When experiencing art, are you bothered by the artist's views/actions?

Started by Martinus, October 11, 2009, 01:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When you watch/experience a work of art, is your perception of that art affected by the person of the artist?

No. The art exists independently of the artist.
11 (34.4%)
Yes, but only if the aspect of the artist (e.g. his views or past behaviours) you disagree with feature in his art.
8 (25%)
Yes, it colors my perception somewhat, but I try to watch the work of art anyway.
5 (15.6%)
Yes, and I actively boycott the work of art of the artist with whom I disagree.
8 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 30

garbon

Quote from: Neil on October 11, 2009, 02:20:05 PM
What the hell did Prince do that was objectionable?

Oh wait, look who's posting.  I bet I can guess.

Yes, you already know the answer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

saskganesh

option two.

I'm am not a fan of New Criticism, as I believe Art has context, which it cannot be seperated from.

So when you see what a loser Nietzsche was, or what a political failure Machiavelli was, you pretty much have to reappraise their works.
humans were created in their own image

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

To put it in layman terms: when I see a movie, I don't give a damn about the personal background of the actors. 

grumbler

Quote from: Monoriu on October 11, 2009, 08:04:06 PM
To put it in layman terms: when I see a movie, I don't give a damn about the personal background of the actors.
Actors are probably the worst example one can use (which explains why Ide focused on acting, even if he is wrong about Cruise's "ability" to act) - actors have little ability to interject their politics or beliefs into their roles.  They are paid to do what the director tells them to do.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: saskganesh on October 11, 2009, 06:18:47 PM
So when you see what a loser Nietzsche was, or what a political failure Machiavelli was, you pretty much have to reappraise their works.
Only if your initial appraisal depended, for some bizarre reason, on Nietzsche being a winner or Machiavelli getting that job.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

Quote from: grumbler on October 11, 2009, 08:39:29 PM
Actors are probably the worst example one can use (which explains why Ide focused on acting, even if he is wrong about Cruise's "ability" to act) - actors have little ability to interject their politics or beliefs into their roles.  They are paid to do what the director tells them to do.

I'll rephrase - when I see B5, I don't care about the personal background or beliefs of JMS  ;)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on October 11, 2009, 08:54:42 PM
I'll rephrase - when I see B5, I don't care about the personal background or beliefs of JMS  ;)

There's no need to, it's all woven into the script.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Why is this necessarily a negative thing? Knowing about the author/artist, etc. can sometimes be illuminating.

I'm sure that knowing a certain author was gay, makes that person's works more valuable and attractive to you, Mart, no?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

QuoteOn their 50th anniversary, a wife found the negligee she wore on her wedding night and put it on. 

She went to her husband, a retired Sailor, and asked, "Honey, do you remember this ?"

He looked up from his newspaper and said, "Yes Dear, I do. You wore that same negligee the night we were married."

She said, "Yes, that's right.  Do you remember what you said to me that night ?"

He nodded and said, "Yes dear, I said, 'Oh baby, I'm going to suck the life out of those tits and screw your brains out.'"

She giggled and said, "That's exactly what you said.  So now it's fifty years later, and I'm in the same negligee.  What do you have to say tonight ?"

He looked her up and down and said, "Mission accomplished!!"

garbon

Better when it says something like marine.  Sailor is a little too gay.

dps

Quote from: grumbler on October 11, 2009, 08:39:29 PM

They can, however, sometimes have the pull in Hollywood to be largely responsible for a movie getting made at all.  See John Travolta and Battlefield Earth.  Well, actually, do yourself a favor and don't see Battlefield Earth.

DontSayBanana

In the case of performers, I really don't factor it in; there's the actor, and there's the caricature, and some of the real actors behind the contrived personae are damn near impossible to gauge (Eminem, Stephen Colbert, etc.).
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

Can you think of a better single word to describe the acts of looking at a painting or sculpture, hearing music, watching a movie and reading a book?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?