Student Strip Search Goes Before Supreme Court

Started by jimmy olsen, March 28, 2009, 06:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Iormlund on March 29, 2009, 10:09:44 AM
When it comes to taking stuff from home, my guess is most kids would rather take a bottle of whiskey rather than a box of any random medicine.
As for illegal drugs, they are very easy to obtain, especially weed and designer shit.
Yeah, that's very true.  I'd never have stolen drugs from home but unless the stuff looked really really nice I wouldn't object to stealing/drinking from the spirits cupboard.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Iormlund on March 29, 2009, 10:09:44 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 29, 2009, 10:02:30 AM
Quote from: SheilbhPlus the kids who are interested in drugs, in my experience, don't care or even really know about most prescribed ones.  They're far more difficult to get than the illegal ones.

How can that be? Prescription drugs are present in every house at one time or another.

When it comes to taking stuff from home, my guess is most kids would rather take a bottle of whiskey rather than a box of any random medicine.
As for illegal drugs, they are very easy to obtain, especially weed and designer shit.
They don't take random stuff, they go for the pain killers like Oxycontin. There's a huge black market in this.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Fireblade

Quote from: Strix on March 29, 2009, 09:20:55 AM
Quote from: Fireblade on March 28, 2009, 11:31:33 PM
Quote from: Strix on March 28, 2009, 07:42:12 PM
Honestly, the danger is that a lot of high school age (and younger) kids engage in what are called 'Pharm' parties. They grab prescription medications from their parents and relatives than mix and match eating them like a bunch of skittles to see what happens.

You're an idiot.

That isn't so meaningful coming from a waste case such as yourself. Get a job and a life than get back to me on that.

You don't know a goddamned thing about me. But that's not what's important. What's important is that you're a dipshit who doesn't know what he's talking about. "Pharm Parties" exist only in the feeble minds of the media and drug warriors like yourself.

So what are you again? A prison guard? I hope you get murdered in a prison riot.

Iormlund

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 29, 2009, 10:11:39 AM
They don't take random stuff, they go for the pain killers like Oxycontin. There's a huge black market in this.

Sweet Jesus. Who the fuck is stupid enough to leave an opiate unlocked and unsupervised at home?
In Spain, at least, obtaining that shit is hard. You need a special kind of prescription. Definitely much easier to score some shit on the streets.

Strix

Quote from: Fireblade on March 29, 2009, 10:12:46 AM
Quote from: Strix on March 29, 2009, 09:20:55 AM
Quote from: Fireblade on March 28, 2009, 11:31:33 PM
Quote from: Strix on March 28, 2009, 07:42:12 PM
Honestly, the danger is that a lot of high school age (and younger) kids engage in what are called 'Pharm' parties. They grab prescription medications from their parents and relatives than mix and match eating them like a bunch of skittles to see what happens.

You're an idiot.

That isn't so meaningful coming from a waste case such as yourself. Get a job and a life than get back to me on that.

You don't know a goddamned thing about me. But that's not what's important. What's important is that you're a dipshit who doesn't know what he's talking about. "Pharm Parties" exist only in the feeble minds of the media and drug warriors like yourself.

So what are you again? A prison guard? I hope you get murdered in a prison riot.

No, I am the guy you will be reporting to once you finish serving your first term in prison. Just like the other 70% of my caseload who are drug abusers.

Drink some more Shine. I wouldn't expect someone from ARkansas to know much about what's going on in the States that matter.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Fireblade

Quote from: Strix on March 29, 2009, 10:18:08 AM
No, I am the guy you will be reporting to once you finish serving your first term in prison. Just like the other 70% of my caseload who are drug abusers.

Drink some more Shine. I wouldn't except someone from ARkansas to know much about what's going on in the States that matter.

:lol: Strix, you're so worthless it's not even really worth insulting you.

DontSayBanana

There's two issues here: whether strip searches are a reasonable action for school officials, and whether the cause for this particular incident was reasonable.

Strip searches are, by nature, incredibly invasive and humiliating. That kind of authority should not be given to anyone outside law enforcement or certified security professionals.

The student had no disciplinary record, and teenage girls are well-known for bullying each other with rumors and false accusations. The rationale the district provided about her lack of disciplinary record simply meaning she had just gotten away with it violates the US premise of innocent until proven guilty; I think schools' tendency to search under that assumption is what needs to be addressed here.
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 29, 2009, 10:05:24 AM
Who decides if a kid's really sick and has to go home or if they're faking it? What if a kid gets hurt or falls ill and requires first aid?
What a waste of money.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Has Strix always been like this or when did he change into Paul Atreides II.

(II stands for number of eyes.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: Syt on March 29, 2009, 11:09:06 AM
Has Strix always been like this or when did he change into Paul Atreides II.

(II stands for number of eyes.)
What?  Paul would be demanding that the kids be allowed to shoot heroin in school.  Paul is almost the anti-Strix.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 29, 2009, 11:01:50 AM
Strip searches are, by nature, incredibly invasive and humiliating. That kind of authority should not be given to anyone outside law enforcement or certified security professionals.
For the record the girl was told to strip to her undies and shake them out.  No spread eagle latex fist up her ass or coochie.

dps

Quote from: Iormlund on March 29, 2009, 10:15:49 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 29, 2009, 10:11:39 AM

Sweet Jesus. Who the fuck is stupid enough to leave an opiate unlocked and unsupervised at home?
In Spain, at least, obtaining that shit is hard. You need a special kind of prescription. Definitely much easier to score some shit on the streets.

The discussion is about perscription drugs. 

And yeah, gernerally it is easier to get drugs that are outright illegal than it is to get perscription drugs without a perscription.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2009, 11:19:52 AM
For the record the girl was told to strip to her undies and shake them out.  No spread eagle latex fist up her ass or coochie.
For the record, I don't know of anyone who claimed that there was a cavity search such as you describe, so I am unsure why you felt it important that the record show that there was no cavity search.  :huh:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2009, 11:31:36 AM
For the record, I don't know of anyone who claimed that there was a cavity search such as you describe, so I am unsure why you felt it important that the record show that there was no cavity search.  :huh:
I can live with that.

Zanza

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 29, 2009, 10:05:24 AMWho decides if a kid's really sick and has to go home or if they're faking it?
The teacher.

QuoteWhat if a kid gets hurt or falls ill and requires first aid?
With younger children, the parents will be called and have to pick them up. With older children (middle school an up), you either go home alone or another student walks with you to the next doctor. If there is doubt that they can make it to the next doctor on their own, an ambulance is called.

Having a school nurse seems to be wasteful from my school experience. They would just twiddle their thumbs 95% of the time.