Louisiana judge denies marriage license to interracial couple

Started by citizen k, October 15, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Faeelin on October 16, 2009, 12:26:55 PM
I'm not overly comfortable with using Leviticus as your source, since it's superseded by the New Testament and also requires us to abandon shrimp and mixed fiber clothing.  You're better checking in with Romans and Corinthians.

OT is superseded in the sense of temple practices, removal of dietary laws, and removal of violent enforcement of religious laws; most of what's a sin in the OT is still a sin in the NT; you just get the option of praying for forgiveness instead of having big fucking rocks thrown at you.

However, in the interest of showing that homosexuality is still verbot:

"Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."(1 Cor. 6:9-10)

"For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper." (Rom. 1:26-28)

BTW, those two passages condemn lesbianism as well.  As an atheist, I think they're bullshit, but I'm just making you aware of them.
Experience bij!

Martinus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 16, 2009, 12:24:34 PM
"You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination" (Lev. 18:22)

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Lev 20:13)

Where does it say anything about marriage?  :huh:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2009, 12:33:43 PM

Biblical marriage has to be consummated with sex.  If you can't consummate the marriage, there is no marriage.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

Back on topic, the site I linked earlier has this to say about interracial marriage-

Question: "What does the Bible say about interracial marriage?"

Answer: The Old Testament Law commanded the Israelites not to engage in interracial marriage (Deuteronomy 7:3-4). However, the reason for this was not primarily racial in nature. Rather, it was religious. The reason God commanded against interracial marriage was that people of other races were idolaters and worshippers of false gods. The Israelites would be led astray from God if they intermarried with idol worshippers, pagans, or heathens. A similar principle is laid out in the New Testament, but at a much different level: "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?" (2 Corinthians 6:14). Just as the Israelites (believers in the one true God) were commanded not to marry idolaters, so Christians (believers in the one true God) are commanded not to marry unbelievers. To answer this question specifically, no, the Bible does not say that interracial marriage is wrong.

As Martin Luther King noted, a person should be judged by his or her character, not by skin color. There is no place in the life of the Christian for favoritism based on race (James 2:1-10). When selecting a mate, a Christian should always first find out if the potential spouse is born again by faith in Jesus Christ (John 3:3-5). Faith in Christ, not skin color, is the biblical standard for choosing a spouse. Interracial marriage is not a matter of right or wrong, but of wisdom, discernment, and prayer.

The only reason interracial marriage should be considered carefully is the difficulties a mixed-race couple may experience because of others who have a hard time accepting them. Many interracial couples experience discrimination and ridicule, sometimes even from their own families. Some interracial couples experience difficulties when their children have skin tones of different shades from the parents and/or siblings. An interracial couple needs to take these things into consideration and be prepared for them, should they decide to marry. Again, though, the only biblical restriction placed on whom a Christian may marry is whether the other person is a member of the body of Christ.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Faeelin

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 16, 2009, 12:33:12 PM

"Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."(1 Cor. 6:9-10)

BTW, those two passages condemn lesbianism as well.  As an atheist, I think they're bullshit, but I'm just making you aware of them.

I am aware of them; hence I referred to Corinthians as the better source.

Though I'm more inclined to support the idea that the word homosexual doesn't make sense in the context of Paul's Letter to the Corinthians, given the city's status as a center of ritual prositution and sexual mores at the time. Not to say he'd have approved of it, but it's not quite so simple.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on October 16, 2009, 12:30:47 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 16, 2009, 12:24:49 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2009, 12:21:21 PM
Show me the line in the Bible that says precisely that marriage is between a man and a woman.
I can't personally tell you if there is such a quote, but even if there is not, the Bible seems to strongly imply that sodomy is an abomination (re: Sodom and Gomorrah), so if you assume that sodomy = gay sex then God seems to enjoy killing sodomites.  I suppose a Christian would therefore conclude people should not enter into same-sex sexual relationships (or at least male-male relationships), and by extension marriages, since one assumes most married people enjoy sexual relations with one another.

