News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your country's greatest achievment

Started by Viking, October 13, 2009, 06:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

:huh: Maybe in Latin, but my post was not written in Latin, was it?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Rasputin

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 12:38:26 PM

It's the name of a specific document.

Who is John Galt?

The Brain

OMG LOL don't you see? Raz-Putin? He's the thing we have feared for so long finally come to pass.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Rasputin

Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2009, 12:39:41 PM
OMG LOL don't you see? Raz-Putin? He's the thing we have feared for so long finally come to pass.
:lmfao:

ttfn
Who is John Galt?

Barrister

After doing some research, I believe I have discovered Canada's greatest acheivement.

http://www.cbc.ca/inventions/inventions.html?inventionID=49

:yeah:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2009, 08:06:31 AM
Indeed nobody remember the Magna carter either.
Precisely.  They remember the Magna Carta, but the more important Magna carter of 1009, who carried what would be the Magna Carta in his wagon, is forgotten.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

BuddhaRhubarb

:LOL:
:p

Caliga

Caliga

Raz-Putin? He's the thing we have feared for so long finally come to pass.
The Russian bear who won't send his armies out of Russia for fear of the nebulous 'lions' beyond the border? :)

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 12:41:54 PM
Raz-Putin? He's the thing we have feared for so long finally come to pass.
The Russian bear who won't send his armies out of Russia for fear of the nebulous 'lions' beyond the border? :)

So basically you are saying

Georgia ∈ Russia ?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Zanza on October 13, 2009, 12:09:45 PM
There is a difference between Internet and internet?

By the way, I'd say the internet was the greatest invention of the 20th century, eclipsing stuff like spaceflight or nuclear fission. The internet has changed the daily lifes of billions and has not yet realized its full potential.
That said, spaceflight might still outdo it if it ever becomes viable for mass use.

depending on how you look at spaceflight, that too has changed the lives of billions of people, albeit in less obvious ways

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on October 13, 2009, 11:56:13 AM
Uhm, I said the Internet with the capital I. Do you have vision problems?
My dyslexia is well known.
Woops.

For the Internet its too early in the day to judge if its the best thing ever (what with it only really picking up in the last 15 years) but the signs are good that it could well be in the future.
██████
██████
██████

dps

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 09:48:45 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 13, 2009, 09:46:22 AM
The word "abandoned" suggests that anybody survived, nobody did to the best of our knowledge. They were probably wiped out by the weather and the Inuit which moved into Greenland from the canadian arctic in the 1200s
I think the most prevalent theories today are that the Inuit enslaved/killed them, or possibly Portuguese/Basques/other early seafarers enslaved/killed them.  Or it might be something as random and depressing as the remaining Greenlanders decided to evacuate Greenland due to the deteriorating conditions, and piled into one ship which sank before it reached Iceland or wherever they tried to get to.

I think that they basically just starved out.  The question of when the Norse settlement finally ended in Greenland is an interesting one as well.  Seems like anytime between 1450 and 1690 is possible, with something like 1500-1550 being most likely.

The Brain

OTOH there are still stories of a pale and blond master race of Eskimos living in very high latitudes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 12:38:26 PM

"Charta" is definitely NOT in Latin.

It's Magna Carta.