And we're back!

Main Menu

Your country's greatest achievment

Started by Viking, October 13, 2009, 06:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tamas

Surviving. We are the first people to do that in this Basin. Well, at least we have set a new record.

Jaron

Quote from: Tamas on October 13, 2009, 07:04:54 AM
Surviving. We are the first people to do that in this Basin. Well, at least we have set a new record.

You gypsies are indeed quite resilient.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

"Not being wiped out" seems like a pretty weak greatest achievement to me, guys.

...unless you're the Jews. :contract:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 07:10:05 AM
"Not being wiped out" seems like a pretty weak greatest achievement to me, guys.

They got gassed by HCN, we were gassed by HFl. Not getting wiped out is still an achievement.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 13, 2009, 06:24:02 AM
FYI I read a blurb in the NYT that Sunday was officially Lief Ericson Day in the US.

We call him Leif the Lucky.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 07:42:13 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 13, 2009, 07:34:17 AM
We call him Leif the Lucky.
So what's your opinion re: Vinland? :)

Be more specific. Vinland good vs bad or real vs not real or grapes vs berries or newfoundland vs long island or fiction vs reality? Many topics, which one?

Martinus

More or less continual existence despite being placed between Germany and Russia.

Caliga

Viking:

1.  Where was it located?
2.  How far did the Norse get into North America in their explorations?

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 07:10:05 AM

Well, it's not an achievement when you are placed between Canada and Mexico. :P

Caliga

Well, in the case of Hungary: what about producing Franz Liszt?  Poland: Stanislaw Lem? :)

Alatriste

Come on, Yanks... to put Apollo and the bomb before the Constitution (for example) is not right.

For Iberia (Spain & Portugal, sorry guys but we are divided only by accident... a sorry circumstance that I hope to see reversed in 20 or 30 years), I would say our greatest achievement would be to create one of the biggest communities on Earth, probably the second after the Chinese. Others have created great empires, but other than the Romans, the Muslims and perhaps the Chinese themselves, they didn't even try to assimilate natives like Iberians did.

Just to quote an early example, the two surviving sons of Montezuma, baptized as Pedro and Isabel, and his descendants received Spanish titles: Isabel's were Counts of Miravalle, Pedro's Counts (later Dukes) Montezuma of Tultengo (Pedro was known as "the Prince" during his life). Allegedly only Hernan Cortez himself owned more lands than them (incidentally he too received a title, Charles V made him Marquis of the Valley of Oaxaca).

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Alatriste