When experiencing art, are you bothered by the artist's views/actions?

Started by Martinus, October 11, 2009, 01:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When you watch/experience a work of art, is your perception of that art affected by the person of the artist?

No. The art exists independently of the artist.
11 (34.4%)
Yes, but only if the aspect of the artist (e.g. his views or past behaviours) you disagree with feature in his art.
8 (25%)
Yes, it colors my perception somewhat, but I try to watch the work of art anyway.
5 (15.6%)
Yes, and I actively boycott the work of art of the artist with whom I disagree.
8 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 30

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 08:06:14 AM
Quote from: Caliga on October 12, 2009, 08:04:33 AM
So wait... when did Prince start hating gays?  :huh:

Some time 6 months ago or so. He gave some interview where he came out as this rabid Christian fundie.  :huh:
Wow, you met Prince 6 months ago?  :w00t:

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on October 12, 2009, 09:30:44 AM

Some time 6 months ago or so. He gave some interview where he came out as this rabid Christian fundie.  :huh:
Wow, you met Prince 6 months ago?  :w00t:

Not all people who hate gays do it because they met me.  <_<

Savonarola

Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 01:31:29 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on October 11, 2009, 06:18:47 PM
option two.

I'm am not a fan of New Criticism, as I believe Art has context, which it cannot be seperated from.

So when you see what a loser Nietzsche was, or what a political failure Machiavelli was, you pretty much have to reappraise their works.

The problem with this example is that neither Nietzsche nor Machiavelli were artists. ;)

Machiavelli was; in addition to being a statesman and a political philosopher, Machiavelli wrote novels, plays and poems. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

MadImmortalMan

Voted the second option. When they inject the bad parts of their personality/ideology into the art. Ex: Terry Goodkind.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

I honestly try to know as little about the artist as possible so I can enjoy their art for what it is.  If they become so public with their craziness that even I know about it, despite my best interests, then yes I will do my best to avoid their art in the future.

I also do not need to know if, for example, an actor playing a big sports fan character is actualy a big sports fan.  It colors how I judge their performance so I really do not want to know anything about actors specifically.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

BuddhaRhubarb

He's been a JW (practicing and going to people's ho,mes with Watchtowers and everything) for several years now. it's not news in the least.
:p

ulmont

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 12, 2009, 11:49:12 AM
Voted the second option. When they inject the bad parts of their personality/ideology into the art. Ex: Terry Goodkind.

Orson Scott Card, John Ringo...

Caliga

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 12, 2009, 12:01:54 PM
He's been a JW (practicing and going to people's ho,mes with Watchtowers and everything) for several years now. it's not news in the least.
It is to someone like me who doesn't give a rat's ass about Prince.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Your example has nothing to do with art. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2009, 09:42:02 AM
Not all people who hate gays do it because they met me.  <_<
Perhaps, but the generalization holds true on Languish, at least.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Savonarola on October 12, 2009, 11:42:05 AM

Machiavelli was; in addition to being a statesman and a political philosopher, Machiavelli wrote novels, plays and poems.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.  I did read his play the Mandrake Root.  Still I don't think his difficulty getting a job can really be considered in him writing a sex comedy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2009, 02:09:10 PM

Your example has nothing to do with art. :huh:

True 'nuff.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers