News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL 2009 Official Thread

Started by Strix, March 10, 2009, 01:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quoteif you goto the Phoenix newspaper's website commentary, it seems that a good chunk of respondents never knew they had a hockey team. funny.

Heck the Tampa Bay Newspaper didn't even know their team won the Stanley Cup.

Sort of ironic they compare themselves with traditional Hockey markets...somehow I have a hard time imagining Chicago media missing the fact the Blackhawks just won the championship.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

saskganesh

Dewey Defeats Truman. Did that actually run?  Tampa had the lead for the whole game 7. :huh: :D
humans were created in their own image

Valmy

Quote from: saskganesh on May 06, 2009, 09:13:03 AM
Dewey Defeats Truman. Did that actually run?  Tampa had the lead for the whole game 7. :huh: :D

Nobody at the newspaper watched the game so they didn't know. 

Anyway I enjoy seeing Bettman and the NHL moving around beloved franchises for supposedly cold economic reasons...and when those same franchises fail miserably in their new locations they struggle to keep them there against all economic sense.  Bettman just cannot accept he is a miserable failure and the collapse of the NHL in exposure over the past 15 years is entirely his doing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2009, 09:19:24 AM
Anyway I enjoy seeing Bettman and the NHL moving around beloved franchises for supposedly cold economic reasons...and when those same franchises fail miserably in their new locations they struggle to keep them there against all economic sense.  Bettman just cannot accept he is a miserable failure and the collapse of the NHL in exposure over the past 15 years is entirely his doing.
Entirely.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

saskganesh

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2009, 09:19:24 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on May 06, 2009, 09:13:03 AM

Nobody at the newspaper watched the game so they didn't know. 

it's a real Roman Holiday. I like it too.

katmai

No teams going back to Canada!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Southern Ontario can accomodate another bad team.

Neil

Quote from: katmai on May 06, 2009, 02:21:24 PM
No teams going back to Canada!
Or anywhere, for that matter.  Gary Bettman would sooner blow up the NHL than have his terrible decisions be corrected.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

saskganesh

My take is Bettman will do everything he can to keep the team in Phoenix. He may be successful in the short term,  which includes withdrawing the bankruptcy petition(filed by a guy who owns, but now no longer apparently represents the team), and then finding alternative ownership. But if that alternative ownership fails, or does not manifest, he will have used up his credibility with BOG. Then the BOG will sever him with great vigour.

Strix

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2009, 12:02:01 PM
I hope this will make Cam Ward a valuable choice for the 2010 team.

Tell me, Turco is done right? I'm not even sure I'd bring Brodeur.

The thing with Ward that most of the media either don't get or are unwilling to acknowledge is that he is a very good goaltender but has Carolina's D out in front of him. They blamed him a lot for the Canes missing the playoffs the last couple seasons but ignored the fact that the two best defenders the Canes had were Wesley and Hedican who were both 5-7+ years past their prime. The Canes finally made some hard choices and have put together some good mobile young defensemen. Corvo, Pikanen, Babchuk, and Gleason are doing an excellent job with yeoman work from Wallin and Seidenberg, and surprise surprise once they got a chance to gel the Canes took off.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Neil

Quote from: saskganesh on May 06, 2009, 03:58:45 PM
My take is Bettman will do everything he can to keep the team in Phoenix. He may be successful in the short term,  which includes withdrawing the bankruptcy petition(filed by a guy who owns, but now no longer apparently represents the team), and then finding alternative ownership. But if that alternative ownership fails, or does not manifest, he will have used up his credibility with BOG. Then the BOG will sever him with great vigour.
One of the talking heads (I don't remember which one) was talking about how the NHL might run afoul of US antitrust law.

Still, one wonders what it would take to get to get the Board of Governors to turn on Bettman.

HVC

A much deserved win by the Penguins. also, curse you Canes.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jech

Quote from: jech on May 05, 2009, 02:09:52 PM
And I hope Bylsma sits Letang for Boucher. At least Boucher keeps the puck in the zone on the PP and actually puts it on net when he has an open shot.

The funny thing is I would've stood by this statement the entire game until he scored that goal. He was terrible tonight. But that one shot redeems it all.....talk about goat to hero in a matter of seconds. You gotta love this sport.

By far the best hockey game I've been to in my life. My first experience with playoff OT hockey in person.....thats some scary stuff. 
:cheers:

Valmy

The Caps were totally dominated and only got that game into OT on sheer luck.  WTF guys?  :mad:

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2009, 07:52:54 AM
The Caps were totally dominated and only got that game into OT on sheer luck.  WTF guys?  :mad:
And the luck was the goalie of a million names. If he isn't just a flash in the pan this kid will have a great career.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.