Careers you dreamed about doing but were too afraid to try?

Started by Martinus, October 09, 2009, 03:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2009, 03:36:46 PM
Why the fascination with being a writer/journalist?  :huh:

Perhaps it's from being the son of a writer (in particular, a sports writer) but it seems that while journalism has its perks, it doesn't pay well, has lots of competition, and depending on who you talk to may be a dying industry.
Agreed.  I have no interest whatsoever in pursuing any sort of writing career, and never had.

I don't know how to answer the original post since to be honest I never dreamed of having any sort of career I was afraid to try.  :huh:

When I was younger I supposed I 'dreamed' of becoming a historian of some sort, but I took that as far as working toward the PhD before getting bored out of my mind... so I guess I tried it, sort of, and didn't like it.

Beyond that, I think it's more that I 'dreamed' about being successful, and I think I've achieved that goal.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2009, 03:36:46 PM
Why the fascination with being a writer/journalist?  :huh:

Perhaps it's from being the son of a writer (in particular, a sports writer) but it seems that while journalism has its perks, it doesn't pay well, has lots of competition, and depending on who you talk to may be a dying industry.

maybe he likes writing? Doing something as a career only because it's supposedly a good way to earn money is :bleeding: I'd much rather take home a bit less money and do something that I enjoy.
:p

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Accounting.  Just before I left Hong Kong for Canada, I figured that it was the one profession that I had the best chance of getting in and staying with.  I was single minded to become an accountant during university.  I chickened out when I got the civil service job.

Ice-cream shop operator.  I love food.  I encountered an absolutely delicious gelato shop in Berkeley.  I actually talked with the store manager about opening a shop in HK. 

Inventory management guy.  I love organizing things and optimizing their placement and procurement.  I enjoy keeping track of the number of toilet paper rolls we have in our home.  This is probably the one thing I'll truly like doing. 

Sales (of financial products).  People have been trying to sell me all sorts of financial products.  Every time they do that I can't help but think, gee these guys have no idea what they are talking about.  Perhaps I can do better...

I'll do everything I can to prevent myself from doing anything stupid.  I am a civil servant and I will retire as one.   

BuddhaRhubarb

wow what a cynical bunch. Nobody here has a career doing something they like doing? weird.

Monoriu

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 13, 2009, 08:43:01 PM
wow what a cynical bunch. Nobody here has a career doing something they like doing? weird.

I think it is rare to do something one actually likes doing.  Most people just do something they don't really mind doing. 

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Monoriu on October 13, 2009, 08:45:25 PM

I think it is rare to do something one actually likes doing.  Most people just do something they don't really mind doing. 

I'd accept that...  That's what I'm doing - something I mostly don't mind doing) but people are making it seem that you shouldn't even try to do something you enjoy if it's not some kind of lameass "hot market" Fuck that. Been there done that. Got re-training to do desktop publishing, Flash, web design etc years ago. Was I able to get work? Yes. Was I able to get paid? No... not bloody likely.  The problem with "hot careers is that they are only hot for a short time. 10 grand down the tubes as far as I'm concerned.

CountDeMoney

My mother is the only person I know that ever did what she truly wanted to do with her life, ever since she was little: that was to be a nurse, and she did it for over 40 years.

DGuller

Joking aside, I like doing what I'm doing.  I'm having a hard time thinking of a career I'd be more suited for.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2009, 08:55:12 PM

My mother is the only person I know that ever did what she truly wanted to do with her life, ever since she was little: that was to be a nurse, and she did it for over 40 years.

I know quite a few Nurses, Teachers, Doctors  and other "Professionals" who profess similar stories.

Monoriu

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 13, 2009, 08:51:57 PM

I'd accept that...  That's what I'm doing - something I mostly don't mind doing) but people are making it seem that you shouldn't even try to do something you enjoy if it's not some kind of lameass "hot market" Fuck that. Been there done that. Got re-training to do desktop publishing, Flash, web design etc years ago. Was I able to get work? Yes. Was I able to get paid? No... not bloody likely.  The problem with "hot careers is that they are only hot for a short time. 10 grand down the tubes as far as I'm concerned.

What I object to are suggestions to follow one's heart with no regard about the chance of success or financial payout. 

Caliga

Quote from: Monoriu on October 13, 2009, 09:14:50 PM
What I object to are suggestions to follow one's heart with no regard about the chance of success or financial payout.
:yes: Virtually everyone I know that has done that has failed.  That's not to say some don't succeed, but I'm not sure if the gamble is worth it.

What I do is nothing I ever planned on doing, but I thoroughly enjoy it anyway. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Monoriu on October 13, 2009, 09:14:50 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 13, 2009, 08:51:57 PM

well I never said you should do what you want without making a serious effort to understand what it entails, and taking it seriously in general. If you are flippant about it, you're doomed to fail in the first place.