It's time for some book recommendations!

Started by Korea, November 06, 2009, 03:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 07, 2009, 11:40:49 PM
The Eye of the World would have been better as a standalone rather than the hook into a rather tedious series.
Lies!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 07, 2009, 11:41:35 PM
The Eye of the World would have been better as a standalone rather than the hook into a rather tedious series.
Lies!
No, he's right.  It's hard to imagine a promising begining going more horribly wrong than the Wheel of Time.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on November 07, 2009, 11:45:20 PM
Lies!
No, he's right.  It's hard to imagine a promising begining going more horribly wrong than the Wheel of Time.
I disagree. Book 11 was my second favorite one, and book 12 is getting great reviews.

I reread the series every year.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Korea on November 07, 2009, 11:19:41 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 06, 2009, 10:44:49 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 06, 2009, 10:33:28 PM
Sprague is awesome.

But Kildar is more an 'urban fantasy' than military sci fi.  It gets classified that sometimes because of some subplot about a mutant plague.
I guess that got left out in the review I read.

Don't even think about reading it Koera, the main character is a crazed rapist.
I am intrigued now.

Hmm.  You and me both.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 08, 2009, 12:05:41 AM
Sprague is awesome.

But Kildar is more an 'urban fantasy' than military sci fi.  It gets classified that sometimes because of some subplot about a mutant plague.

I am intrigued now.

Hmm.  You and me both.
The 1st book in the series is named Ghost.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Lies!
I almost have to agree.  So much of the work took a long time to say very little.  There was enough good stuff buried under the dross to make a good series.  Even a great one. 

I think in the end the Wheel of Time, while I did love it, is a cautionary tale about the peril sof being your own editor.
PDH!

Korea

Sprague is awesome.

I am intrigued now.

Hmm.  You and me both.

If that intrigues you then you should definitely read Goodkinds Sword of Truth series.
I want my mother fucking points!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Korea on November 08, 2009, 12:41:31 AM
Sprague is awesome.

I am intrigued now.

Hmm.  You and me both.

If that intrigues you then you should definitely read Goodkinds Sword of Truth series.

Highlight the rape parts for me.  I'll read those.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Strix

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 08, 2009, 12:21:49 AM
Lies!
I almost have to agree.  So much of the work took a long time to say very little.  There was enough good stuff buried under the dross to make a good series.  Even a great one. 

I think in the end the Wheel of Time, while I did love it, is a cautionary tale about the peril sof being your own editor.

And what happens when you take so long writing the series.....and croak before it's over!
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on November 06, 2009, 08:20:43 PM
Try finding a copy of L. Sprague DeCamp's The Dragon of the Ishtar Gate for a nice "historical" romp absolutely indistinguishable from a fantasy romp, and then his Lest darkness Fall for an alt-his fantasy that really and truly does not suck.  Both are older books, so you may need to go used, but both are fabulous classics of their genres, and should appeal to any reader of fantasy.

Can't recommend  Lest darkness Fall too highly - it really is excellent. Haven't read The Dragon of the Ishtar Gate yet - I'll try to remedy that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2009, 07:05:29 PM
For a wildcard: I'm currently loving Cornwell's Saxon books.
They're historic fiction, not fantasy, but they read just like they're from a hard fantasy setting. Really, really good stuff.

Yup, and a new one just came out. Excellent stuff.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Strix on November 08, 2009, 01:07:41 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 08, 2009, 12:21:49 AM
Lies!

And what happens when you take so long writing the series.....and croak before it's over!
I think it improved when he started letting TOR edit his crap, they cut hundreds of pages out of the last book, and it was the best one in nearly a decade.
PDH!

Strix

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 08, 2009, 11:31:48 AM
I think it improved when he started letting TOR edit his crap, they cut hundreds of pages out of the last book, and it was the best one in nearly a decade.

I have to agree with that. The series was getting old and than I happened to buy that book in a discount store because I needed something to read on a trip. I enjoyed it a lot. It resembled the early parts of the series more.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Korea

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 08, 2009, 12:45:10 AM
Quote from: Korea on November 08, 2009, 12:41:31 AM
Sprague is awesome.

I am intrigued now.

Hmm.  You and me both.

Highlight the rape parts for me.  I'll read those.

:lol: So every other page then?
I want my mother fucking points!