Louisiana judge denies marriage license to interracial couple

Started by citizen k, October 15, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

QuoteHowever, this certainly does not mean gays are more educated than the general populace.

In fact, I would say that considering difficulties gay kids face (social ostracism, family rejection, lack of access to religious education, tendency towards depression as a result of the above, tendency towards drugs due to some negative aspects of gay clubbing culture, lack of inter-generational support, until recently lack of positive adult role models etc.), gay kids are more likely to drop out of high school or college than heterosexual kids of the otherwise similar social background. In a way it's like being a black ghetto kid but it cuts across the entire social spectrum and is often excerbated by negative messages from the family, the churches and the government.
I dunno, I would very much tend towards the side that gays are more educated on average.
If you're different and ostrasized from your peers then you will try harder at school. There's no temptations of playing football all night and trying to get a girl. Just school and hope things are better in the future.
Also I'd guess it depends how you're defining gay. Those from less good backgrounds who are actually gay I'd say would be more likely to see it as there being something wrong with them and gay being bad and all that and so force themselves into living straight.

Quote from: Faeelin on October 16, 2009, 09:13:52 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 16, 2009, 08:57:04 AM
That marriage is a man and a woman is a fundamental law.
That mixing the races is bad is hidden in some retarded part of the bible if it exists (probally does...i'm sure I remember some weird quote)

Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix.

Checking up with google I can't find anything against it in the bible actually. The only bits are about Jews not marrying foreigners and that's due to religious reasons.
Though I would assume some religious nutters making that argument.

If God didn't want us to mix he wouldn't make black people's naught bits work well with white people's. :p
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on October 16, 2009, 12:12:31 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on October 16, 2009, 09:13:52 AM
That mixing the races is bad is hidden in some retarded part of the bible if it exists (probally does...i'm sure I remember some weird quote)

Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix.

Checking up with google I can't find anything against it in the bible actually. The only bits are about Jews not marrying foreigners and that's due to religious reasons.

If God didn't want us to mix he wouldn't make black people's naught bits work well with white people's. :p

Show me the part in the Bible where it says marriage is between a man and a woman.

Faeelin

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry, it's from the trial court in Loving v. Virginia.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

I don't want to go to some external site. Post the fucking quote that says it. I don't want an elaborate interpretation of cryptic verses - because the same could be made to justify a ban of interracial marriage.

Show me the line in the Bible that says precisely that marriage is between a man and a woman.

DontSayBanana

"You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination" (Lev. 18:22)

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Lev 20:13)
Experience bij!

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2009, 12:21:21 PM
Show me the line in the Bible that says precisely that marriage is between a man and a woman.
I can't personally tell you if there is such a quote, but even if there is not, the Bible seems to strongly imply that sodomy is an abomination (re: Sodom and Gomorrah), so if you assume that sodomy = gay sex then God seems to enjoy killing sodomites.  I suppose a Christian would therefore conclude people should not enter into same-sex sexual relationships (or at least male-male relationships), and by extension marriages, since one assumes most married people enjoy sexual relations with one another.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Faeelin

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 16, 2009, 12:24:34 PM
"You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination" (Lev. 18:22)

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Lev 20:13)

I'm not overly comfortable with using Leviticus as your source, since it's superseded by the New Testament and also requires us to abandon shrimp and mixed fiber clothing.  You're better checking in with Romans and Corinthians.

Malthus

Heh, as I've noted before, the funny part is that lesbian sex/marriage appears Biblically okay. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Faeelin

Quote from: Malthus on October 16, 2009, 12:29:18 PM
Heh, as I've noted before, the funny part is that lesbian sex/marriage appears Biblically okay.

There are some Orthodox rabbis who agree with this, actually.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on October 16, 2009, 12:24:49 PM
I can't personally tell you if there is such a quote, but even if there is not, the Bible seems to strongly imply that sodomy is an abomination (re: Sodom and Gomorrah), so if you assume that sodomy = gay sex then God seems to enjoy killing sodomites.  I suppose a Christian would therefore conclude people should not enter into same-sex sexual relationships (or at least male-male relationships), and by extension marriages, since one assumes most married people enjoy sexual relations with one another.

Oddly, it would appear that only specifically gay male anal sex is an "abomination". Martinus is in the clear, Bible-wise.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grallon

"You shall instead marry a woman and continue to lie with you male associates while pretending you're not"

A behavior one can observe to this day.  In fact I had a stint with a arab once - under the watchful eyes of the picture of his bride to be.

Hmmm I wonder if arabs would be so hot in bed if they weren't so repressed sexually?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on October 16, 2009, 12:24:49 PM

Actually, Sodom and Gomorrah is about sodomites who also happen to want to rape sacred guests/angels of God, but settle for virgin girls (some sodomites they are!) (who, incidentally, then go on and get their father drunk, and have children with him).

So there could be an element there that is not simply reduced to "fucking other guys". ;)

After all, the God also seems to have a personal vendetta against Canaanites and Philistines - but noone suggests that it is against the Bible to marry a Canaanite or a Philistine (even though marrying a Philistine could be horrible if one has a taste for finer arts, I suppose).

The pronunciations against sodomy in Leviticus really talk about "lying with another man like you lie with a woman", so it could be just a condemnation of a specific type of sex, rather than any male-to-male sexual relationships. And again, the penalty for that is the same as for mixing fabrics or eating shellfish - I don't see anyone arguing that shrimp cocktails are out of question at Christian weddings, or that a bride wearing a silk-and-velvet gown should be stoned to death on the steps of the holy church.

And St. Paul had a thing mainly against effeminate men - but also against various other groups, including drunks, gamblers, and female teachers. I guess that rules out Vegas weddings, among others, too.

Malthus

Quote from: Faeelin on October 16, 2009, 12:29:45 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 16, 2009, 12:29:18 PM

There are some Orthodox rabbis who agree with this, actually.

I know - bless their literalist hearts.  ;)

Gay female sex is the (much lesser) category of "lewd behavior" exactly *because*, until recently at least, women can't marry each other. It's in the same category as unmarried men & women having sex.

Faeelin

Quote from: Grallon on October 16, 2009, 12:31:03 PM
"You shall instead marry a woman and continue to lie with you male associates while pretending you're not"

You could also be celibate. It's a tough burden, sure, but compared to people walking around with cystic fibrosis as their burden from God it's not an insurmountable one.