It's time for some book recommendations!

Started by Korea, November 06, 2009, 03:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Razgovory

You can try David Eddings Belgariad.  I liked them in Junior High.

Oh and why not some of the classics in the genre like Lieber and Howard?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Kleves on November 06, 2009, 05:31:28 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2009, 03:58:13 PM
I also liked this one a lot:

http://www.amazon.ca/Kingkiller-Chronicle-Day-Name-Wind/dp/0756404746/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b
That's the one with the gypsy peasant who is incredible at everything he tries? I couldn't stand it.

Sounds like Siddharta. Found that one annoying and retarded, but then I read it in high school.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Strix

Try L.E. Modesitt, Jr, he had some good books. The Corean Chronicles are interesting.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Grallon

Once again, The Prince of Nothing trilogy by Scott Bakker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Nothing).  Though I think ID would enjoy it more than you dear.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Josquius

For a wildcard: I'm currently loving Cornwell's Saxon books.
They're historic fiction, not fantasy, but they read just like they're from a hard fantasy setting. Really, really good stuff.
██████
██████
██████

Kleves

I'll second the recommendation of Cornwell.

I won't second the recommendation of Bakker's books. The protagonist was another ubermensch who is fantastically skilled at every conceivable pursuit. Which is interesting, since he's basically the product of centuries of inbreeding and isolation.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Korea

I want my mother fucking points!

Korea

Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2009, 03:17:52 PM
Try Abercrombie. I really liked his stuff for engaging fantasy:

http://www.amazon.ca/Blade-Itself-Joe-Abercrombie/dp/0575079797/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257537818&sr=1-5

He delights in totally unlovable heroes. One of the leading characters is a bitter, crippled professional torturer - and he's the good guy.  :lol:

Oh, I actually just bought the books. I thought it was pretty good but it was hard for me to get into it. I only read the first one and part of the second one. I do keep meaning to go back and give it another try.

Korea

Quote from: Viking on November 06, 2009, 03:19:54 PM
Njal's saga. This is what Tolkien was reading when got the idea for the idea of Fantasy at all.

Sounds interesting. I may give this one a go.

Korea

Quote from: Berkut on November 06, 2009, 03:25:52 PM
Quote from: Korea on November 06, 2009, 03:10:02 PM
I just realized that I haven't read a fantasy book in a long time and I have no idea what to try. So, give me some recommendations. Authors I've liked include: Brandon Sanderson, Robin Hobb, George R. R. Martin, Terry Goodkind

Have you read Raymond Feist?

Yeah the first two Magician books. After that I think I remembered it got retarded?

Korea

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 06, 2009, 03:28:24 PM
Quote from: Korea on November 06, 2009, 03:10:02 PM
Authors I've liked include:  Robin Hobb, Terry Goodkind

Go to local bookstore. Go to sci/fi fantasy section. Pick random book with elves or dragons on cover. There's a 95% chance this book is better than Goodkind.  :P

:lol: I know. I was a bit apprehensive about admitting I like Goodkind a lot. Even if I don't necessarily agree with his philosophy.

Korea

Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2009, 03:58:13 PM
I also liked this one a lot:

http://www.amazon.ca/Kingkiller-Chronicle-Day-Name-Wind/dp/0756404746/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

I just finished reading this one a few weeks ago! I absolutely loved it. I can't wait for the sequel. But this is why I hate reading a trilogy or series before it is completed.  <_<