News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your country's greatest achievment

Started by Viking, October 13, 2009, 06:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Alatriste on October 13, 2009, 07:56:07 AM
Come on, Yanks... to put Apollo and the bomb before the Constitution (for example) is not right.
In 1,000 years, the Constitution will be forgotten.  In 1,000 years, mankind will either be extinct due to nuclear weapons or will rely completely on energy production derived from nuclear fission/fusion. :smarty:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 08:02:43 AM
Quote from: Alatriste on October 13, 2009, 07:56:07 AM
Come on, Yanks... to put Apollo and the bomb before the Constitution (for example) is not right.
In 1,000 years, the Constitution will be forgotten.  In 1,000 years, mankind will either be extinct due to nuclear weapons or will rely completely on energy production derived from nuclear fission/fusion. :smarty:

Indeed nobody remember the Magna carter either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2009, 08:06:31 AM
It hasn't been 1,000 years yet. ^_^

Also it's amusing how you try to take a shot at me and don't even know how to spell "Magna Carta" correctly.  :lol:

Alexandru H.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Warspite

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 08:09:46 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2009, 08:06:31 AM
It hasn't been 1,000 years yet. ^_^

Yes, who today speaks of Roman Law.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Martinus

Valmy

Inventing Rock n' Roll and Coca Cola.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

Running most of the world.

We're not selfish, we gave most of it back.

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 07:51:24 AM
Viking:

1.  Where was it located?
2.  How far did the Norse get into North America in their explorations?

1. Best theory is Newfoundland. We have Norse archeology from the 11th century on Newfoundland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Anse_aux_Meadows . Newfoundland also fits the descriptions given in the Sagas and the limitations of Norse navigation.

There have been other locations suggested. This has been done because the Sagas talk about grapes. The problem with those hypotheses is that in West Norse (the language of the Sagas) and modern Icelandic Grape is literally "wine berry" and that up until the 20th century all parts of Scandinavia made wine from berries. These extra suggested sites include Cape Cod and Long Island. But there is agreement among the historians and archaeologists that it was Newfoundland.   

2. It did not go far. The Greenlander Saga and The Saga of Erik the Red both agree that there was one settlement which was abandoned after the first winter. Settling Greenland was a better option for the Norsemen before the little Ice Age hit. There were no more than 50 Norse settlers in Vinland.

Now, for my own personal conspiracy theory. There was communication between Greenland and Scandinavia up until the late 14th century. The Greenlander Saga and the Saga of Erik the Red were written in the 12th and 13th century. And furthermore during the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries there were repeated trade wars between the Danish, English and German traders fighting for the salt fish trade for lent. We have documented English "Vikings" and fishermen operating in and around Iceland from the 14th Century onwards. My conspiracy theory (unsupported hypothesis) is that Bristol fishermen who fished around Iceland knew about Greenland and Vinland. The Newfoundland Grand Banks was one of the richest fishing grounds in the world. I find it plausible that the Bristol fishermen were fishing the Grand Banks. So when John Cabot is sent to find the land beyond the seat in 1498 that Columbus had found he took a ship and crew of Bristol sailors to find the land beyond the sea. The Bristol sailors took him AGAINST the Gulf Stream straight in the wrong direction (north west as opposed to the south west towards Columbus' discovery) straight to the only other place where white men had been in America.

And why was this "secret", well, that is because all fishermen keep their best fishing sites secret.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Yeah, I knew about all that stuff, I was just curious what your position was.... I assumed due to your nationality you must have one. -_-

So you don't think the Norse explored any further into North America?  I mean, it's a given that they knew about Baffin Island, Labrador (from where they cut timber), and Newfoundland... so why wouldn't they have explored further south and possibly up the St. Lawrence?

Caliga

Quote from: Warspite on October 13, 2009, 08:28:19 AM
Ok, I concede "remembered" was not the best choice of words.  But nuclear physics > TEH LAW.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 08:36:20 AM
Ok, I concede "remembered" was not the best choice of words.  But nuclear physics > TEH LAW.

I disagree. Just look at Rome - only a total idiot would argue that the greatest achievement Rome contributed to the world was, say, a turtle formation or a pilum, over the Roman law. In fact, law survives and their technological developments are too outdated now to be of any value. Considering the technological progress is speeding up, rather than slowing down, AND assuming we won't see the collapse of human civilization, I dare say American political and social achievements would be viewed as more important than its inventions.

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 08:35:30 AM
Yeah, I knew about all that stuff, I was just curious what your position was.... I assumed due to your nationality you must have one. -_-

So you don't think the Norse explored any further into North America?  I mean, it's a given that they knew about Baffin Island, Labrador (from where they cut timber), and Newfoundland... so why wouldn't they have explored further south and possibly up the St. Lawrence?

Baffin Island is almost certainly Helluland (rock or tile land), Labrador is almost certainly Markland (Lumber land) and Newfoundland is almost certainly Vinland (wine or pleasant land).

As for further exploration, you have to appreciate the scale here. The settlement of Vinland was a private operation by one Viking Chieftain and his family, followers and slaves. He had only two or three small ships and no support from outside. The Greenland settlement had at most a thousand inhabitants. The society out there is just too small and remote to be able to make use of timber to build ships and to export anything other than goods such as Walrus Ivory.

BTW: Runestones in Minnesota and Wisconsin are 19th century hoaxes.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 08:36:20 AM

I would more generically say being the engine for the vast scientific advances humanity has enjoyed in the 20th and 21st centuries.

Sure, nuclear energy is pretty incredible, but there is so much shit the US has done, or led the way on, in the field of science and medicine, it seems impossible to pick any one thing and say that is more important than the rest.

Are nukes bigger than the airplane?
Are airplanes bigger than the information age revolution?
Is that bigger than, I don't know, saving the lives of premature infants? Or organ transplant? Or the AIDS treatment?

Of course, the US did not do any of those things on their own, not even nukes (thanks Albert).
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned