News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

It's time for some book recommendations!

Started by Korea, November 06, 2009, 03:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korea

I want my mother fucking points!

Eddie Teach

I read the first couple hundred pages of Wizard's First Rule. No rape, just lots of prose that sounded like it was written by a sixth grader.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on November 06, 2009, 09:04:00 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2009, 08:28:39 PM
Lest Darkness Fall is excellent.
Agree. It is what all the trash alt-hists want when they write. Hell, Stirling even wrote an "end note" story to it...never had the desire to read the Apotheosis of Martinus Padua

I have no desire to read anything Stirling writes.  Though I think of Lest Darkness fall as a time travel story more then a Alt-history.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 08, 2009, 12:53:10 PM
I read the first couple hundred pages of Wizard's First Rule. No rape, just lots of prose that sounded like it was written by a sixth grader.
Wizard's First RUle was mental popcorn, good for a quick read.  WHen he got the book deal and decided to steal the worst of Jordan  and snuff fiction things went down hill.
PDH!

Korea

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 08, 2009, 12:53:10 PM

I think in the first one the guy gets raped. A lot.  But I think as the novels progress the females rapes increase. By a lot.

Korea

Quote from: ulmont on November 06, 2009, 08:13:24 PM
More recommendations, although if you don't like the Black Company there's no hope for you.  The links are usually to the kindle version, just for reference.

Black Sun Rising - C. S. Friedman:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Sun-Rising-Coldfire-Trilogy/dp/0756403146/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2

I decided to try this one. Thanks. :)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Korea

Korea

Quote from: Korea on November 10, 2009, 11:21:05 PM
Quote from: ulmont on November 06, 2009, 08:13:24 PM
More recommendations, although if you don't like the Black Company there's no hope for you.  The links are usually to the kindle version, just for reference.

Black Sun Rising - C. S. Friedman:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Sun-Rising-Coldfire-Trilogy/dp/0756403146/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2

I decided to try this one. Thanks. :)

I am utterly confused by this book. I feel like I'm missing some vital piece of information that would bring it all together.  :huh:

Korea