 100% chance of a shit bus ride and 99% chance of a shit destination.

sbr

How many America cities have more that one bus depot?  :huh:

Grallon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 16, 2009, 10:56:47 AM

But ultimately I would like to go somewhere semi-"exotic."  Mexico and Quebec (and Anglophone Canada  as well :bowler:) are calling to me but I don't really know where to begin.

Any thoughts or experiences concerning solo budget travel?

I've been telling you to come visit for ages.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel