And we're back!

Main Menu

South Africa

Started by Lettow77, October 27, 2009, 07:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 28, 2009, 09:02:21 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 28, 2009, 08:43:18 AM
No, the Southern culture as a mass movement is extinct.  The American Southeast is just another outpost of the mass culture that emanates from New York and Los Angeles now.
While I agree with you on the first point, I feel obliged to point out that a large part of that mass culture is music, where Southern influence predominates.
I wouldn't say 'predominates', but it certainly is influential in the field of music.  However, at this point the music scene has been assimilated, and even country music has gone rock and roll.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 28, 2009, 02:08:00 AM
Such an attitude deserves reciprocation. I will not do so, however, because I see no reason to throw away what little good will I have by dint of being consistently deferential and polite for the sake of sinking to your level.

Edit: you know, I like to think nobody here would be so rude in person. It is amazing the boldness people get from the internet's comparative anonymity. Or maybe you all would, infact, and I am just spoiled from growing up in a polite and kind part of the world.

Lettow, you need to grow a thick skin.

You are not going to get anywhere in life with that attitud.

Somebody laugh at you, you laugh back at him.
Somebody punch you in the face, you blow his head off.

Grow stronger and stop whinning.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 28, 2009, 12:09:04 PM
This low level genocide against whites, especially against Boer farmers, will not occur without retaliation.  The Boers will lose, but the daily murder and rape of whites is getting ridiculous.  Even the ANC Youth League president Malema claims he will not only defeat the settlers, but the children and the children of the settlers, and President Zuma sings "bring me my machine gun"
Did anyone have any illusions that it would be any other way?  There is nobody who is going to lift a finger to help the Afrikaaners, and they themselves surrendered their defence to the very people who seek their destruction.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

Jeff Davis was a fuckhead that ran his country into the ground.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Siege

Quote from: Neil on October 28, 2009, 01:56:07 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 28, 2009, 12:09:04 PM
This low level genocide against whites, especially against Boer farmers, will not occur without retaliation.  The Boers will lose, but the daily murder and rape of whites is getting ridiculous.  Even the ANC Youth League president Malema claims he will not only defeat the settlers, but the children and the children of the settlers, and President Zuma sings "bring me my machine gun"
Did anyone have any illusions that it would be any other way?  There is nobody who is going to lift a finger to help the Afrikaaners, and they themselves surrendered their defence to the very people who seek their destruction.

I started several threads about the topic back in the day. Some of you might remember.
I don't care about South Africa anymore. The people I knew over there have moved to the UK or to Israel, and the Boers, well, I never really liked the Boers.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josephus

Quote from: Siege on October 28, 2009, 02:05:18 PM
I don't care about South Africa anymore. The people I knew over there have moved to the UK or to Israel,

Just the Jews though. Israel has a pretty restrictive immigration policy.

Actually a lot of South Africans moved to Canada as well. Nothing makes my poor heart melt more than a South African girl with that accent....
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lettow77

Grumbler, it does not follow that because you do not -feel- exploited, that you are not. The self-identity of the Southerner is among the lowest of all nationalities in the world, which makes things nigh-impossible.

Neil, you are largely right, as you always are. The South has suffered what are probably irreversible losses. Much of what the South was could not be remade, but much of it should not be. The South was not perfect. However, that which is admirable about the american republic to me, and still deserving in life, are aspects of the South, and I feel I have a calling to push for my country even if the outcome is pre-ordained against me.

As for the Afrikaners, I think they arent so doomed as y'all think. They may get something going in the western cape- that isnt just pie in the sky. There has been no mass movement yet, but it doesnt take much of one to get things off, and boers have trekked before. It defies reason that the afrikaners will just sit there and let themselves be wiped from the map, and their youth seem to be awakening.

I appreciate on their behalf your sympathy for them, though :)
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

grumbler

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 28, 2009, 02:28:52 PM
Grumbler, it does not follow that because you do not -feel- exploited, that you are not. The self-identity of the Southerner is among the lowest of all nationalities in the world, which makes things nigh-impossible. 
Actually, the nationality of the Southerner isn't lowest in the world, it is non-existent.  There were many things Southerners thought of themselves as over the years, but a nation wasn't one of them.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Where are they going to trek to?  I'm sure the ANC would love the excuse to exterminate them all though.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on October 28, 2009, 02:42:27 PM
Well they are Celts.
A Celtic underclass and a WASP aristocracy, which had nothing in common other than a fear of change.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on October 28, 2009, 02:41:04 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on October 28, 2009, 02:28:52 PM
Actually, the nationality of the Southerner isn't lowest in the world, it is non-existent.  There were many things Southerners thought of themselves as over the years, but a nation wasn't one of them.
Well, some did (and do), but that vast majority self-identify as 'American'.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on October 28, 2009, 01:52:41 PM
I wouldn't say 'predominates', but it certainly is influential in the field of music.  However, at this point the music scene has been assimilated, and even country music has gone rock and roll.

Rock & Roll was the chief genre I was thinking of, though country, jazz, and the blues also developed in the South.

Original Inductees in Rock & Roll Hall of Fame:
Buddy Holly
Chuck Berry
Elvis Presley
Fats Domino
James Brown
Jerry Lee Lewis
Little Richard
Ray Charles
Sam Cooke
The Everly Brothers

The Everly Brothers were from Iowa and Chuck Berry from St. Louis, the rest were all Southerners.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Shut up, Peter Lettow.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.