And we're back!

Main Menu

Health insurance bill passes the house

Started by jimmy olsen, November 08, 2009, 12:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Jaron on November 08, 2009, 03:55:33 AM
In jan 1, 2010, all US monies must be exchanged for Obama Dollars

These are different from Bush Dollars in what way?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

citizen k

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 08, 2009, 04:21:34 AM
Quote from: Jaron on November 08, 2009, 03:55:33 AM
In jan 1, 2010, all US monies must be exchanged for Obama Dollars

These are different from Bush Dollars in what way?

Not as much cocaine on them.

Fate

Quote from: citizen k on November 08, 2009, 02:54:30 AM
Quote from: Fate on November 08, 2009, 01:35:48 AM
Crying shame, I tell ya. I swear, if we have to give up that plasma and XBox 360...

That probably wouldn't even come close to covering the bill.
The bill? No. The premiums (or if you're crazy and choose the fine)? Yes.

The fine is $3,800 per year in the Senate version. I don't know the price tag of the public option premium in the House or Senate bills, but individual states such as Washington offer a public option on a sliding scale of your ability to pay between $90-250 a month.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on November 08, 2009, 12:56:37 AM
With this, you're smacked with a penalty, and no real options if you fall into the gap between what the government says you can afford and what you actually can afford.

Wouldn't this have no effect at all if there wasn't some sort of penalty?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Camerus

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Fate on November 08, 2009, 04:56:05 AM

The fine is $3,800 per year in the Senate version. I don't know the price tag of the public option premium in the House or Senate bills, but individual states such as Washington offer a public option on a sliding scale of your ability to pay between $90-250 a month.

Which is why if I start getting fined, I'm taking that shit to court.  I can't pay that.  I can't even pay the bills I already have without family assistance.  I'm really hoping the government's ready for the number of right to privacy suits that are going to be taken to court when the fines start forcing lower-income families even further behind on bills, but I'm pretty sure that's a false hope.
Experience bij!

Faeelin

This is going to incredibly hard on a lot of people, I think. The requirement to buy insurance will be what kills this for a whole lot of people.

It's not like car insurance. If you can't afford car insurance, you can just not drive and take public transportation. With this, you're smacked with a penalty, and no real options if you fall into the gap between what the government says you can afford and what you actually can afford.

Isn't the point that if you can't afford it the government will subsidize it?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Faeelin on November 08, 2009, 10:12:11 AM
Isn't the point that if you can't afford it the government will subsidize it?
In theory.  As Meri subtly pointed out, there's often a disparity between what the government thinks you can afford and what you can actually afford.
Experience bij!

garbon

Of course, there is generally a disparity between what citizens think they can afford and what they can actually afford.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 08, 2009, 02:54:14 AM
I'll use the Yi Strategy, and answer a question with a question, OK?
Depends.  If you drop the "public option would have lowered costs" line then it's OK.  If you bring it up again we can revisit it then. :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2009, 02:47:12 PM
Depends.  If you drop the "public option would have lowered costs" line then it's OK.  If you bring it up again we can revisit it then. :)

It would lower my costs.  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Fate

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 08, 2009, 09:13:26 AM
Quote from: Fate on November 08, 2009, 04:56:05 AM

Which is why if I start getting fined, I'm taking that shit to court.  I can't pay that.  I can't even pay the bills I already have without family assistance.  I'm really hoping the government's ready for the number of right to privacy suits that are going to be taken to court when the fines start forcing lower-income families even further behind on bills, but I'm pretty sure that's a false hope.

The country can no longer afford to pay for you and others like you who abuse health care services only when shit hits the fan in an emergency room. Time to pay up.

Neil

The public option does lower costs, because the public insurer has the advantage of being able to tell the hospitals what price they are allowed to charge.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

This is going to incredibly hard on a lot of people, I think. The requirement to buy insurance will be what kills this for a whole lot of people.

It's not like car insurance. If you can't afford car insurance, you can just not drive and take public transportation. With this, you're smacked with a penalty, and no real options if you fall into the gap between what the government says you can afford and what you actually can afford.

If we are going to provide universal care, it is going to suck for whoever has to pay for it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014