And we're back!

Main Menu

Your country's greatest achievment

Started by Viking, October 13, 2009, 06:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on October 13, 2009, 10:34:21 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 13, 2009, 10:32:20 AM
Faking the moon landing has been our greatest technological achievement. Hollywood our greatest cultural one.  :lol:

It only doubles cultural output of one city. Hardly the greatest achievement.
:lol:

lustindarkness

Actually good point, can we include computer gaming as an achievement.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Quote from: Martinus on October 13, 2009, 10:34:21 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 13, 2009, 10:32:20 AM
Faking the moon landing has been our greatest technological achievement. Hollywood our greatest cultural one.  :lol:

It only doubles cultural output of one city. Hardly the greatest achievement.
In CivRev it allows city conversion of walled cities.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 10:29:13 AM
Argument #1 is also supported by the fact that butternuts were unearthed in the Vinland middens and IIRC do not (and did not even then) grow further north than the St. Lawrence region of Canada.

What is this Vin=Pleasant stuff of which you speak?  I thought "Vin" either meant "meadow" or "grapes".  :huh:

The Norsemen traded with the Skrælings. Vín means wine. The Vin=pleasant stuff I speak of is the "meadow" theory. The word suggested as an alternative to wine is a word which is the root for the words (in icelandic) friend, nice, pleasant and popular. The word for meadow is something completely different (tun or engi).

Today in icelandic "Vinur" = friend.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on October 13, 2009, 10:31:13 AM
How about 4; the Erikson marketing department at work again :p

He never returned to Vinland. He was much more interested in converting the Greenlanders to Christianity.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

PDH

In Languish - "Vin" means "Kentucky Physicist."
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Viking

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on October 13, 2009, 10:42:44 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 13, 2009, 10:31:13 AM
How about 4; the Erikson marketing department at work again :p

He never returned to Vinland. He was much more interested in converting the Greenlanders to Christianity.

Heh "Greenland". Another fine job of naming. Sure sounds nicer than "Iceland", doesn't it.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on October 13, 2009, 10:50:41 AM

Heh "Greenland". Another fine job of naming. Sure sounds nicer than "Iceland", doesn't it.  :D

Vikings were not good with truth in advertising. Consumer protections involved the fact that the consumer was armed and a gang of smelly vikings to help him take revenge.

Martinus

Seriously, if we are talking about the most important technological advance/invention, I think for Americans one of the strongest candidates is the Internet.

This is an invention comparable to alphabet or the printing press.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on October 13, 2009, 10:53:46 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 13, 2009, 10:50:41 AM

Vikings were not good with truth in advertising. Consumer protections involved the fact that the consumer was armed and a gang of smelly vikings to help him take revenge.

Regulatory authorities, take note.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on October 13, 2009, 10:55:49 AM
Seriously, if we are talking about the most important technological advance/invention, I think for Americans one of the strongest candidates is the Internet.
Umm, Tim Berners-Lee is British...

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on October 13, 2009, 10:59:33 AM

Al Gore isn't. :P

PDH

Quote from: Brazen on October 13, 2009, 10:59:33 AM
He said internet, not the web.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM