News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Desperate to travel...

Started by Capetan Mihali, November 16, 2009, 10:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

I'd say it is better to save some more money and then go somewhere really interesting than to spend a still considerable amount on going somewhere mediocre

Berkut

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought it was going to be a discussion of girls basketball.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Take the Train Westward! Being in the train is an experience all by itself.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 19, 2009, 09:19:58 AM
Being in the train is an experience all by itself.

Well, these days it has become at sort of semi-exotic means of travel, at least in the U.S., so not really a bad suggestion.

Caliga

I took the train from Philly to Atlanta once when I was a kid (because my mother is terrified of flying).  It was actually pretty fun, yeah.  We had a sleeping compartment and a valet guy.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

In Hong Kong (and China), the majority of people travel in groups.  The major advantage is that it is much cheaper.  US$500 can allow one to, say, go to Japan for 4-5 days.  The price includes return air tickets, hotel accommodations (we're talking about major chains, not bed and breakfasts), 3 meals a day, coach travel in Japan, coach driver, and basic entrance fees to most attractions. 

The drawbacks are -

- you have to stay with that group, mostly
- they skimp on everything.  The food is crap.  And they always feed you Chinese food no matter where in the world you are.
- they make you pay a lot of things extra.  Tips for the guide and driver.  (The travel company does not pay the guides.  In fact it is the other way round - the guides bid for the privilege to serve a group).  They make you buy souvenirs and photos, otherwise they will be very, very mean to you.

Slargos

The walkabout is best done solo anyway.

Permanent travel companions only distract you from immersing yourself in the Journey.

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on November 20, 2009, 12:50:46 PM

Permanent travel companions only distract you from immersing yourself in the Journey.

Or immersing yourself within the local hooker population.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on November 20, 2009, 12:52:22 PM
Quote from: Slargos on November 20, 2009, 12:50:46 PM

Or immersing yourself within the local hooker population.  ;)

I thought that's what I said.  :huh:

Oh, wait. I see now where I might be misinterpreted.

Thanks.  :D

DisturbedPervert

Traveling in tour groups is much more expensive than going alone.  The major advantage is that they'll hold your hand. 

Cut down on the alcohol budget and save up enough to go Eurorailing for a couple weeks.  That's pretty easy to do alone even if you've never something like it before.

Richard Hakluyt

I recommend saving another few hundred dollars, flying to Europe, and then sponging floors/sofas off your fellow Languishites; you'll have a laugh and a good time (apart from the mortal terror on the plane of course)  :huh:

Capetan Mihali

Thanks very much for all the suggestions.   :)   I guess I'll just keep saving my pennies and make a decision when I feel completely stir-crazy.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Pat

Living costs are, however, quite expensive in Europe. You'd get more bang for your buck buying a plane ticket to, f.ex., the Philippines which is a tropical paradise where you can live for peanuts once you're there. The Philippines is also one of relatively few places where they generally like Americans. And once you've crossed the Pacific, if you feel like it, there are planes between Philippines and Kuala Lumpur for less than $100. KL is a cool city, they've even got a monorail. And from KL it's a short and cheap western-standard bus-ride to the historically interesting city of Malacca, for example.

You'll get by just fine with English in both the Philippines and Malaysia. And if you'd like to do further travel KL is a regional flight hub. Flights within ASEAN are cheap. From KL 50-100$ will get you to most, if not all, ASEAN countries.

Capetan Mihali

So I'm looking at Amtrak... only 60 dollars to get to Montreal in the comfort of a railroad car, and Via Rail to Quebec City from there isn't too much at all.   I'm hoping winter is a good time for hostel rates in Qc., apart from the Carnaval period.

I'd be honored to raise a boisson with any of our resident Quebecois, maybe closer to mid-December now?   :frog: 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

katmai

Poor mihali, once grallon gets his claws on him :(
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son