And we're back!

Main Menu

Health insurance bill passes the house

Started by jimmy olsen, November 08, 2009, 12:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 09, 2009, 04:51:54 PM
Quote from: Alcibiades on November 09, 2009, 04:19:21 PM
How would I go about paying this for instance?  Full time student, unemployed, no real income.  I don't like it, I never go to the doctor, but if they were making me pay I'd be getting every little ailment checked out, may as well.
That's how its worked out hre in Mass. Now that everyone has to have insurance everyone is running to the Doctor whenever something comes up.

Of course, why not? It doesn't cost you anything, or very little, so you might as well use it!

The joys of disconnecting the consumer of a service from the person paying for it - what could possibly go wrong???
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Fate

Quote from: Hansmeister on November 09, 2009, 12:06:47 AM
Quote from: Fate on November 08, 2009, 06:50:33 PM
68% of the Connecticut's citizens support the public option, but thank god Leiberman is on the front lines defending the health insurance lobby.

There's always reconciliation.  :)

And 74% of polls are made up.

The public option is overwhelmingly popular in Lieberman's state.   :huh:

Fate

How would I go about paying this for instance?  Full time student, unemployed, no real income. 

This may not apply to your circumstances, but I know the House bill changed the rules so that you are able to stay on your parents' insurance until the age of 27.

Oops, DG beat me. I know my parents' current plan has always been set at 25, rather than 22 (which is when most people graduate).

Alcibiades

Parents aren't an option.  I'm flying completely solo these days.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2009, 04:58:19 PM
How would I go about paying this for instance?  Full time student, unemployed, no real income.  I don't like it, I never go to the doctor, but if they were making me pay I'd be getting every little ailment checked out, may as well.
That's how its worked out hre in Mass. Now that everyone has to have insurance everyone is running to the Doctor whenever something comes up.

Of course, why not? It doesn't cost you anything, or very little, so you might as well use it!

The joys of disconnecting the consumer of a service from the person paying for it - what could possibly go wrong???
Who could have imagined a 600+ million dollar budget deficit?  Surely the thousands of people who will be layed off, and their slightly more fortunate peerrs who will be getting furloughs will be pleased that their sacrifice means that someone who paid nothing in will be getting necessary work done.
PDH!

DGuller

Isn't higher utilization kind of the point of health insurance reform?  The goal is not to have people avoiding doctors with insurance, whereas previously they avoided doctors without insurance.  Yeah, yeah, I know the point you guys are making, but I'm just throwing food for thought here.

Admiral Yi

Rachel Maddow is not too fond of Joe Lieberman right now.  he he

Hansmeister

Quote from: Fate on November 09, 2009, 05:27:29 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on November 09, 2009, 12:06:47 AM
Quote from: Fate on November 08, 2009, 06:50:33 PM
68% of the Connecticut's citizens support the public option, but thank god Leiberman is on the front lines defending the health insurance lobby.

There's always reconciliation.  :)

And 74% of polls are made up.

The public option is overwhelmingly popular in Lieberman's state.   :huh:
Evidence?

Hansmeister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 09, 2009, 11:58:41 PM
http://www.myleftnutmeg.com/diary/11757/support-for-public-option-in-connecticut-by-district
That must be the only poll showing a majority supporting the "public option" because virtually every serious poll I've seen shows between a majority and a plurality against it.  This particular poll shows not only a large majority in Connecticut, but also large majorities nationwides supporting it, which is a laughable.  Of course you would have to look at the internals of the poll and the way the question was phrased by the left-wing group that did this poll to get to the bottom of it.

Alatriste

Quote from: Berkut on November 09, 2009, 04:58:19 PM

Trouble with that idea is, going to the doctor is no great fun... actually, it's more like a pain in the ass, you do it only because you have to. Yes, with 'socialized health care' you go to the doctor 'whenever something comes up', he sees you and you don't pay a cent... in money. But you spend at least two hours making the appointment, going to the health center, waiting, seeing the doctor and afterwards you have to buy medicines if necessary (at a discount, but they aren't 100% free). Not my idea of a well spent afternoon unless I'm ill, and not totally free... besides, that 'whenever something comes up' part avoids persons going to the doctor only when their little ailments have developed into something really serious.

And you really really want people to use doctors, if only because so many ailments are infectious illnesses.

You really should spend all of five minutes examining how this kind of thing works in Europe. Not that the system is perfect, far from it, but some things you fear simply don't happen. Fearing consumers will visit the doctors every day without any valid reason is a bit like fearing mandatory car insurances will make the number of car crashes skyrocket right trough the roof.

Caliga

Quote from: Alatriste on November 10, 2009, 03:59:51 AM
You really should spend all of five minutes examining how this kind of thing works in Europe. Not that the system is perfect, far from it, but some things you fear simply don't happen. Fearing consumers will visit the doctors every day without any valid reason is a bit like fearing mandatory car insurances will make the number of car crashes skyrocket right trough the roof.
He's probably going by personal anecdotal experience here... I can tell you anecdotally that Princesca's former boss in Massachusetts was going to the doctor nonstop for both her and her two kids, and all three were on an absurd amount of medication.  Seriously, she was at doctors' appointments like 3-5 times a week on average.  She had her eight year old son on Prozac, Xanax, some acid reflux shit, etc. and had him going to a psychiatrist.  The thinking is that this kind of behavior is what killed HMOs.

I don't know for sure, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if Berkut has seen this kind of nonsense himself.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Based on the research that I've been doing here in Europe, I'd venture that Americans tend to care a lot less about the state and its money that Europeans.  Patients talk here about not wanting to be on very expensive medications as they understand that it costs the government a lot of money.  I think, us Americans, are more likely to be give what you got, I want the best and I don't care how much it costs the state.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2009, 08:39:17 AM
Based on the research that I've been doing here in Europe, I'd venture that Americans tend to care a lot less about the state and its money that Europeans.  Patients talk here about not wanting to be on very expensive medications as they understand that it costs the government a lot of money.  I think, us Americans, are more likely to be give what you got, I want the best and I don't care how much it costs the state.
:yes: That's very interesting, and I agree... I've never heard anyone even consider what's best for the state (libertarian or not).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on November 10, 2009, 08:41:21 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2009, 08:39:17 AM
:yes: That's very interesting, and I agree... I've never heard anyone even consider what's best for the state (libertarian or not).
Truth.  The closest we come is pundits screaming about how much this program is going to add overall to the national deficit.
Experience bij!