And we're back!

Main Menu

Your country's greatest achievment

Started by Viking, October 13, 2009, 06:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Turning Germany from a militaristic dictatorship into a democratic nation after WW2.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on October 13, 2009, 08:54:36 AM
Turning Germany from a militaristic dictatorship into a democratic nation after WW2.
The United States (along with Britain and France) did this also, at the barrel of a gun. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Viking on October 13, 2009, 08:43:08 AM
BTW: Runestones in Minnesota and Wisconsin are 19th century hoaxes.
I'm familiar with the Minnesota one (Kensington) but not one in Wisconsin.  The Kensington Runestone's authenticity has never been fully proven or disproven but like you I lean toward hoax because the context behind its alleged creation is absurd given the content of runic message ("OMG we're about to all be killed by skraelings... let's stop and carve a runestone!")

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 09:09:49 AM
The United States (along with Britain and France) did this also, at the barrel of a gun. :)

Well we have held the barrells of many guns to many people to try to get them to be Democratic.  It is always nice when somebody decides to cooperate.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2009, 09:20:04 AM
Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 09:09:49 AM

Well we have held the barrells of many guns to many people to try to get them to be Democratic.  It is always nice when somebody decides to cooperate.

I don't trust a country full of Isebrands.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 09:12:55 AM
I'm familiar with the Minnesota one (Kensington) but not one in Wisconsin.  The Kensington Runestone's authenticity has never been fully proven or disproven but like you I lean toward hoax because the context behind its alleged creation is absurd given the content of runic message ("OMG we're about to all be killed by skraelings... let's stop and carve a runestone!")

The language and runes used on the stone are not consistent with norse in the period. But most importantly Runestones were not used to say "we came here and did this" they were used for religious reasons and as gravestones.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 08:35:30 AM
Yeah, I knew about all that stuff, I was just curious what your position was.... I assumed due to your nationality you must have one. -_-

So you don't think the Norse explored any further into North America?  I mean, it's a given that they knew about Baffin Island, Labrador (from where they cut timber), and Newfoundland... so why wouldn't they have explored further south and possibly up the St. Lawrence?

They explored up to the Great Lakes and even reached modern Minnesota, before being stopped by the Packers at the Wisconsin border (wearing their traditional cheese heads), thus starting a rivalry that lasts to this day.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 13, 2009, 09:20:46 AM

The shitty part about making countries Democracies is they rarely vote the way we want them to.  Bloody foreigners.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Viking on October 13, 2009, 09:23:16 AM
The language and runes used on the stone are not consistent with norse in the period. But most importantly Runestones were not used to say "we came here and did this" they were used for religious reasons and as gravestones.
Are you sure about that?  Isn't there a runestone in northern Greenland (on or near Disko Island) that simply says something like "Magnus Jonsson and Sigr Olesson were here"?

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 08:35:30 AM
Yeah, I knew about all that stuff, I was just curious what your position was.... I assumed due to your nationality you must have one. -_-

So you don't think the Norse explored any further into North America?  I mean, it's a given that they knew about Baffin Island, Labrador (from where they cut timber), and Newfoundland... so why wouldn't they have explored further south and possibly up the St. Lawrence?

Baffin Island is almost certainly Helluland (rock or tile land), Labrador is almost certainly Markland (Lumber land) and Newfoundland is almost certainly Vinland (wine or pleasant land).

As for further exploration, you have to appreciate the scale here. The settlement of Vinland was a private operation by one Viking Chieftain and his family, followers and slaves. He had only two or three small ships and no support from outside. The Greenland settlement had at most a thousand inhabitants. The society out there is just too small and remote to be able to make use of timber to build ships and to export anything other than goods such as Walrus Ivory.

I've read/heard that the Norse in Greenland had a fairly thriving colony, were able to grow food and raise livestock. The climate there was warmer at the time which enabled the colonists to do well enough (a warmer period in the Earth's climate?). But as the climate turned colder the colony was eventually abandoned.

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on October 13, 2009, 09:25:57 AM
I've read/heard that the Norse in Greenland had a fairly thriving colony, were able to grow food and raise livestock. The climate there was warmer at the time which enabled the colonists to do well enough (a warmer period in the Earth's climate?). But as the climate turned colder the colony was eventually abandoned.
Yes.  There is however debate about what exactly happened to the Greenlanders.

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2009, 09:25:23 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 13, 2009, 09:20:46 AM

The shitty part about making countries Democracies is they rarely vote the way we want them to.  Bloody foreigners.
Who says you have to impose democracy just once?

Duque de Bragança

Easy one :)

Launching the Age of Exploration.