Cheerleaders forced to Cheer for Team rather than Jesus

Started by alfred russel, November 11, 2009, 12:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DisturbedPervert

Yeah, I'm sure these teenage cheerleaders were just about to strap home made explosives on to themselves and and start decapitating the infidels.

Malthus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 11, 2009, 01:13:31 PM
Yeah, I'm sure these teenage cheerleaders were just about to strap home made explosives on to themselves and and start decapitating the infidels.

I'd cheer to see that. From a safe distance of course.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Closer then you can believe.

But College will fix that, with the booze & lesbian sex party they'll be having.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on November 11, 2009, 12:56:46 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 11, 2009, 12:47:30 PM
Hey AR, could you please let me know where you live so I can dig up articles that cast your area in a negative light and heckle you with them? :)

I live in ROTW, so knock yourself out.

No you don't.  You don't even live in a real country.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on November 11, 2009, 12:55:32 PM
They are doing the right thing while kicking and screaming under the threat of a lawsuit

Actually, my reading is that no-one in the community had threatened a lawsuit, or even complained about what they were doing.  The article mentioned that the school district was afraid that someone might bring a suit, but that doesn't imply that anyone had done so.  In other words, while you might cheer this as a victory for separation of church and state, it seems to be a product of exactly the same kind of mentality on the part of school boards that leads to zero-tolerance policies that cause a kid with a cold to get expelled for bringing an aspirin to school.  In short, school boards and school administrators may not be crazy, but a lot of them are spineless fools.

Berkut

So having your lawyer tell you "Yeah, the religious messages on banners is in fact probably grounds for a suit, you should stop that" and then doing so is "exactly" the same as expelling kids for bringing aspirin to school.

Really?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Berkut on November 11, 2009, 01:48:00 PM
So having your lawyer tell you "Yeah, the religious messages on banners is in fact probably grounds for a suit, you should stop that" and then doing so is "exactly" the same as expelling kids for bringing aspirin to school.

Really?

Well in both cases the school is being moronic, so kinda. :p (but not really)
:p

dps

Really?

No, but it's the product of the same kind of mentality, because for school administrations, the question in both matters isn't, "What is the right thing to do?" but rather, "What will best shield us from possible legal repercussions?".  And while that should be taken into condsideration (after all, we the taxpayers would be the ones ultimately paying any judgement rendered against the school administratin), it shouldn't be the first and formost worry, as it all too often is.

Berkut

Quote from: dps on November 11, 2009, 01:54:22 PM

Really?

No, but it's the product of the same kind of mentality, because for school administrations, the question in both matters isn't, "What is the right thing to do?" but rather, "What will best shield us from possible legal repercussions?".  And while that should be taken into condsideration (after all, we the taxpayers would be the ones ultimately paying any judgement rendered against the school administratin), it shouldn't be the first and formost worry, as it all too often is.

I look at it more like "Well, if they can sue us because what we are doing is freaking illegal, we should really stop doing it."

Seems rather simple to me.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: Berkut on November 11, 2009, 01:55:57 PM
Quote from: dps on November 11, 2009, 01:54:22 PM

Really?

I look at it more like "Well, if they can sue us because what we are doing is freaking illegal, we should really stop doing it."

Seems rather simple to me.

My point is, if something is illegel, they should stop because it's illegal.  But they don't care about that;  they stop because might get sued.  In other words, their motivation and decision making process is all fucked up;  sometimes that leads to adopting correct policies for bad reasons, other times it just leads to stupid policies.

Neil

America isn't even a real country anymore.  It's just a retarded joke.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on November 11, 2009, 01:59:27 PM
My point is, if something is illegel, they should stop because it's illegal.  But they don't care about that;  they stop because might get sued.  In other words, their motivation and decision making process is all fucked up;  sometimes that leads to adopting correct policies for bad reasons, other times it just leads to stupid policies.
Kinda curious how you know that this school system doesn't care about engaging in illegal activities.  Is Denia Reese a friend of yours?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Would somebody seriously sue just because of religious stuff at a football game?  :unsure:

Some people really need to lighten up.  If I was seeing my team play a team that led off every game by praying to Mecca that would merely make watching them lose that much more fun.

'Where's your prophet now number 83?'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Berkut on November 11, 2009, 12:42:04 PM
They aren't crazy because at the end of the day they are doing the right thing.

Pesonal religious expression in the stands? Knock yourself out.

Except it sounds like it's the cheerleaders on the field who were coming out with bible banners.  Knock yourself out in the stands, but the players, cheerleaders, and marching band members are representatives of the school.
Experience bij!