It's time for some book recommendations!

Started by Korea, November 06, 2009, 03:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korea

I just realized that I haven't read a fantasy book in a long time and I have no idea what to try. So, give me some recommendations. Authors I've liked include: Brandon Sanderson, Robin Hobb, George R. R. Martin, Terry Goodkind
I want my mother fucking points!

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Cecil

Quote from: Korea on November 06, 2009, 03:10:02 PM
I just realized that I haven't read a fantasy book in a long time and ,

I´ve liked George R. R. Martin

Yeah I hear there is a lot of that going around.  :lol:

Malthus

Try Abercrombie. I really liked his stuff for engaging fantasy:

http://www.amazon.ca/Blade-Itself-Joe-Abercrombie/dp/0575079797/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257537818&sr=1-5

He delights in totally unlovable heroes. One of the leading characters is a bitter, crippled professional torturer - and he's the good guy.  :lol:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Njal's saga. This is what Tolkien was reading when got the idea for the idea of Fantasy at all.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Berkut

I just realized that I haven't read a fantasy book in a long time and I have no idea what to try. So, give me some recommendations. Authors I've liked include: Brandon Sanderson, Robin Hobb, George R. R. Martin, Terry Goodkind

Have you read Raymond Feist?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Authors I've liked include:  Robin Hobb, Terry Goodkind

Go to local bookstore. Go to sci/fi fantasy section. Pick random book with elves or dragons on cover. There's a 95% chance this book is better than Goodkind.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Quote from: Berkut on November 06, 2009, 03:25:52 PM

Have you read Raymond Feist?
Good books, good author. Try his books. I suggest start with Magician's Apprentice, the first in a series. Good and fast reads. Then he has other books based in the same fantasy world, different characters or spin offs of some main characters.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

ulmont

Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2009, 03:58:13 PM
I also liked this one a lot:

http://www.amazon.ca/Kingkiller-Chronicle-Day-Name-Wind/dp/0756404746/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

That one is truly awesome, but the motherfucker, after claiming that "all the books are written," has yet to release book 2, 2 and a half years later.

ulmont

Berkut

Quote from: ulmont on November 06, 2009, 04:11:48 PM
Try Glen Cook, the Black Company series.  Now in convenient collected form, first volume is here.
http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Black-Company-Glen-Cook/dp/0765319233/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257541164&sr=8-2

Oh man, I hated the 1/3rd of that book I made it through.

Croaker made me want to commit suicide.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

The Black Company may be too much of a downer for Korea. The Dread Empire books too.

At least there are no fucking elves.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 06, 2009, 03:28:24 PM
Authors I've liked include:  Robin Hobb, Terry Goodkind

Go to local bookstore. Go to sci/fi fantasy section. Pick random book with elves or dragons on cover. There's a 95% chance this book is better than Goodkind.  :P
No kidding. 

I recommend the Kildar books by John Ringo.  You'll love them.
PDH!

ulmont