Student Strip Search Goes Before Supreme Court

Started by jimmy olsen, March 28, 2009, 06:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: Strix on March 28, 2009, 07:13:50 PMI am guessing you are unable to read that part that states "prescription-strength" in that section?

The part where it says "as strong as 2 normal Advil" really screws that.

OH GOD NO! SHE ONLY HAS TO TAKE HALF AS MANY TO ABUSE THIS VERSION!!!!111!!!

Martinus

Quote from: Iormlund on March 28, 2009, 07:23:08 PM
Quote from: Strix on March 28, 2009, 07:13:50 PM
Even Ibuprofen can cause issues if abused.
Indeed, it can make you unusually rowdy at a student dance, for example. Unacceptable.

And you people complain about Europe's nanny state. :lol:
Dude, it's Strix.

Ed Anger

In my day, we used to bring in whatever we wanted. Hell, in my junior year, I was popping enough aspirin to fight off the headaches the school(I am still convinced the building was trying to kill me) was giving me.

I'm glad I got out when I did. They pussified the schools soon afterward. Class of '89 baby.

Now, they coddle the kids and they turn out all emo. A stint in the army will shape them up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Iormlund

Strix brings up a good point, though. A school is full of dangers - for example glue. I presume the school nurse has to keep all that as well, lest a kid starts to inhale it.
And don't get me started on waxed floors or playground structures ...

Strix

Indeed, it can make you unusually rowdy at a student dance, for example. Unacceptable.

It can cause serious issues with a person's stomach and intestines and can be fatal if they are allergic to it especially when it it a higher prescription dose.

But, hey, they are kids. They know best what's good for their bodies.  :lol:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Strix

Quote from: Martinus on March 28, 2009, 07:26:43 PM

Dude, it's Strix.

You're correct sir. Which means unless we are discussing issues related to your imaginary law degree I know a whole lot more than some backwards uncivilized eastern european Pollack.  :hug:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Iormlund

You can save on that lecture. I'm perfectly aware of what Ibuprofen is, since I'm a) alergic and b) a sufferer of Crohn's disease.

And even as a kid I was smart enough to know I couldn't take any - not to mention any kind of random pill. Not that my friends would offer theirs. By the time we were 13 they were too busy getting hammered to care about doing some NSAIDs.

Strix

Quote from: Iormlund on March 28, 2009, 07:37:05 PM
You can save on that lecture. I'm perfectly aware of what Ibuprofen is, since I'm a) alergic and b) a sufferer of Crohn's disease.

And even as a kid I was smart enough to know I couldn't take any - not to mention any kind of random pill. Not that my friends would offer theirs. By the time we were 13 they were too busy getting hammered to care about doing some NSAIDs.

Honestly, the danger is that a lot of high school age (and younger) kids engage in what are called 'Pharm' parties. They grab prescription medications from their parents and relatives than mix and match eating them like a bunch of skittles to see what happens.

I don't know if this school had an issue with this or if it was having an issue with kids abusing prescription medications. I just know they put rules in place to avoid confusion and unfortunate accidents.

And, yes, kids are coddled too much in the US today. As a result we need these kinds of rules to save them from themselves.

Valmy

Oh jesus fucking christ.  The obvious danger is having kids bringing perscription drugs to school and handing them out to other students.

Like good school officials they were going by the letter of the law and not the spirit and went overboard.

But surely you are not so dense or moronic you cannot comprehend the simple logic of not allowing drugs judged too dangerous to be sold over the counter being used without adult supervision.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2009, 07:48:30 PMLike good school officials they were going by the letter of the law and not the spirit and went overboard.

If the letter of the law says "strip search for all prescription drugs" it's more than a little fucked up.

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on March 28, 2009, 07:56:11 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2009, 07:48:30 PMLike good school officials they were going by the letter of the law and not the spirit and went overboard.

If the letter of the law says "strip search for all prescription drugs" it's more than a little fucked up.

No I assure you it did not.  They clearly are in the wrong in this particular case, even if they turned up bags of crack in her ass.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Following on the saving of themselves thing, having a nurse at school up to date (and to take over with really dangerous stuff and small kids) is great, but to me it seems you (as in Americans although I've seen it often here as well) would rather shield kids from reality. And that's really dangerous because adults often fuck up as well. I've had to point out to nurses or doctors that I'm allergic to this or I'm taking that when they were going to make a mistake. It happens. We're all humans. I routinely ask what they are going to administrate me, why and how it works.

A kid, and especially a sick kid has to know exactly what he takes, what he cannot take, what may happen if he takes something he should not, why he cannot share his medicine, etc. And of course the home drug cabinet should be locked.

You want to keep kids from doing shit? That's something you can't delegate. It's your fucking job as a parent. And IMHO one of the most difficult, probably because of all the drug users I've known.

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2009, 07:58:37 PM
Quote from: ulmont on March 28, 2009, 07:56:11 PM

No I assure you it did not.  They clearly are in the wrong in this particular case, even if they turned up bags of crack in her ass.
Well that's what the SC is going to elucidate, isn't it?

Fate

If this were a male who had to strip down to his boxers, would there be nearly as much outrage?

Iormlund

Quote from: Fate on March 28, 2009, 08:25:38 PM
If this were a male who had to strip down to his boxers, would there be nearly as much outrage?
Depends on whether it was a Catholic School or not ...