News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your country's greatest achievment

Started by Viking, October 13, 2009, 06:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: dps on October 13, 2009, 02:43:26 PM
I think that they basically just starved out.  The question of when the Norse settlement finally ended in Greenland is an interesting one as well.  Seems like anytime between 1450 and 1690 is possible, with something like 1500-1550 being most likely.
:huh: I thought the Danish crown started searching for the Norse as soon as like 1525 and found only ruins?

Anyway, if there was a final famine that wiped them out, you'd think there would have been more late-period remains found than actually were unearthed.  The suggestion is that they abandoned the settlements rather than died there, but it's unclear why and if they did so voluntarily.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

I think that they basically just starved out.  The question of when the Norse settlement finally ended in Greenland is an interesting one as well.  Seems like anytime between 1450 and 1690 is possible, with something like 1500-1550 being most likely.

The last recorded date in greenland is 1408 (a marriage record). The last recorded ship is in 1410. The Norse society there is thought to have ended between 1450 and 1480.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2009, 02:45:53 PM
OTOH there are still stories of a pale and blond master race of Eskimos living in very high latitudes.
There actually have been pale, blonde Eskimos with blue eyes, but genetic testing done over the last decade or so seemed to prove they did not have Scandinavian ancestry.  I forget where exactly they lived but there was at least one tribe/clan/whatever of them somewhere in the Canadian High Arctic.

dps

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 02:48:40 PM
:huh: I thought the Danish crown started searching for the Norse as soon as like 1525 and found only ruins?

Anyway, if there was a final famine that wiped them out, you'd think there would have been more late-period remains found than actually were unearthed.  The suggestion is that they abandoned the settlements rather than died there, but it's unclear why and if they did so voluntarily.

I don't think that there was a "final famine" per se, just gradually deteriorating conditions.  There weren't that many of them to start with.  With a really low population, you don't need a catastrophic event for a settlement to die out.  And while it wouldn't surprise me if some of them went to Iceland or back to Europe, towards the end, I don't think they had the means to leave if they had wanted to.

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 02:50:04 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2009, 02:45:53 PM
OTOH there are still stories of a pale and blond master race of Eskimos living in very high latitudes.
There actually have been pale, blonde Eskimos with blue eyes, but genetic testing done over the last decade or so seemed to prove they did not have Scandinavian ancestry.  I forget where exactly they lived but there was at least one tribe/clan/whatever of them somewhere in the Canadian High Arctic.

Genetics? You should listen to their bodies.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: dps on October 13, 2009, 03:10:39 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 02:48:40 PM

I don't think that there was a "final famine" per se, just gradually deteriorating conditions.  There weren't that many of them to start with.  With a really low population, you don't need a catastrophic event for a settlement to die out.  And while it wouldn't surprise me if some of them went to Iceland or back to Europe, towards the end, I don't think they had the means to leave if they had wanted to.

Archeology has show that there is a progressive change in midden heap composition from cow in the early 1400s to goats and sheep 20 years later and seals and whales after 1450. Not to mention the last recorded ship in 1410.

The marginal farmland experienced the change first and was abandoned first, the best land did it last. It seems to have been a slow decline from about 1000 people to 0 in about 100 years.

No or very little fish.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

dps

Viking, you seem to know more about this than Cal or I.  I do remember reading about the Danish government sending out an expedition around 1525 to check on the settlements, and it reported the settlements as being abandoned, but I seem to recall that they just sailed past briefly and didn't go ashore to make sure--the first expedition to go ashore wasn't until much later, around 1700.  Is that roughly correct?

Viking

Quote from: dps on October 13, 2009, 03:36:11 PM
Viking, you seem to know more about this than Cal or I.  I do remember reading about the Danish government sending out an expedition around 1525 to check on the settlements, and it reported the settlements as being abandoned, but I seem to recall that they just sailed past briefly and didn't go ashore to make sure--the first expedition to go ashore wasn't until much later, around 1700.  Is that roughly correct?

The Danish Crown did send missions in the 16th and 17th century to trade and explore. But it wasn't until the 18th Century that they sent governors and priests. But it has always been a backwater.

Rasputin

Quote from: Martinus on October 13, 2009, 02:47:08 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 12:38:26 PM
:huh: Maybe in Latin, but my post was not written in Latin, was it?

"Charta" is definitely NOT in Latin.

It's Magna Carta.

You remain a confident dumbass.
Who is John Galt?

Capetan Mihali

Motown, melodrama, meprobamate, and Miller.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 08:09:46 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2009, 08:06:31 AM
Indeed nobody remember the Magna carter either.
It hasn't been 1,000 years yet. ^_^

Also it's amusing how you try to take a shot at me and don't even know how to spell "Magna Carta" correctly.  :lol:

I'm talking about Jimmy!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

So Jimmy was Magna, eh?  Liberaltard  :mad:

I Killed Kenny

Age of exploration, of course.

Caliga, about the Dutch, just look it up in Wiki, look to the Portuguese empire in 1580 and in 1640, look the gaps, they are all filled by the Dutch. They simply took over the Portuguese possessions.

Portugal became poor, because no money was ever invested in Portugal. Because Portugal thought the spice monopoly would never end, why would we need to invest in the mainland? We would just need to buy everything from the outside.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on October 14, 2009, 07:19:11 AM
So Jimmy was Magna, eh?  Liberaltard  :mad:

Wait Jimmy is a feminine noun?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Pedrito

All your achievements pale in comparison to the invention of the financial bond.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: