News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lesbian ruins prom for everybody

Started by Ed Anger, November 11, 2009, 10:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

http://www.examiner.com/x-17183-Birmingham-Gay-Community-Examiner~y2009m11d10-Alabama-high-school-threatens-to-cancel-prom-if-lesbian-attends

QuoteSchool officials have  told 17 year old Cynthia Stewart that she could not attend her prom, prompting action by the ACLU.  Now the principle says he will cancel the event for everyone if she is allowed to attend with her girlfriend.

When Cynthia approached her principal to ask if she could bring her girlfriend with her to the prom, he said no. He also made Cynthia remove a sticker she was wearing that said, "I am a lesbian," telling her, "You don't have that much freedom of speech at school."

Cynthia is on the prom committee, created the theme for the event, and personally raised over $200 to use for the March 25, 2010 event.

ADVERTISEMENT: Used strap-on for sale. gently used

Cynthia's aunt and guardian appealed to the school board but they let the decision stand.

The ACLU has demanded that Cynthia be allowed to attend the prom with her girlfriend and to stop interfering with her first amendment rights.

Cynthia attends Tharptown High School in Russellville, AL, part of the Franklin County School system.

Here is the demand letter sent by the ACLU of Alabama.

"It's just sad to see this school twisting itself in so many different directions to avoid its constitutional obligations to one student," said attorney Henry F. Sherrod III. "Cynthia doesn't just deserve to be able to take her girlfriend with her to the prom like any other student - she has a federally-protected right to do so."

ADVERTISEMENT: Hustler has double ended dildos in stock!

"Federal law makes it absolutely clear that Franklin County School System doesn't have any right to discriminate against lesbian, gay, and bisexual students who want to bring same-sex dates to school dances," said Christine P. Sun, Senior Counsel with the ACLU national Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Project, who represents Stewart along with Sherrod. "We hope that our telling the school about its legal obligations towards its students will make it think again about treating Cynthia Stewart like a second-class citizen."

The district has until November 20 to respond to the letter.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Ah small towns.

Of course proms are so lame she probably did this on purpose to try to ensure it gets cancelled.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Alternately, the principal could try not being a giant bigot for once. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 11, 2009, 10:57:29 AM
Of course proms are so lame she probably did this on purpose to try to ensure it gets cancelled.

Why would she want to get an event canceled that she helped organize?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on November 11, 2009, 10:58:34 AM
Alternately, the principal could try not being a giant bigot for once. :)

Don't make me post that pic of perez hilton again.

garbon

I don't know why she asked him though. She should have just brought her.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on November 11, 2009, 11:00:57 AM
Well, she probably IS a bit of an attention whore. -_-
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 11, 2009, 11:00:03 AM
Why would she want to get an event canceled that she helped organize?

Bringing down the lame from inside the system!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

stjaba

QuoteNow the principle says he will cancel the event for everyone if she is allowed to attend with her girlfriend.

:bleeding:

Valmy

Quote from: stjaba on November 11, 2009, 11:06:44 AM
QuoteNow the principle says he will cancel the event for everyone if she is allowed to attend with her girlfriend.

:bleeding:

Alabama education fails again.

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on November 11, 2009, 11:01:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 11, 2009, 11:00:57 AM
A She-Martinus, if you will.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on November 11, 2009, 11:01:55 AM

Which she would have got if she showed up at her prom with her.

Anyway, I think my approach to this is skewed as my two sisters went to one my sister's junior prom together, I believe. Maybe it was senior prom, not quite sure.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 11, 2009, 11:14:27 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 11, 2009, 11:02:52 AM
Bringing down the lame from inside the system!

Seems rather unlikely.

At some point you just have to laugh at the stupidity.