Did your opinion of Canada changed over the last 3 years?

Started by viper37, October 19, 2009, 02:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did your opinion of Canada changed over the last 3 years?

My opinion of Canada is lower than it was before
5 (10.4%)
My opinion of Canada is higher than it was before
14 (29.2%)
My opinion of Canada is the same as it ever was
29 (60.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

The Brain

Same as it ever was I suppose. I don't follow Canada.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Neil and BB didn't manage to ruin my opinion about Canada, so no, it hasn't changed. :P

Capetan Mihali

I've been to Montreal, Toronto twice, Waterloo/Kitchener, and Halifax (+ the ferry to Dartmouth) and enjoyed all of them greatly.   :)

I'm tentatively planning a trip up to Eastern Quebec and New Brunswick this winter/spring.  Ideally, I'd love to visit Newfoundland, but it seems prohibitively expensive/far away.   :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Caliga

I have been to: Niagara Falls (Canadian side), Toronto, Gananoque, and Montreal, though just through Dorval in the case of Montreal. 
Dorval = :mellow:
Lester Pearson = :ultra:

Overall Canada gets a :thumbsup:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Capetan Mihali

[Edited for redundancy]   :Embarrass:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Capetan Mihali

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 19, 2009, 03:38:18 PM
I ordered a chicken salad platter and the waitress asked if I wanted all white meat or "just whatever."  I of course picked the latter, and though it had some inch-sized pieces of bone and other weird chunks in it, it was actually delicious, and a huge portion for a very reasonable price.

That's the kind of recommendation that belongs on the menu

Alatriste

Same as it ever was. A dead seal is a tragedy, a million dead seals a year is a bloody - very bloody - statistic.  :P

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 19, 2009, 03:30:03 PM
I'm tentatively planning a trip up to Eastern Quebec and New Brunswick this winter/spring.  Ideally, I'd love to visit Newfoundland, but it seems prohibitively expensive/far away.   :(
Easiest way: take the plane.
Cheapest way: take the ferry from Norht-Sidney, Nova Scotia.

My father went to visit a few years ago, and he liked it.

It's one hell of a ride coming from the US though.  North-Sidney is like, on the extreme north of Nova Scotia.  From Halifax, I think it's a 8-9 hrs ride.  You figure the rest of the trip ;)

If I were you, I'd first visit New-Brunswick.  It's a relatively big province with lots of things to see, particularly on the Acadian peninsula (south east of NB).  This trip alone can take a week if you stop at various places.  Really, there's nothing in the center of province except wood and mooses, so it's all about the coast line, south and east of St-John. :)

Oh, and there's not much to see in eastern Quebec during winter.  There are wonderful ski resorts in/near Quebec city (Mont Ste-Anne, Stoneham, Massif du Sud), but further east, closer to where I live... not much but snow.  I think most of the museums are even closed for the winter.  So, really, not much to see.  Unless you want to do winter camping, ice-fishing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: viper37 on October 19, 2009, 03:49:15 PM
If I were you, I'd first visit New-Brunswick.  It's a relatively big province with lots of things to see, particularly on the Acadian peninsula (south east of NB).  This trip alone can take a week if you stop at various places.  Really, there's nothing in the center of province except wood and mooses, so it's all about the coast line, south and east of St-John. :)

Oh, and there's not much to see in eastern Quebec during winter.  There are wonderful ski resorts in/near Quebec city (Mont Ste-Anne, Stoneham, Massif du Sud), but further east, closer to where I live... not much but snow.  I think most of the museums are even closed for the winter.  So, really, not much to see.  Unless you want to do winter camping, ice-fishing.

Thanks, that seems more reasonable.   :)  I personally can't ski and have no interest in learning, or in any winter sports.  I was interested in seeing some of the great Canadian Shield landscape, but I guess winter's not the best time...

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on October 19, 2009, 03:32:04 PM
I have been to: Niagara Falls (Canadian side), Toronto, Gananoque, and Montreal, though just through Dorval in the case of Montreal. 
Dorval = :mellow:
Lester Pearson = :ultra:

Overall Canada gets a :thumbsup:

The best that can be said for Pearson is, "I've seen worse".  ;)

The Island airport is nice; I use it all the time when going to common business type destinations - it's two minutes from downtown, no huge crowds, etc. Take Porter if you can ... 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maximus

Canadian politics took an abrupt turn for the better immediately after I left. Go figure.