Oddly, it would appear that only specifically gay male anal sex is an "abomination". Martinus is in the clear, Bible-wise.  :D

Not only that, but male-to-male foot fetish has a Biblical precedent. :P

In the catholic church, they actually go as far as to include foot kissing during the Maundy Thursday foot washing ritual.

Just saying. :goodboy:

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2009, 12:31:28 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 16, 2009, 12:24:49 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2009, 12:21:21 PM
Show me the line in the Bible that says precisely that marriage is between a man and a woman.
I can't personally tell you if there is such a quote, but even if there is not, the Bible seems to strongly imply that sodomy is an abomination (re: Sodom and Gomorrah), so if you assume that sodomy = gay sex then God seems to enjoy killing sodomites.  I suppose a Christian would therefore conclude people should not enter into same-sex sexual relationships (or at least male-male relationships), and by extension marriages, since one assumes most married people enjoy sexual relations with one another.

Actually, Sodom and Gomorrah is about sodomites who also happen to want to rape sacred guests/angels of God, but settle for virgin girls (some sodomites they are!) (who, incidentally, then go on and get their father drunk, and have children with him).

So there could be an element there that is not simply reduced to "fucking other guys". ;)

Yeah tyhe sin of Sodom was "raping strangers" - though that was really just an *example* of their overall depravity, which presumably expressed itself in lots of other ways -- the notion was that these dudes were so evil, they would even rape people accepted as guests (harming guests is the ultimate taboo in ME society, worse than almost any other crime - which is why Lot takes the to-us horrible step of offering his daughters in their place - showing what a righteous fellow he was: daughters were a particularly valuable species of property in that culture, so the message was "I'm willing to have my most valuable property damaged, rather than break the custom of hospitality").
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Faeelin

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2009, 12:36:39 PM
Back on topic, the site I linked earlier has this to say about interracial marriage-

I am not overly impressed with this. Of course people don't think the Bible opposes interracial marriage now. But if you go back to the 1950s and 1960s, people did believe the Bible opposed interracial marriage; a gallup poll from 1962 showed that 1/3 of southerners believed the Bible indicated God wanted the races to remain seperate, frex.

ulmont

Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2009, 12:14:34 PM
Show me the part in the Bible where it says marriage is between a man and a woman.

Quote from: 1 Corinthians 7:2
"Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband."

Grallon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 16, 2009, 12:33:12 PM

... the men ... burned in their desire toward one another..." (Rom. 1:26-28)

*sigh*  Such a burning is worth any label of depravity :wub:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on October 16, 2009, 12:31:03 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 16, 2009, 12:24:34 PM
"You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination" (Lev. 18:22)

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Lev 20:13)

"You shall instead marry a woman and continue to lie with you male associates while pretending you're not"

A behavior one can observe to this day.  In fact I had a stint with a arab once - under the watchful eyes of the picture of his bride to be.

Hmmm I wonder if arabs would be so hot in bed if they weren't so repressed sexually?

G.

It's not just Arabs. I have had sex with married Polish men as well. Poland is funnily like a Catholic Saudi Arabia. :P

Martinus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 16, 2009, 12:34:57 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2009, 12:33:43 PM

Biblical marriage has to be consummated with sex.  If you can't consummate the marriage, there is no marriage.

What if you give each others blowjobs and handjobs? Bible doesn't ban THAT. :P

Faeelin

Anyway, this discussion does make me amused about how quickly Baptists and Presbyterians have forgotten their own role in promoting marriage equality in America's disestablishment movement during and after the Revolution.

Martinus

In fact I would like to see a comprehensive and detailed analysis saying to what degree God disapproves, of, say, frottage, dick docking or tea bagging.

Faeelin

Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2009, 12:44:32 PM
In fact I would like to see a comprehensive and detailed analysis saying to what degree God disapproves, of, say, frottage, dick docking or tea bagging.

Not a fan, TBH.