Student Strip Search Goes Before Supreme Court

Started by jimmy olsen, March 28, 2009, 06:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Quote from: Iormlund on March 28, 2009, 08:28:54 PM
Quote from: Fate on March 28, 2009, 08:25:38 PM
If this were a male who had to strip down to his boxers, would there be nearly as much outrage?
Depends on whether it was a Catholic School or not ...
Let's assume the same facts as this case (a public school), except for the individual's gender.

Grey Fox

If this were a male who had to strip down to his boxers, would there be nearly as much outrage?

Of course not.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

FunkMonk

This is an OUTRAGE. Stripping in public is a RIGHT guaranteed in the CONSTITUTION. By God!
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2009, 07:48:30 PM
But surely you are not so dense or moronic you cannot comprehend the simple logic of not allowing drugs judged too dangerous to be sold over the counter being used without adult supervision.

Back when I was in jr. high and high school, we were considered to have enough sense to follow the directions on the label.  Of course, generally if you had been given a perscription, you were sick enough that you were going to be held out of school while you were taking it anyway.  Unless it was for a chronic condition, in which case you were supposed to learn how to administer it youself at as young an age as possible.

Fireblade

Quote from: Strix on March 28, 2009, 07:42:12 PM
Honestly, the danger is that a lot of high school age (and younger) kids engage in what are called 'Pharm' parties. They grab prescription medications from their parents and relatives than mix and match eating them like a bunch of skittles to see what happens.

You're an idiot.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Fireblade on March 28, 2009, 11:31:33 PM
Quote from: Strix on March 28, 2009, 07:42:12 PM
Honestly, the danger is that a lot of high school age (and younger) kids engage in what are called 'Pharm' parties. They grab prescription medications from their parents and relatives than mix and match eating them like a bunch of skittles to see what happens.

You're an idiot.

This guy says the whole thing is little more than media hysteria, with roots in 'fruit salad parties' in the 1960s.

http://www.slate.com/id/2187499/

Syt

Soon "Spin the bottle" will be punishable with 3 to 10 years in prison. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Schools here don't even have a nurse that could administer drugs to the students.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: Syt on March 29, 2009, 04:33:22 AM
Soon "Spin the bottle" will be punishable with 3 to 10 years in prison. :(

Youth prostitution! :o :ultra:
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Sheilbh

Quote from: Strix on March 28, 2009, 07:00:12 PM
So, in Poland kids can just bring any prescribed drug they want to school and self-medicate without any adult guidance?
They can in the UK, after a certain age.  If it's a six year old then the parents will probably tell the teachers who'll do the medicine for them. 

When I was younger I had problems with tonsilitis quite often and I'd bring my own antibiotics in and take them as prescribed.

This sounds, to me, like something the Daily Mail would describe as POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD! and I'd be inclined to agree. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2009, 06:05:42 AM
This sounds, to me, like something the Daily Mail would describe as POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD! and I'd be inclined to agree.
You and the Daily Mail have a weird definition of political correctness.

Richard Hakluyt

What about kids with asthma inhalers? Do they get to expire somewhere whilst waiting for a "competent" adult, or are they allowed to keep their inhalers on them?

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2009, 06:05:42 AM
They can in the UK, after a certain age.  If it's a six year old then the parents will probably tell the teachers who'll do the medicine for them. 

When I was younger I had problems with tonsilitis quite often and I'd bring my own antibiotics in and take them as prescribed.

Interesting.  So, in Britain, kids can bring any prescritption drugs in any amounts they want to school?  They won't have any prescription with them, of course, just the label on the bottle.

Sounds like what the Daily Mail would describe as NEGLIGENCE GONE MAD! and I'd be inclined to agree.  That is a recipe for disaster.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 29, 2009, 06:32:43 AM
What about kids with asthma inhalers? Do they get to expire somewhere whilst waiting for a "competent" adult, or are they allowed to keep their inhalers on them?
What do you think?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

I would assume they keep their inhalers on them, but the drugs the inhalers use are powerful and can give you a hit, so given the fuss about ibuprofen maybe not.