News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your country's greatest achievment

Started by Viking, October 13, 2009, 06:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

There is a difference between Internet and internet?

By the way, I'd say the internet was the greatest invention of the 20th century, eclipsing stuff like spaceflight or nuclear fission. The internet has changed the daily lifes of billions and has not yet realized its full potential.
That said, spaceflight might still outdo it if it ever becomes viable for mass use.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on October 13, 2009, 12:09:45 PM
By the way, I'd say the internet was the greatest invention of the 20th century, eclipsing stuff like spaceflight or nuclear fission. The internet has changed the daily lifes of billions and has not yet realized its full potential.

Yes, obviously.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

That said, spaceflight might still outdo it if it ever becomes viable for mass use.

The internet is cool and all, but in the 20th century I'd have to say that manned flight, the automobile, and penecillin are all greater.  They've had far more effect on far more people.  And that's just off the top of my head.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

The automobile was invented in the 19th century.

Manned flight is a good one, so is penicillin. The Green Revolution is of course a big one too. I'd still go with the internet I think. Mainly because it still has so much potential. It will become way more pervasive than it is now.

Barrister

My vote for the greatest American invention of all time is the forward pass.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2009, 12:24:14 PM

The internet is cool and all, but in the 20th century I'd have to say that manned flight, the automobile, and penecillin are all greater.  They've had far more effect on far more people.  And that's just off the top of my head.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing or neither? Both?

Zanza

Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2009, 12:07:15 PM
I would have to say that, using some conventional metric and looking at something that has had and continues to have an impact all over the world:
Based on that, I'd say that the reformation was perhaps the greatest German (not exclusively of course) positive contribution to world history.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2009, 12:25:34 PM
My vote for the greatest American invention of all time is the forward pass.

:ultra: Heisman :ultra:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Quote from: Zanza on October 13, 2009, 12:25:16 PM
It will become way more pervasive than it is now.
:yes: It is the precursor to the Human Hive Mind. :yes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2009, 12:26:03 PM

Disagreeing.  There were many greater inventions in the 20th century than the internet.

How about computers at all?  Or home computers?  Pesticides/green revolution, saving millions if not billions from starvation?  The birth control pill, saving us from Malthusian doom?

I think people like Zanza might vote for the internet because it's a change that has happened within our lifetimes, so we've seen how dramatic a change it has been.  But other things we take for granted (like penecillin) have probably caused much greater change.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on October 13, 2009, 12:28:29 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2009, 12:07:15 PM
I would have to say that, using some conventional metric and looking at something that has had and continues to have an impact all over the world:
Based on that, I'd say that the reformation was perhaps the greatest German (not exclusively of course) positive contribution to world history.

Good one.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2009, 12:31:55 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 13, 2009, 12:26:03 PM

Disagreeing.  There were many greater inventions in the 20th century than the internet.

How about computers at all?  Or home computers?  Pesticides/green revolution, saving millions if not billions from starvation?  The birth control pill, saving us from Malthusian doom?

I think people like Zanza might vote for the internet because it's a change that has happened within our lifetimes, so we've seen how dramatic a change it has been.  But other things we take for granted (like penecillin) have probably caused much greater change.

Your heresy has been noted. I will observe that a lack of humans was not a great problem in 1900.

Rasputin

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 08:09:46 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2009, 08:06:31 AM
Indeed nobody remember the Magna carter either.
It hasn't been 1,000 years yet. ^_^

Also it's amusing how you try to take a shot at me and don't even know how to spell "Magna Carta" correctly.  :lol:

Ahem...

Magna Charta
Who is John Galt?