Louisiana judge denies marriage license to interracial couple

Started by citizen k, October 15, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 15, 2009, 10:18:02 PM
It is Alfred Kinsey who came up with the 10% by conducting a "study" which consisted of interviewing his friends.  The only thing he proved was that he had a lot of gay friends.  The 10% is thrown around by the gay lobby a lot because they of course want to inflate their importance.

From surveys I've seen the percentage is 2-4%, depending on how you ask the question (about 2% outright admit in being gay, while another 2% claim to be bisexual or having "experimented" wirh gay sex).

According this this report, an estimate of 5% is closest:

http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/1000491_gl_partner_households.pdf

And there are quite a few other studies that range from 4% to 13% based on a quick check on Google. (Based on numbers alone on the 2000 Census, the number would be 4%, though, as you said, the way the question was worded was fairly confusing.)

And I did say roughly.  :mad:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

sbr

When I read the thread title I was OUTRAGEDTM.  After the first sentence I was all fired up and ready to call him out as a bigot and racist and DEMAND EQUALITY.

Then I finished the article and saw that he had refused to sign marriage licenses before, and the couple was married by another JoP, in the same parish, for the same price, and very likely on the same weekend they had intended in the first place.  While I am not arguing the law, this just seems much ado about nothing.

I am white, grew up in the suburbs, and was raised in a very upper middle-class home.  I am about the least oppressed person you will ever meet, I also despise racists and bigots of any sort.  To me this seems like one of those occasional instances of "racial injustice" that is going to be blown up into more than it really deserves; every time the race card is played out of turn it devalues it the next time a legitimate injustice happens.

garbon

Quote from: Slargos on October 15, 2009, 08:23:56 PM
Regardless, that someone should follow their moral conviction instead of pandering to vociferous whining is an outrage.  :mad:

Moral conviction? How can you have a moral conviction that Americans of different "races" shouldn't intermingle when we've been intermingling since the beginning?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2009, 09:17:09 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2009, 08:42:27 PM
This is obviously bullshit as gays can't marry. Stupid comment to make by the ACLU.
FWIW the ACLU (to which I donate  :cool: ) is a strong supporter of gay marriage equality and of gay rights in general.

Tell them to stop ignoring the 2nd Amendment at your next meeting :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

This is in fact not "NOTHING".

Because I can walk across the street and buy groceries in another store doesn't justify the first to put up a "No niggers" sign.

He needs to lose his position and be made an example of. There is no need to destroy the man personally but there is no room in America for racist filth like this to be in positions of power with authority over other peoples lives.

Lettow77

The man stood on his principles. He is obstructing nobody; I find it admirable.

But then, I would. I dont automatically assume someone having opinions on race other than radical egalitarianism makes them a monster.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

garbon

Quote from: sbr on October 15, 2009, 10:28:39 PM
When I read the thread title I was OUTRAGEDTM.  After the first sentence I was all fired up and ready to call him out as a bigot and racist and DEMAND EQUALITY.

Then I finished the article and saw that he had refused to sign marriage licenses before, and the couple was married by another JoP, in the same parish, for the same price, and very likely on the same weekend they had intended in the first place.  While I am not arguing the law, this just seems much ado about nothing.

I am white, grew up in the suburbs, and was raised in a very upper middle-class home.  I am about the least oppressed person you will ever meet, I also despise racists and bigots of any sort.  To me this seems like one of those occasional instances of "racial injustice" that is going to be blown up into more than it really deserves; every time the race card is played out of turn it devalues it the next time a legitimate injustice happens.
That is totally true, since he has done it many times = NOT A PROBLEM!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: dumbfuckBut then, I would. I dont automatically assume someone having opinions on race other than radical egalitarianism makes them a monster.

I think of them like the religious, its cute that they have such wild imaginations. :)

Jaron

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 15, 2009, 10:32:52 PM
The man stood on his principles. He is obstructing nobody; I find it admirable.

But then, I would. I dont automatically assume someone having opinions on race other than radical egalitarianism makes them a monster.

There is nothing admirable about this, retard. He IS obstructing somebody, the article made that clear enough. Yes, people are entitled to their own opinions about race. If it bothers you so much, don't date or marry outside your own. You can absolutely NOT prevent others from doing so based on YOUR convictions. The fact I'm even having to argue this with you guys is really disgusting.

PDH

That's it. It is time to blow up Louisiana. Then California.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jaron

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2009, 10:31:57 PM
Tell them to stop ignoring the 2nd Amendment at your next meeting :angry:
This is the only item on their platform that angers me.  I'm not a fan of their affirmative action stance but it doesn't bother me as much.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

Quote from: Jaron on October 15, 2009, 10:32:05 PM
This is in fact not "NOTHING".

Because I can walk across the street and buy groceries in another store doesn't justify the first to put up a "No niggers" sign.

He needs to lose his position and be made an example of. There is no need to destroy the man personally but there is no room in America for racist filth like this to be in positions of power with authority over other peoples lives.

I agree with this :yes:

grumbler

Interesting that the judge would make this argument in the year that the first "mixed-race" President was inaugurated. 

Obama needs to have Bardwell, Humphrey, and McKay come to the White House for a beer.  That should get him the NPP for next year as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!