News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russia moves to "Nuke first, ask later" policy

Started by Syt, October 17, 2009, 08:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 02:43:42 PM
Funny how you guys kept making fun about Europe being all pussies sending strongly worded letters etc., and then elected a President to do just the same. :P

Don't look at me, I voted McKinney :yeah:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 02:43:42 PM
Quote from: Kleves on October 17, 2009, 01:55:20 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 17, 2009, 11:46:06 AM
What's the point of adopting rules that have zero chance of being acted upon, except to erode your credibility?
:yes:
Russia would never dare use its nuclear weapons, lest it provoke an overwhelming apology from Obama.
Funny how you guys kept making fun about Europe being all pussies sending strongly worded letters etc., and then elected a President to do just the same. :P

I never made fun of that.  Cite. :mad:

:unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

citizen k

QuoteBiden's task in eastern Europe: Reassurance
By F. Stephen Larrabee and Christopher Chivvis

Washington – Vice President Joseph Biden's trip to eastern Europe this week provides an important opportunity to reassure Poland, the Czech Republic, and Romania that the US is committed to their security.

This reassurance is needed, especially in the wake of the Obama administration's controversial decision to cancel the deployment of missile defense installations in Poland and the Czech Republic – Although President Obama's decision to scrap the Bush missile plan was the right one from a military and strategic point of view, the public rollout was less than ideal.

Polish and Czech leaders were informed of the decision only at the last second, making them feel like dispensable pawns in a broader US strategic game rather than the valued allies they have long been. This contributed to the misperception that the move was designed to placate Russia, and that eastern European interests would suffer as Washington attempted to reset relations with Moscow.

This perception is false. The decision was prompted by a shift in the nature of the Iranian threat. But it nevertheless damaged the US relationship with the region – a key relationship already in difficulty. Mr. Biden will therefore need to do more than just repair the damage done by the missile defense decision. He will also need to articulate a clear and coherent policy that explains where eastern Europe fits into broader US strategy toward Europe and Eurasia, and how the US commitment to security in central and eastern Europe will benefit, rather than suffer from, the resetting of US-Russian relations.

Public support in eastern Europe for the United States has plunged recently. According to a poll last month by the German Marshall Fund, the populations of Bulgaria, Poland, Romania, and Slovakia are much less enthusiastic about Mr. Obama and the US than are their western European counterparts. In the past, support for the US was much stronger in eastern Europe than in western Europe.

This unease has its roots in three closely related factors:

Russia's political and military resurgence. Having lived for long periods under Russian and Soviet domination, the central and eastern European countries are acutely sensitive to shifts in Russian power. They worry that Moscow's intimidation tactics and use of energy as a tool of foreign policy could result over time in a gradual erosion of their political independence.

Concerns about NATO's political will. Many eastern European members increasingly question whether NATO really would defend their security in a crisis. These fears have been reinforced by western Europe's reaction to the Russian invasion of Georgia in August 2008, which many regional observers interpreted as part of a broader tendency among European NATO members to accommodate Russia's bullying of its neighbors.

General uncertainty about the future directions of US policy toward Europe. The eastern Europeans' unease is driven not so much by fear of a "new Yalta" as by a sense of benign neglect. They know the Obama administration is not about to sell them down the river for a few winks and nods from Russian leaders Vladimir Putin and Dmitry Medvedev. But they worry that with the enlargement of NATO and the European Union accomplished, Washington has checked the eastern European "box" and moved on, assuming that the region will remain politically stable, economically prosperous, and pro-American in the future. To many eastern Europeans, this judgment seems at best premature.

In short, the vice president should go beyond mere damage control after the missile defense decision, and articulate a clear policy toward the region as a whole. This policy could be based on three basic tenets:

First, the US commitment to the security of Poland, Latvia, and Romania is and will remain as strong as the commitment to England, France, or Germany.
Second, an improvement of US-Russian relations will benefit all of Europe and will not be pursued at eastern European expense.
Third, the US firmly rejects the idea of spheres of influence, which remains a major goal of current Russian policy.

Announcing such a policy would not alleviate all the current unease in both central and eastern Europe. But it would significantly reduce it and give the current US policy toward the region renewed clarity and a sense of strategic purpose.

jimmy olsen

Rejects the idea of spheres of influnce?

Why not reject the idea that humans need air to breath while they're at it. After all, we're just balls of light.  :rolleyes:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

citizen k

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 21, 2009, 02:01:54 AM

Why not reject the idea that humans need air to breath while they're at it. After all, we're just balls of light.  :rolleyes:

So, you think the Russians should be able to do whatever the hell they feel like in the Caucasus?

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2009, 03:07:43 PM
It looked like a good way to go.  The actual doing something while everybody else sat on their hands and insulted us from the sidelines was getting tiresome.  This is more fun.

Define "good way to go" and "fun."

Also, I most certainly had nothing to do with electing Obama unlike some characters *cough*Berkut*cough* <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: citizen k on October 21, 2009, 02:08:17 AM

So, you think the Russians should be able to do whatever the hell they feel like in the Caucasus?

Yes.  A lot of those people are Muslims, and most of them aren't Westernized.

I don't care much about the Baltics or Ukraine either.  The civilization worth defending sort of begins in Poland.  You know, just west of wherever Martinus lives.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on October 21, 2009, 11:20:17 AM
Agreed, and they're far too narrow-minded to get Westernized any time soon.

Neil

Why should they be slaves to the Russians, rather than slaves of civilized people?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on October 21, 2009, 01:54:34 PM
Why should they be slaves to the Russians, rather than slaves of civilized people?
Because US can't invade every single Muslim country, not when the Democrats are in power.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

I think, perhaps, this is the most cynical thing Timmay has ever posted.

Hobbes would be proud.

Darth Wagtaros

Languish should move to a Nuke First, Blame Jaron later policy.
PDH!

Valmy

So you think we should just surrender to the Russians and give them everything they want...because to not do so would be foolishly idealistic?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

No, we should just work on making our sphere as massive as possible and work to make sure Russia's is a tiny as possible.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point