Soviet Paintings from WW2

Started by Faeelin, October 28, 2009, 02:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 28, 2009, 05:59:00 PM
Or shit on the chest of another woman.  :cry:

Tragic.

for the women, I mean.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Strix

Quote from: DGuller on October 28, 2009, 04:41:06 PM
Am I the only one who finds it a little silly to complain about parading prisoners during WWII?  If I were a German POW, the parade would probably be the most pleasant part of my captivity.  If I were a Soviet POW in German hands, I would be wishing that I were in shape to be in such a parade.

Yes, the Soviets treated the Germans quite well. I remember learning in history class that out of the 90,000 (or so) Germans taken prisoner at Stalingrad only 5,000 survived the 10 years to be released back to Germany.

It must have been such a worker's paradise that the other 85,000 refused to leave.

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

The Brain

But the Russians were the good guys in WW2! How dare you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Strix on October 28, 2009, 06:46:06 PM
Am I the only one who finds it a little silly to complain about parading prisoners during WWII?  If I were a German POW, the parade would probably be the most pleasant part of my captivity.  If I were a Soviet POW in German hands, I would be wishing that I were in shape to be in such a parade.

Yes, the Soviets treated the Germans quite well. I remember learning in history class that out of the 90,000 (or so) Germans taken prisoner at Stalingrad only 5,000 survived the 10 years to be released back to Germany.

It must have been such a worker's paradise that the other 85,000 refused to leave.
Where did I say that the Soviets treated the Germans well?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on October 28, 2009, 04:10:34 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on October 28, 2009, 03:29:36 PM
The Soviet Union, I suppose, did not have the goal of enslaving the peoples of eastern europe, but it just happened to work out that way :)
It did? I must have missed when that happened.

You're so ridiculous when you say things like this I wonder if you're a parody. :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Think of it as a really bad road game.

Razgovory

Most died of typus and malnutrition resulting from the battle.  The Germans captured at Stalingrad were in really poor shape.  A major die off was all but inevitable.  Officers had a 50% chance of survival, enlisted 10%.  Guess who was better fed in the siege?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on October 28, 2009, 09:05:57 PM

Most died of typus and malnutrition resulting from the battle.  The Germans captured at Stalingrad were in really poor shape.  A major die off was all but inevitable.  Officers had a 50% chance of survival, enlisted 10%.  Guess who was better fed in the siege?

That doesn't disqualify the horrid conditions they were kept in as prisoners until the fucking 1950s, you ass.

Faeelin

Quote from: Berkut on October 28, 2009, 04:52:02 PM
It is certainly the case that no matter how bad the German POWs had it at the hands of the Russian captors, they were a hell of a lot better off than the Soviet POWs in German hands were.

I suppose my thing is that whiel I recognize the USSR was an evil monstrous regime, the Soviet people themselves fought a struggle to the death to ensure their children would not be serfs for Nazi farmers, unable to read or write, exterminated in the millions for a state that aimed to create golgotha on Earth.

But YMMV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Faeelin on October 28, 2009, 09:26:01 PM
I suppose my thing is that whiel I recognize the USSR was an evil monstrous regime, the Soviet people themselves fought a struggle to the death to ensure their children would not be serfs for Nazi farmers, unable to read or write, exterminated in the millions for a state that aimed to create golgotha on Earth.

As opposed to, say, ensuring their children would not be serfs for collective farms, unable to read or write, exterminated in the millions for a man named Stalin that aimed to create Golgotha on Earth.

Josephus

Quote from: CountDeMoney
That doesn't disqualify the horrid conditions they were kept in as prisoners until the fucking 1950s, you ass.

No argument.

Our point, is, though, that at least, starving as they might have been, they were let out for some excercise from time to time. After all, nothing beats marching up and down the square.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLJ8ILIE780
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 28, 2009, 09:32:19 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on October 28, 2009, 09:26:01 PM

As opposed to, say, ensuring their children would not be serfs for collective farms, unable to read or write, exterminated in the millions for a man named Stalin that aimed to create Golgotha on Earth.
Soviet Union had near universal literacy rate, so just that already make life under Stalin better.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 28, 2009, 09:12:26 PM

Most of the Stalingrad guys died well before that.  There was a massive die off in the first few months.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on October 28, 2009, 09:45:20 PM
Soviet Union had near universal literacy rate, so just that already make life under Stalin better.

How else could they be properly educated by readying Pravda everyday?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."