Louisiana judge denies marriage license to interracial couple

Started by citizen k, October 15, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Faeelin on October 16, 2009, 09:14:09 AM
I am curious, though. What if your religion did see interracial marriage as sinful?

I'm thinking of that University which banned interracial dating until fairly recently on religious grounds, and was denied federal funding as a consequence.

Religious freedom is guaranteed only so far as it doesn't interfere with other rights granted, and is by no means universal: see restrictions on animal sacrifices.
Experience bij!

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2009, 09:06:21 AM
Quote from: ulmont on October 16, 2009, 08:58:13 AM
Yes, plus assuming voting gays answer exit polls in the same proportion as the voting population.  I tend to think they are underrepresented in the voting population (supported by Meri's 5% stat), but YMMV.
You think gays vote less frequently than straights?  Gays are more educated, which correlates with voting, and more politicized, which correlates with voting.

Out gays are generally younger than the general population, which correlates negatively with voting and more cynical, which correlates negatively with voting.  And then there's the impact of the clubbing lifestyle.

Faeelin

Quote from: ulmont on October 16, 2009, 09:50:22 AM
Yes, plus assuming voting gays answer exit polls in the same proportion as the voting population.  I tend to think they are underrepresented in the voting population (supported by Meri's 5% stat), but YMMV.
You think gays vote less frequently than straights?  Gays are more educated, which correlates with voting, and more politicized, which correlates with voting.

Out gays are generally younger than the general population, which correlates negatively with voting and more cynical, which correlates negatively with voting.  And then there's the impact of the clubbing lifestyle.

Which is?

ulmont

Quote from: Faeelin on October 16, 2009, 10:06:28 AM
Quote from: ulmont on October 16, 2009, 09:50:22 AM

Which is?

Negative towards voting.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Scipio on October 16, 2009, 08:48:52 AM
This is a license, though, not performing a marriage.  Of course, this is Napoleonic Code (LA TM) so YMMV.  Fucking Napoleon.

Regardless of the content of state law, a state official can't act in violation of the federal constitution.  Hurray for the 14th Amendment.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Scipio

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 16, 2009, 10:18:17 AM
Quote from: Scipio on October 16, 2009, 08:48:52 AM
This is a license, though, not performing a marriage.  Of course, this is Napoleonic Code (LA TM) so YMMV.  Fucking Napoleon.

Regardless of the content of state law, a state official can't act in violation of the federal constitution.  Hurray for the 14th Amendment.

Yes, I know.  My point is, that he is not obligated to perform marriages; however, he cannot deny them a marriage license.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DontSayBanana

Sounds like a lot of us are arguing the same side; it's possible his office has enough authority to withhold service on an assumption made in good faith, but his rationale is certainly not one; even if you accept his concern to be about child welfare rather than race (which it's not, since his assumption is based on the ethnicity of the possible offspring), a quick glance at the breakdown of Louisiana courts shows that that's outside his purview.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: Faeelin on October 16, 2009, 07:56:13 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2009, 10:08:08 PM
It's not that you're not allowed to discriminate: you are.  But you can not discriminate based on illegal grounds.

In this instance: you can discriminate because you don't do weddings, or you don't work weekends, or only if you get paid a certain amount.  But discrimination based on certain criteria, like race, would be prohibited.

What if you're religion opposed interacial marriages?

Are there any credible religions that oppose interacial marriages?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on October 16, 2009, 11:01:49 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on October 16, 2009, 07:56:13 AM
What if you're religion opposed interacial marriages?

Besides one has bigger issues to think about if one is a religion.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Bob Jones University, which is I think Baptist affiliated, until recently didn't permit interracial dating.

Mormons until a few decades back didn't ordain blacks, which is kind of related.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2009, 11:16:12 AM
Bob Jones University, which is I think Baptist affiliated, until recently didn't permit interracial dating.

Mormons until a few decades back didn't ordain blacks, which is kind of related.

I had the mormons in mind when I wrote that, knowing they'd changed that policy 30 years ago.

Are there any credible religions left that don't permit mixed-dating?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on October 16, 2009, 11:17:38 AM
Are there any credible religions left that don't permit mixed-dating?
Pretty sure there aren't any that would revoke church membership over it.

Jaron

The Mormon church frowns upon it. Remember that only 30 years ago blacks weren't allowed in heaven by their rules.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Open, out-of-closet vocal gays are more educated because their educated non-homosexual peers are usually more open-minded, tolerant and accepting.

However, this certainly does not mean gays are more educated than the general populace.

In fact, I would say that considering difficulties gay kids face (social ostracism, family rejection, lack of access to religious education, tendency towards depression as a result of the above, tendency towards drugs due to some negative aspects of gay clubbing culture, lack of inter-generational support, until recently lack of positive adult role models etc.), gay kids are more likely to drop out of high school or college than heterosexual kids of the otherwise similar social background. In a way it's like being a black ghetto kid but it cuts across the entire social spectrum and is often excerbated by negative messages from the family, the churches and the government.

Such people rarely vote. They are disfranchised, usually end up being part of some social outcast group (sex workers for example).

This is especially pronounced among non-white populations, where stigma against being gay is extremely strong. In fact it has been suggested that the higher rates of HIV among heterosexual black women is partially due do the fact that many homosexual black men actually take wives because of social ostracism, and their male-to-male sexual encounters are done in risky environments (for example without proper protection), partially due to internalised homophobia.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on October 15, 2009, 10:34:59 PM
There is nothing admirable about this, retard. He IS obstructing somebody, the article made that clear enough. Yes, people are entitled to their own opinions about race. If it bothers you so much, don't date or marry outside your own. You can absolutely NOT prevent others from doing so based on YOUR convictions. The fact I'm even having to argue this with you guys is really disgusting.

Lettow and _____?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?