When experiencing art, are you bothered by the artist's views/actions?

Started by Martinus, October 11, 2009, 01:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When you watch/experience a work of art, is your perception of that art affected by the person of the artist?

No. The art exists independently of the artist.
11 (34.4%)
Yes, but only if the aspect of the artist (e.g. his views or past behaviours) you disagree with feature in his art.
8 (25%)
Yes, it colors my perception somewhat, but I try to watch the work of art anyway.
5 (15.6%)
Yes, and I actively boycott the work of art of the artist with whom I disagree.
8 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Faeelin

Eh. I have a hard time not being; I thought Card's reading sucked after I found out he was fucking crazy, and I'm iffy buying anything by Stross now that I know he thought Palin was being set up by Wall Street to be Evita Peron for their dictatorship.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on October 12, 2009, 02:11:12 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 09:42:02 AM
Not all people who hate gays do it because they met me.  <_<
Perhaps, but the generalization holds true on Languish, at least.

Not really. In fact I can't think of any person on Languish who met me in person - save Berkut - who hates me. :P

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 04:57:17 PM

Not really. In fact I can't think of any person on Languish who met me in person - save Berkut - who hates me. :P

Hate and scorn are not the same thing Mart :P
:p

Barrister

:zipped:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jos Theelen

No.

I like classical music, but I am not interested in the opinion or actions of composers like Bach, Chopin, etc. They were probably anti-Semite, racist and homophoob. Does that change the quality of their music?

Caliga

You met Berkut in person?  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on October 13, 2009, 07:16:06 AM
You met Berkut in person?  :huh:

He has. Berk went to London, they held a meeting.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2009, 02:32:28 AM

:zipped:

Ass. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Jos Theelen on October 13, 2009, 03:43:11 AM
No.

I like classical music, but I am not interested in the opinion or actions of composers like Bach, Chopin, etc. They were probably anti-Semite, racist and homophoob. Does that change the quality of their music?

I think a lot depends on whether these are dead people from a different age, or people living today.

PDH

Quote from: Martinus on October 13, 2009, 09:17:41 AM
I think a lot depends on whether these are dead people from a different age, or people living today.
What about dead people from today?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Faeelin

Why should that be so?

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on October 13, 2009, 09:40:27 AM
What about dead people from today?

Is this like Dorsey aging Miami Hurricane players?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Faeelin on October 13, 2009, 10:16:50 AM

Why should that be so?

Do you really have to ask? At least two reasons I can think off the top of my head:

1. Different standards. Views considered offensive today may have been mainstream and widely held in the past. (E.g. accusing Homer of being sexist).

2. At least for me, a part of the motivation to boycott an artist whose views I find offensive is not to contribute to his financial welfare by buying his stuff. Of course this is absent when he is dead.

BuddhaRhubarb

well luckily for you Marti living artists usually get very little of the money generated by their art. You'd be better off boycotting Sony or EMI.
:p

The Brain

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 13, 2009, 12:07:32 PM
well luckily for you Marti living artists usually get very little of the money generated by their art. You'd be better off boycotting Sony or EMI.

Logic?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.