Russia moves to "Nuke first, ask later" policy

Started by Syt, October 17, 2009, 08:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireblade

Sahib

Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Kleves

Quote from: DGuller on October 17, 2009, 11:46:06 AM
What's the point of adopting rules that have zero chance of being acted upon, except to erode your credibility?
:yes:
Russia would never dare use its nuclear weapons, lest it provoke an overwhelming apology from Obama.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Brain

:huh: Obama is keeping a finger on the Button night and day.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

What's the point of adopting rules that have zero chance of being acted upon, except to erode your credibility?
They have nuclear credibility to erode?  :blink:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

They could probably still fuck up China, probably not to the point that a countervalue response would not be devastating, however.

At any rate, tactical use of nuclear weapons is nothing to get too worked up about, even if they were serious, which they're not.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on October 17, 2009, 03:39:58 PM
At any rate, tactical use of nuclear weapons is nothing to get too worked up about

Exactly.  But while we possess FAEs of greater yield, they don't have the political stigma attached to them.

Agelastus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 17, 2009, 06:39:18 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 17, 2009, 03:39:58 PM
At any rate, tactical use of nuclear weapons is nothing to get too worked up about

Exactly.  But while we possess FAEs of greater yield, they don't have the political stigma attached to them.

And if I recall correctly, have not the Russians stated that they can and have made a larger and more destructive bomb of this type than the USA? I don't see why they would need to risk the opprobrium attached to the use of nuclear weapons given they have this capability.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

C.C.R.

Maybe I'm naive, but my reading between the lines of this led to me believing that the Russians would be more likely to point these things South rather than West...

DontSayBanana

Quote from: C.C.R. on October 17, 2009, 06:55:20 PM
Maybe I'm naive, but my reading between the lines of this led to me believing that the Russians would be more likely to point these things South rather than West...

:yes: I asked if they were trying to start another cold war; I didn't say with whom.  NK and Iran are developing nukes (I don't care how innocent they say they're being with it- I believe the temptation to build that powerful a weapon as a symbolic gesture is just too great for a government to pass up), and as long as Pakistan can't keep Al Qaeda and the Taliban under control, there's a possibility those nukes could end up in play as well.

Concerned?  Hell yes, but not for the immediate strategic threat to the US; concerned we'll have another "chain reaction" ala World War 2, where those countries all start bringing their buddies in to do the fighting.
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

Their secret mineshaft auto-pilot nuke doomsday device was leaked to the public, so they had to do something.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 17, 2009, 09:22:55 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on October 17, 2009, 09:18:01 AM
Didn't the US decide a few years back we'd consider using nukes for some hard tagetS?

We decided prior to Gulf War 1 that any use of non-conventional weapons (chemical, biological) of mass destruction would warrant a nuclear response.
But yes, there was talk that, in the event it was required, tactical nuclear weapons could be used on hard targets if the yield would be more effective than conventional warheads.
Yes. That was being talked about only a few years ago during stuff like Anaconder or Saddam hunting.  Cracking open those caves was thought to be easier with some tactical nukes.
PDH!

Martinus

Quote from: Kleves on October 17, 2009, 01:55:20 PM
Russia would never dare use its nuclear weapons, lest it provoke an overwhelming apology from Obama.
Funny how you guys kept making fun about Europe being all pussies sending strongly worded letters etc., and then elected a President to do just the same. :P

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 02:43:42 PM
Quote from: Kleves on October 17, 2009, 01:55:20 PM
Funny how you guys kept making fun about Europe being all pussies sending strongly worded letters etc., and then elected a President to do just the same. :P

NOT FUNNY AT ALL. :ultra:
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2009, 02:43:42 PM

It looked like a good way to go.  The actual doing something while everybody else sat on their hands and insulted us from the sidelines was getting tiresome.  This is more fun.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."