News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Racism in China

Started by jimmy olsen, November 15, 2009, 06:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

As evidenced by some of the posts in this thread.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 15, 2009, 03:34:03 PM
They likee the Alabama black longsnake.

Okay I just figured out that reference.

"No soul-brofah.  Too beaucoup!"
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on November 15, 2009, 04:48:50 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 15, 2009, 03:34:03 PM
They likee the Alabama black longsnake.

Okay I just figured out that reference.

"No soul-brofah.  Too beaucoup!"

:)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

In my experience, racism does exist in China.  For some reason, Chinese are particularly adverse to inter-racial marriages.  The darker the skin colour, the less acceptable the marriage is.  Marrying a rich caucausian is almost always acceptable.  Even a poor white is also fine.  Marrying a black is generally not ok, unless the black is rich of course.

Wealth and success are mitigating factors.  Chinese have no problem worshipping black idols, e.g. rock stars, sports stars etc.  If you are successful, your skin colour doesn't matter.  But if you're not, your skin colour will come into play.  I.e. a rich black man is preferabe to a poor Han Chinese, but a poor Han Chinese is preferable to a poor black man. 

Alatriste

From the article it seems to exist a combination of two factors: racism and.... well, 'whiteism', a taste for pale skins because the poor and the peasants are suntanned (that did indeed exist in Europe for centuries; suntan did become fashionable in the 1920s, and became mainstream only in the 1940s). And I have read many Japanese women still prefer to avoid bronzing.

MadImmortalMan

"It will be really interesting to see what happens when he comes to visit, because I really think the Chinese have a hard time with it," said Hung. "Nobody has dealt with this question of what this means to our sense of race. It's a kind of self-examination that Chinese — including myself — need to go through. Are we racist?"

Why yes. Yes you are.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

How is this a shocker?  Every culture on earth prefers people who look like them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2009, 03:28:32 PM
How is this a shocker?  Every culture on earth prefers people who look like them.

Except yellow and brown people who prefer white.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

It's fucking Canton.

Gawd.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Monoriu on November 15, 2009, 09:26:54 PM
Marrying a rich caucausian is almost always acceptable.  Even a poor white is also fine.
Which is better though:  A poor white or a poor Chinaman?  How about a rich white or a rich Chinaman?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Quote from: Neil on November 17, 2009, 10:53:55 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on November 15, 2009, 09:26:54 PM
Marrying a rich caucausian is almost always acceptable.  Even a poor white is also fine.
Which is better though:  A poor white or a poor Chinaman?  How about a rich white or a rich Chinaman?

Thing is, a lot of Chinese don't consider a "poor white" to be possible  :lol: