News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL 2009 Official Thread

Started by Strix, March 10, 2009, 01:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I have Guinness goodness and steaks waiting for the start of game 4.

I am crossing my fingers for tickets to game 5.

saskganesh

I'll be making masala. Pumped for the game AND for more Basilie mischief.

humans were created in their own image

Strix

Quote from: HVC on May 06, 2009, 09:22:54 PM
A much deserved win by the Penguins. also, curse you Canes.

Oddly enough the last time the Steelers won the Superbowl the Canes won the Cup. Who won the Superbowl this year?  :menace:

And did you guys catch Cowher turning the air raid siren to welcome the Canes players onto the ice.   :hug:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Grey Fox

Quote from: saskganesh on May 07, 2009, 12:17:16 PM
I'll be making masala. Pumped for the game AND for more Basilie mischief.

It seems the only viable way is for the court to deem that preventing an owner from relocating by the NHL would be violation of Anti-trust law.

Bettman, be proving wrong publically like that. I wouldn't believe it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Strix on May 07, 2009, 02:36:55 PM
Oddly enough the last time the Steelers won the Superbowl the Canes won the Cup. Who won the Superbowl this year?  :menace:
I don't have the canes hate of most other hockey fans. It seems like you guys have a semi-decent following. i just like the Bruins (this year at least :P )
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Delirium

World championship semifinal tomorrow between Team Canada and Sweden.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 07, 2009, 03:33:37 PM
It seems the only viable way is for the court to deem that preventing an owner from relocating by the NHL would be violation of Anti-trust law.
It was my understanding that based on what happened with Al Davis, that the court would almost certainly take the position that it was a violation of anti-trust law to prevent them from moving.  The real question is whether the NHL can get the bankruptcy invalidated on the basis that the owner had already abandoned the team.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

saskganesh

Quote from: Delirium on May 07, 2009, 03:42:12 PM
World championship semifinal tomorrow between Team Canada and Sweden.

this never gets old

:hug:

saskganesh

second hand twitter report from  Phoenix court this afternoon, where the application was discussed:

"Judge doesn't want to decide before the draft, says we don't have enough time."

This will drag on. The implication is that Phoenix will be unprepared for July 1st Free Agency and will likely be a horrible team next year, which will kill them.

hwoop
update

Quoteupdate from the courtroom; hearing scheduled for May 19th to determine whether Moyes or NHL is in charge.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2009, 04:36:26 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 07, 2009, 03:33:37 PM
It was my understanding that based on what happened with Al Davis, that the court would almost certainly take the position that it was a violation of anti-trust law to prevent them from moving.  The real question is whether the NHL can get the bankruptcy invalidated on the basis that the owner had already abandoned the team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/169548-a-legal-analysis-of-the-state-of-the-phoenix-coyotes/show_full

That article is a pretty good analysis.

Containing to who's in charge, he clearly thinks that Moyes retains the right to declare brankruptcy.

QuoteThe NHL now disputes Moyes' authority to file for bankruptcy. According to the league, when the Coyotes took a significant loan from the NHL in April (and likely on multiple occasions prior to April), Moyes agreed to forfeit his right to declare bankruptcy on behalf of the team in exchange for the cash.

If the NHL has its way, this promise will be deemed to be part of the loan contract between the NHL and the Coyotes, and Moyes will be barred from violating the deal.

But there are significant questions about the viability of a promise not to declare bankruptcy. While a contract is a contract, courts have long recognized the right of a contract participant to breach the contract, so long as they are willing to live with the consequences and pay financial damages. This is called the rule of the "Efficient Breach."

The only exception to the rule of "efficient breach" is when a court determines that there is no way to assess damages. In this setting, damages are easily valuated—the amount of loan money Moyes accepted from the NHL.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PRC

Wicked goal by Hordichuk and Rypien's pass after some furious action by Chicago!

PRC

Neil

Quote from: PRC on May 07, 2009, 09:28:30 PM
Mother FUCK!
Don't worry.  The fix is in.  There's no way that Vancouver could have escaped that last series penalty-free if the refs weren't under orders to throw it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PRC

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2009, 09:34:02 PM
Don't worry.  The fix is in.  There's no way that Vancouver could have escaped that last series penalty-free if the refs weren't under orders to throw it.

Gary Bettman is throwing a bone to Canada for trying to stop Balsillie bringing a team here?

C.C.R.

It's getting dark on the pond...Mom's calling for dinner...NEXT GOAL WINS!!!

:ccr