News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Soviet Paintings from WW2

Started by Faeelin, October 28, 2009, 02:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

I came across a link to an archive of Soviet paintings for WW2; it's truly amazing stuff; I choked a couple of times looking at some of these.

http://www.allworldwars.com/Soviet%20War%20Paintings.html

And it has the best "Oh snap!" moment ever, depicting German prisoners of War marching through the capital.

The title? "They Saw Moscow."

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Very nice. Many of those paintings are surprisingly effective.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Faeelin on October 28, 2009, 02:03:36 PM
I came across a link to an archive of Soviet paintings for WW2; it's truly amazing stuff; I choked a couple of times looking at some of these.

http://www.allworldwars.com/Soviet%20War%20Paintings.html

And it has the best "Oh snap!" moment ever, depicting German prisoners of War marching through the capital.

Yea warcrimes?  :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

I too choked a couple of times. Communism ftl.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on October 28, 2009, 02:52:17 PM
Yea warcrimes?  :huh:

You know, as war crimes in WW2 go, using prisoners from an army led with the goal of enslaving the peoples of Eastern Europe in a parade is pretty low on the list.

Lettow77

The Soviet Union, I suppose, did not have the goal of enslaving the peoples of eastern europe, but it just happened to work out that way :)
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Berkut

Quote from: Faeelin on October 28, 2009, 02:03:36 PM

I wonder how many of them ever saw Germany again.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Faeelin on October 28, 2009, 03:23:27 PM
You know, as war crimes in WW2 go, using prisoners from an army led with the goal of enslaving the peoples of Eastern Europe in a parade is pretty low on the list.

Still a warcrime.  Not to mention what happened to them after the parade, as Berkut alluded to.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 28, 2009, 03:29:36 PM
The Soviet Union, I suppose, did not have the goal of enslaving the peoples of eastern europe, but it just happened to work out that way :)
It did? I must have missed when that happened.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on October 28, 2009, 04:10:34 PM
It did? I must have missed when that happened.

LOL were you born: after the cold war?

DGuller

Probably most of them survived.  This was 1944, and those that marched weren't wounded or diseased, so they were even less likely to be among those that died in captivity.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on October 28, 2009, 04:14:07 PM
Probably most of them survived.  This was 1944, and those that marched weren't wounded or diseased, so they were even less likely to be among those that died in captivity.

Yay, just 10ish years left in camps!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on October 28, 2009, 04:15:19 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 28, 2009, 04:14:07 PM

Yay, just 10ish years left in camps!
It toughened them up.