Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 11, 2009, 12:58:14 PM
Oggie Oglethorpe?

That's what came to my mind as well  :lol: Great movie

Oh, and yeah, America's religiosity isn't very exceptional, I'm told

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on November 11, 2009, 12:47:30 PM
Hey AR, could you please let me know where you live so I can dig up articles that cast your area in a negative light and heckle you with them? :)
You all could have a field day with Massachusetts! 

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Larch on November 12, 2009, 05:08:35 AM
I wonder how quoting scripture feels like while showing midriff.

High school cheerleaders don't show midriff, usually.
Experience bij!

The Larch

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 12, 2009, 10:15:09 AM

That's a pity. Or not, I guess. So which ones do, then?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Larch on November 12, 2009, 10:18:47 AM

Pros and some colleges.  High school cheerleaders' uniforms are typically fairly conservative- the raciest our cheerleading squad got was a sleeveless version of the sorta-sweaterish long-sleeved top they usually wore.

Also, in all but the best weather, at least a couple of the girls in our cheerleading squads were guaranteed to be avoiding bloomers shots by wearing sweatpants under the skirts.
Experience bij!

Martinus

I never quite understood the concept of praying (or otherwise invoking the divine) for victory when done by both sides in a competitive sport event when both sides follow the same god. If one side wins, does it mean the other side was not praying hard enough or is simply abominable to god?

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on November 12, 2009, 10:18:47 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 12, 2009, 10:15:09 AM

Pro team cheerleaders.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2009, 10:24:25 AM
I never quite understood the concept of praying (or otherwise invoking the divine) for victory when done by both sides in a competitive sport event when both sides follow the same god. If one side wins, does it mean the other side was not praying hard enough or is simply abominable to god?

The point is not to pray for victory, but to pray for strength to put on your best game.  That way, when you lose the game, you can say that it's just because God hates you. :P
Experience bij!

PDH

I would like to thank God for helping me with this post, and I would like to just say that Jesus is awesome.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

It isn't just about winning:

Quote from: the article"It's done good because it brought a lot of glory to God," the 17-year-old senior said.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

frunk

QuoteI have a special friend. . . He's the Baby Jesus and I love him and. . .he don't give me no shit... and he don't fuck around and he's just the fucking coolest guy and I wanna say I love the Baby Jesus.

I can't say it enough. I love the Baby Jesus and I think. . .he's the best... thing and he's really great when he shares his love because he's got enough love for everybody. You know what I mean? I can't even see a manger without thinkin' about him, eh?

I just love the Jesus. I've only been into him for a couple of hours though, but I'm *really* into him.

The Larch

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Do you really fail to understand why a religious person might want to pray to their God?

It is one thing to disagree with their reasons but to admit that you dont actually understand why they do it.  Now that is truly astounding.

Alexandru H.