European: No
Asian: Yes
Asian: No
Other: Yes
Other: No

grumbler

Quote from: merithyn on October 28, 2009, 04:42:40 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 27, 2009, 09:05:56 PM
In addition, in this report you can see that the incidence of death due to pneumonia and flu hasn't changed much at all from the 1960s to now, despite the widespread use of flu vaccines since the 1990s.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/lead1900_98.pdf

The flu is one of those things that we will never eradicate. The vaccine has its uses for those most compromised and at risk, but it makes little sense for everyone to get the vaccine. The risk is minimal, and there's no chance of getting rid of it completely, unlike polio or smallpox.

Restated for BB's benefit.
Actually, your data shows about a 1/3 drop in pneumonia and influenza death rates in that time frame (from roughly 36/100k to 25/100k).  That isn't as big as the drop from the 150/100k in the first half of the century, but it is significant.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Drakken

Quote from: Berkut on October 29, 2009, 08:06:37 AM
Well, apparently this Saturday was not soon enough - Jake appears to have the flu.

Damn. :(

Still, console yourself by knowin his immune system has been propped with the h1n1 anticorps by the vaccine, even after a few days though not long enough to prevent the infection. So his body is better prepared to fight it.

Grey Fox

Is the H1N1 tho? It's still just the flu.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

ulmont

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 29, 2009, 10:15:12 AM

The odds are something like 98% that any flu you get now is H1N1, based on the weekly CDC report: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

saskganesh

Quote from: DocDoom7 on October 28, 2009, 06:15:34 PM
Would you need to do a mass vaccination of pigs/poultry as well just to make sure something crazy doesn't get working in them and slip around the universal human vaccine?

the current industrial food model is mass animal containment and industrial-scale biohazard controls. mass vaccination would be a secondary step; another option is quarantine and destruction of infected protein-carriers (i.e. animals). some people are pushing for irradiation of everything.

under this kind of system, we may as well grow all our meat in a petri dish.

humans were created in their own image

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

For those concerned about it, it was basically like having the regular flu plus a bad hangover.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Drakken

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 29, 2009, 10:49:35 AM
For those concerned about it, it was basically like having the regular flu plus a bad hangover.

Color me unsurprised.  -_-

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on October 29, 2009, 08:06:37 AM
Well, apparently this Saturday was not soon enough - Jake appears to have the flu.

Hope he feels better soon.

crazy canuck

Quote from: ulmont on October 29, 2009, 10:25:13 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 29, 2009, 10:15:12 AM

The odds are something like 98% that any flu you get now is H1N1, based on the weekly CDC report: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

That data is a bit suspect.  For example doctors here are not even testing anymore to see what kind of flu people have unless they present with tell tale H1N1 symptoms.  Therefore the only data being reported is H1N1 but as doctors continue to caution, there are a lot of other viruses out there and so just because you get the flu you it may not be H1N1 and so you should get vaccinated unless H1N1 was confirmed.

Unless of course you live in Meri's part of the world were apparently other viruses simply dont exist.

ulmont

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 29, 2009, 10:56:48 AM
That data is a bit suspect.  For example doctors here are not even testing anymore to see what kind of flu people have unless they present with tell tale H1N1 symptoms.  Therefore the only data being reported is H1N1

Considering that only 37.5% of the specimens tested turned out to actually be influenza, I'm not sure that's accurate.

crazy canuck

Quote from: ulmont on October 29, 2009, 11:04:42 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 29, 2009, 10:56:48 AM
That data is a bit suspect.  For example doctors here are not even testing anymore to see what kind of flu people have unless they present with tell tale H1N1 symptoms.  Therefore the only data being reported is H1N1

Considering that only 37.5% of the specimens tested turned out to actually be influenza, I'm not sure that's accurate.

You dont think it is possible to have symptoms that are similar to H1N1 (shortness of breath being the big one that concern doctors and cause them to test) and not have H1N1 but some other underlying cause.  Really?

saskganesh

radio reports are that people are very frustrated about execution. long lineups emerging, not enough clinics, not enough support staff, not enough people to answer the phones. it goes on.
humans were created in their own image

crazy canuck

Quote from: saskganesh on October 29, 2009, 12:10:53 PM
radio reports are that people are very frustrated about execution. long lineups emerging, not enough clinics, not enough support staff, not enough people to answer the phones. it goes on.

Not surprising. Its not like the system is designed to take a sudden influx of work.

Barrister

Quote from: saskganesh on October 29, 2009, 12:10:53 PM

There were some very long line-ups here when I got the shot.  I don't know how you avoid it though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.