Started by citizen k, October 15, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

sbr

Seems a non story to me.  He refuses to marry any mixed race couples and there are other Justices of the Peace in the parish who can do the same job, at very likely the same price. :shrug:

merithyn

Quote from: sbr on October 15, 2009, 09:50:43 PM
Seems a non story to me.  He refuses to marry any mixed race couples and there are other Justices of the Peace in the parish who can do the same job, at very likely the same price. :shrug:

Except that he's not allowed to do that. :contract:

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2009, 09:43:41 PM
Then they should certainly know that that comment is ignorant, and an affront to 10% of our population, plus those who support them. Meh... not worth derailing the thread over, but still stupid.
10% of the population isn't gay.  You are an enemy of order.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2009, 09:56:57 PM

Except that he's not allowed to do that. :contract:

I must have missed that in the article, I will go back and re-read it.  Since he mentioned that he has done this previously, and there are other JoP in the parish who can sign the license I assumed it was legal.

Neil

Meri's opinion is not to be trusted.  She's not an expert, and she's an enemy of order.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2009, 09:43:41 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 15, 2009, 09:17:09 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2009, 08:42:27 PM
This is obviously bullshit as gays can't marry. Stupid comment to make by the ACLU.
FWIW the ACLU (to which I donate  :cool: ) is a strong supporter of gay marriage equality and of gay rights in general.

Then they should certainly know that that comment is ignorant, and an affront to 10% of our population, plus those who support them. Meh... not worth derailing the thread over, but still stupid.

10% :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

My understanding is that priests, judges, JoP have the legal authority to marry people, but no one is required to actually do it, it is like a side job.  I was married by a judge, the first one I called didn't perform any marriages.  I called another and I was 5 year from a divorce.

Barrister

Quote from: sbr on October 15, 2009, 10:05:44 PM
My understanding is that priests, judges, JoP have the legal authority to marry people, but no one is required to actually do it, it is like a side job.  I was married by a judge, the first one I called didn't perform any marriages.

It's not that you're not allowed to discriminate: you are.  But you can not discriminate based on illegal grounds.

In this instance: you can discriminate because you don't do weddings, or you don't work weekends, or only if you get paid a certain amount.  But discrimination based on certain criteria, like race, would be prohibited.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

The reason it's news is that it's shocking to many people that someone in a position of authority like that would choose to deny a license on those grounds.  It's 2009, not 1949.  Whether or not he *can* choose to deny a license on those grounds is immaterial to the value of the incident as a news story.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

There's no legitimate statistics that say what percentage is gay versus straight, so I went with the number I hear most often thrown around. Plus, I like nice even numbers and 10% is that. :)

Hansmeister

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2009, 10:12:40 PM
There's no legitimate statistics that say what percentage is gay versus straight, so I went with the number I hear most often thrown around. Plus, I like nice even numbers and 10% is that. :)

It is Alfred Kinsey who came up with the 10% by conducting a "study" which consisted of interviewing his friends.  The only thing he proved was that he had a lot of gay friends.  The 10% is thrown around by the gay lobby a lot because they of course want to inflate their importance.

From surveys I've seen the percentage is 2-4%, depending on how you ask the question (about 2% outright admit in being gay, while another 2% claim to be bisexual or having "experimented" wirh gay sex).

DontSayBanana

Quote from: sbr on October 15, 2009, 10:00:45 PM
I must have missed that in the article, I will go back and re-read it.  Since he mentioned that he has done this previously, and there are other JoP in the parish who can sign the license I assumed it was legal.

You could make a racial discrimination case because he opened his big fat mouth; he admitted he made it a policy to render inequal service with racial considerations.  That was outlawed in Loving v. Virginia.

As to the gay marriage question, I think Loving v. Virginia should be cited- if the state can't legislate the races party to a marriage, then it shouldn't be able to legislate the genders party to a marriage.
Experience bij!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.