When experiencing art, are you bothered by the artist's views/actions?

Started by Martinus, October 11, 2009, 01:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When you watch/experience a work of art, is your perception of that art affected by the person of the artist?

No. The art exists independently of the artist.
11 (34.4%)
Yes, but only if the aspect of the artist (e.g. his views or past behaviours) you disagree with feature in his art.
8 (25%)
Yes, it colors my perception somewhat, but I try to watch the work of art anyway.
5 (15.6%)
Yes, and I actively boycott the work of art of the artist with whom I disagree.
8 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Martinus

Roman Polanski. Eminem. Prince. Sean Penn.

All hold views and opinions, and/or engage in activities that many people may find questionable. At the same time, all are recognized artists in their field.

I wonder to what extent your judgement of the artist enters the picture when you appreciate his or her art?

The Brain

Yes, but only if the aspect of the artist (e.g. his views or past behaviours) you disagree with feature in his art.

Most Swedish artists are Communists so if I couldn't look past that I would be locked out of some good stuff.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Rasputin

Insofar as an artist uses his celebrity as a political soap box I will use my power of the purse to not indirectly support the artist.
Who is John Galt?

Martinus

For me it largely depends on the type of art. I am less likely to be annoyed by a painter's or an actor's views than I am by someone who writes his own lines (whether lyrics or poems or novels). I guess this would fit with the second option, largely.

But I have also reacted quite strongly (i.e. boycott) if some artist I actually used to enjoy suddenly came out of woodwork with some horribly disagreeable views (this is the case of Prince).

I guess my reaction would also depend if we are talking about boycotting a "one man show" (a concert or a book, for example) or a cooperative enterprise in which that artist is just one of many (e.g. a movie).

Tonitrus

Meh, I don't care for the "art" of those three examples anyway.

A real lighting-rod would be Wagner.

The Brain

I make a point of only sending postcards painted by A. Hitler.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Neil

What the hell did Prince do that was objectionable?

Oh wait, look who's posting.  I bet I can guess.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on October 11, 2009, 01:49:35 PM

All hold views and opinions, and/or engage in activities that many people may find questionable. At the same time, all are recognized artists in their field.

I wonder to what extent your judgement of the artist enters the picture when you appreciate his or her art?
I think Polanski as a person is much less honest and moral than, say, Oliver Stone, but I don't see his dishonesty in his films, so don't consider that his direction when I choose a film to watch.  Stone tries to pass off his lies as truth in the films, and so I won't watch them, by and large.

Ditto for the difference between, say, arch-conservative novelists like Mark Helprin and Ayn Rand (though the qualitative difference between their styles would make Helprin infinitely better in any case) or arch-liberal historians like Arthur Schlesinger and Michael Ignatieff.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 11, 2009, 02:13:40 PM

The Wipeout co-host? I approve.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 11, 2009, 02:13:40 PM

The first thought that went into my mind, is that Marty considers these people artists.  Jeez.  What a fucking philistine. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on October 11, 2009, 01:49:35 PM

No, the art exists independently of the artist.  Example: Tom Cruise is a good actor (stfu, just accept it for the sake of argument), and I enjoy and will pay to see films with Tom Cruise in them if they seem otherwise cool, despite the fact that Tom Cruise is probably batshit insane.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on October 11, 2009, 02:20:05 PM
What the hell did Prince do that was objectionable?

Well, there was that time he dropped his name and went by some weird symbol.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Fate